Rockwell knocks one out of the park (no kidding)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my 2c worth...

Good gear plus creative vision = good/great images
Good gear plus limited creativity = limited images/snapshots
Limited gear plus creative vision = limited/good/great images.
and, for completeness...
Limited gear plus limited creative vision = snapshots

You can buy your way out of snapshots but you cannot buy your way to great images because great images require creativity and luck.

Upvote 0
R

rocketdesigner

When technology is involved in any creation, the quality of the required tool(s) do matter.

Thats not to say lesser tools cannot produce a quality product. You might be able to build a decent birdhouse with a hammer that has a broken handle and a saw with half its teeth missing ... but using a new hammer and saw probably would have resulted in a better birdhouse.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Patrick said:
Here's my 2c worth...

Good gear plus creative vision = good/great images
Good gear plus limited creativity = limited images/snapshots
Limited gear plus creative vision = limited/good/great images.
and, for completeness...
Limited gear plus limited creative vision = snapshots

You can buy your way out of snapshots but you cannot buy your way to great images because great images require creativity and luck.
Agree!

Upvote 0
rocketdesigner said:
When technology is involved in any creation, the quality of the required tool(s) do matter.

Thats not to say lesser tools cannot produce a quality product. You might be able to build a decent birdhouse with a hammer that has a broken handle and a saw with half its teeth missing ... but using a new hammer and saw probably would have resulted in a better birdhouse.

But perhaps what Ken is saying is that a man with a gold-plated, diamond-encrusted, solid platinum hammer and saw, but no idea what he is doing is not likely to outperform or even equal or come close to a thoughtful, experienced man with a plan using standard toolkit, eh?

Upvote 0
TW said:
rocketdesigner said:

But perhaps what Ken is saying is that a man with a gold-plated, diamond-encrusted, solid platinum hammer and saw, but no idea what he is doing is not likely to outperform or even equal or come close to a thoughtful, experienced man with a plan using standard toolkit, eh?

+1. When enough is enough.

Upvote 0
All I'm saying is that Ken makes a blanket statement that the camera and/or gear, doesn't matter. He puts no stipulations on the comment. I've agreed with all the posts on here, but still not my point. I guess I should rephrase that, for me it does matter. I am getting shots today I couldn't 2 years ago, and the ONLY reason is my camera.

I agree with the content and artistic arguments don't get me wrong, but that wasn't really my problem with Ken's comment. Again, I do like Ken and his website too, I just don't agree entirely with that blanket statement he says. The only reason I am getting some night sports shots that I am today is not because of anything at all other than my camera.

Upvote 0
crasher8 said:
It doesn't matter what camera you have. I have taken and produced much better work from my Elan 7 and my darkroom skills than I ever have with my 7D and L lenses.

Then take your Elan 7 out and shoot 1/2000s, ISO 25,600, f/2.8 on a 300 f/2.8L, get a rapid fire shot of an interception and print out 8 x 10's. The camera will suddenly and mysteriously matter. By the way, there is a camera today that will do that easily. A CAMERA.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
bdunbar79 said:
crasher8 said:
It doesn't matter what camera you have. I have taken and produced much better work from my Elan 7 and my darkroom skills than I ever have with my 7D and L lenses.

Then take your Elan 7 out and shoot 1/2000s, ISO 25,600, f/2.8 on a 300 f/2.8L, get a rapid fire shot of an interception and print out 8 x 10's. The camera will suddenly and mysteriously matter. By the way, there is a camera today that will do that easily. A CAMERA.

Oh yeah, I could do that on my 4x5 camera because i'm awesome. (if I still had my 4x5 gear.) ;D

http://gizmodo.com/5932550/the-single-most-awesome-photographer-at-the-olympics

Upvote 0
C

crasher8

bdunbar79 said:
crasher8 said:

Sorry this is about art not an assignment some smartass gives me. Your response is whacked on so many levels.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I've said this in the past - you can get great results out of any camera, as long as you stay within the camera's limitations. The more advanced the camera, the fewer limitations it will tend to have, which could expand creative freedom. For flowers, buildings, etc. that stay still, one can do that (quite amazingly, I may add) with an iPhone. But for anything that is moving, particularly in low-light? Much, much tougher. Again, the photographer works within the limits of whatever he/she has.

I think it just comes down to whatever you like to shoot. As a hobbyist, I'm not looking to create masterpieces or professional work- having said that, I still want to use the best tools I can afford so I can have as much freedom as possible with the highest IQ I can get. Hardly think that makes me any sort of "artist" or whatever you call it. I bet I'm not alone in this thinking, either.

P.S. Some of my favorite shots didn't come out of my DSLR, but from my P&S, iPhone, even old film camera I threw out a long time ago. You just kinda have to be at the right place at the right time sometimes

Upvote 0
crasher8 said:
bdunbar79 said:
crasher8 said:

Sorry this is about art not an assignment some smartass gives me. Your response is whacked on so many levels.

It's not a smartass comment. I'm sick of people saying the camera doesn't matter, when in certain cases, it certainly does. Depending on the situation, the camera matters. It is so stupid to say otherwise and I don't understand it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.