Rumored RF mount Cinema camera specifications [CR2]

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I think it's great the Canon is coming out with a reasonably affordable video-camera in R mount. My only worries are this:

* They should output HDMI as well as SDI with timecode.
Because when it comes to connectors: "BNCs rule, and HDMIs drool!" :ROFLMAO:
* Why have 1 cfexpress and 2 SD slots? Better is just 2 cfexpress slots to record to both simultaneously.
* It better have a quiet but effective fan to keep it cool so it can run continuously in all modes if desired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope. This is NOT available on the R. Which by extension means neither the RP. That’s a firmware fix that needs to happen ASAP.
On the R, if you go to page 3 of the C.Fn3: Operation Menu, "RF lens MF focus ring sensitivity," there are options for "Linked to rotation degree" and "Varies with rotation speed" the second of which I believe is the default, but I'm not sure since I have it set to linear. I think I changed that during my initial setup.

I haven't shot much in the way of manual focus with my one RF lens, so I can't attest to its functionality, but I wanted to make sure you knew where it was.

I'm on firmware 1.6.0

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
On the R, if you go to page 3 of the C.Fn3: Operation Menu, "RF lens MF focus ring sensitivity," there are options for "Linked to rotation degree" and "Varies with rotation speed" the second of which I believe is the default, but I'm not sure since I have it set to linear. I think I changed that during my initial setup.

I haven't shot much in the way of manual focus with my one RF lens, so I can't attest to its functionality, but I wanted to make sure you knew where it was.

I'm on firmware 1.6.0
Ok, I'll have to check that again Thanks! I was looking in the AF (purple) menus (in camera mode, not video) and it wasn't there. And I based that off the Gerald Undone video of the R5 where he shows the linear focus control setting IN the purple AF menu. There was some specific setting for making the ring linear MF response, but apparently it's in a totally different place in the R than the R5.... VERY weird. I'd like to see a firmware update to put that control IN the purple AF menu tab, because, go figure, that would be where most people would go looking for it LOL

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
* Why have 1 cfexpress and 2 SD slots? Better is just 2 cfexpress slots to record to both simultaneously.
* It better have a quiet but effective fan to keep it cool so it can run continuously in all modes if desired.

1) Absolutely on SDI. Let's hope so.
2) CFe slot for high power full res files. SD SLOTS for simplicity, compatibility and... PROXIES. Remember, this is a Cinema camera. So dual recording of RAW and Proxies is a likely given.
3) As I DOUBT Canon would bother to even think of weather sealing this for obvious reasons, the heat sinks and forced induction/exhaust cooling is all but assured.

What I'm REALLY interested to see is how Canon is going to implement these rumored built in ND Filters (assuming mechanical/glass, not electronic). It's easy to use in EF mount thanks to the space. But RF flange distance is WAY less. Not a lot of room in there for ND glass.

Anyway, ALL of this data is subject to refinement as CR gets further confirmation, which I know he is hard at work doing. An announcement on 4 weeks on such a camera is going to melt faces the way the R5 is ...well... melting in 8K

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
R1c sounds like a nice name for it
Well, yes BUT. The 1DC was so named as it shared a 1DX body. I REALLY do NOT think Canon would debut its 1RX body on this camera. So I will probably have some special/new designation as Canon has not made this body type before.

UNLESS.... They could literally take the 1DX3 body and refit it for this. I would doubt that, but maybe Canon uses all that extra room by dumping the Mirror and Pentaprism etc... for thermal. But thermals wont be near as bad as the R5 anyway for the simple fact that it ain't gonna be reading out 45MP. ;) But if they did that... Sure the 1RC would be pretty slick.

But I think we're gonna see some R5 looking body (of perhaps the R5 body itself) and it's the Cinema R5C...

Or a C100R

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yeah i was wondering how they would make it so different that it woudln't work w/ another camera with teh same mount. Maybe has to do with some specific design relevant to the internal ND squeezed into a small area?

This seems to work for the EOS-R and EOS-RP so should work for the R5 - R6 and hopefully the RF Camcorder.

Metabones T Speed Booster Ultra 0.71x Adapter for Canon Full-Frame EF-Mount Lens to Canon RF-Mount Camera

Upvote 0
All I can say is wow! I just wrote my contact at my local shop to let them know that I am interested in purchasing. For video work this will be an amazing camera. As others have noted this is the first Cine camera that is affordable by my standards. I also really like the fact that is is rumored to use the same batteries as the R5. It will be great to have two separate systems using the same batteries! I just hope that it offers internal RAW recording like the C200.

Thats the only spec I was missing from the list. Internal Raw. A must with my C200 and a desire for this new RF camera.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
True, but doesn't work the other way around – the exact issue (= if you have to start with filming line-skipped 4K – you might end up having less / no time in slow-motion. Something that needs testing to figure out if it works. There are reports of all heat sensitive modes being disabled after simply taking photos.

At the very least, if you're videoing something and the high quality modes fail (or won't start), you can fall back on "ordinary" 4K. (I recognize that's useless if you want slo-mo--though that could at least be alleviated if 1080p were available in high frame rate, which would essentially have the same data rate as 4K 30/25p, which doesn't overheat.) Other cameras, when they overheat, are complete bricks. If it's something time critical (e.g., some 'moment' at a wedding), you're SOL, whereas with regular 4K you've got something to work with.

Upvote 0
I would say not really. At least based on market absorption seems RED is used more for full on filmmaking vs canons more for docuemntary/interviews and talking heads (but also some short films). hollywood basically shoots 100% arri or red.

Another example peter mckinnon uses a c500 to shoot himself talking to the camera, but uses either mirrorless ( or back before a RED) to shoot his cinematic sequences. But the komodo is likely to cross a few barriers.

but there's no rules, you can shoot anything for anything you want.:0 just my 2c

Thanks for the insight. All I know about RED is that they are a deeply respected name in the industry. This new RED Komodo / Stormtrooper could be the weapon.

To be clear, I am one of those people looking to use the R5 strictly for stills. I already have an RF50mm but no R body... yet.

I was checking into a hampton inn around the same time as a small news crew (maybe documentarians?) and walked right past a C300 that they set on the ground right outside of the front door momentarily!

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
What I'm REALLY interested to see is how Canon is going to implement these rumored built in ND Filters (assuming mechanical/glass, not electronic). It's easy to use in EF mount thanks to the space. But RF flange distance is WAY less. Not a lot of room in there for ND glass.

I guess that's why it's reported as 6 stops of ND rather than the 10 on the C200?

Which is a shame as the extra 4 stops are at times useful when wanting to shoot wide open with a fast prime in very bright sunlight at 25p.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I guess that's why it's reported as 6 stops of ND rather than the 10 on the C200?

Which is a shame as the extra 4 stops are at times useful when wanting to shoot wide open with a fast prime in very bright sunlight at 25p.
If correct, then a purely physical limitation of flange distance. The solution Is the EF-RF adapter with drop in ND. But even having a built in 6 stopper is great. That would probably still handle a wide array of situations and you can still stack the adapter or a front screw in or matte box system if need be

Upvote 0