Sadly, the 6dm2 and 5div to be obsolete shortly

Jan 29, 2011
unfocused said:
privatebydesign said:
unfocused said:
Cthulhu said:
...Are you seriously saying it's ok and fine for anyone to be selling cameras that splatter oil on their sensors? Canon certainly is not, neither is Nikon or any other brand on earth.

Whether it is dust or oil I don't know, but I can certainly confirm that the problem is real. When someone like Art Morris raises the issue, you know it's a problem. I do know that I have to clean the sensor about 10 - 20 times more frequently than I ever had to clean the 5D III or the 7D II, in fact with both of those an annual trip to CPS was sufficient.

I think a lot of the frustration 1D X II owners feel is due to Canon's failure to be transparent about the problem.

This https://garypoulton.com/tag/nikon-d600-sensor-problems/ is an oil splatter issue. A few bits here and there that anybody with can clean or clone out isn't, there is far too much talk of 'issues' when in reality the perceived symptoms are not "issues" or "problems" of any consequence.

P.S. I am not frustrated. I never sent in my 1DS MkIII's for their oil splatter recall because I cleaned the sensor myself anyway, and if the 1DX MkII gets a recall for the same thing they won't get my two for that either.

What's your point?

That because it's not a problem for you, then no one is allowed to say it is a problem? Sorry but it doesn't work that way.

That Nikon has had problems as well, so therefore it should be okay? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

That we used to have to deal with film scratches. Yeah, well, we used to have to develop film and print photos using noxious chemicals. Thank God those days are over. Trading one problem for another still means you have a problem.

As for cleaning the sensor yourself, the only sensor cleaning approved by Canon is using a blower -- no brushes, no liquids, no nothing. Yet we all know how ineffective that is. It seems like a Catch-22. Either send your camera in every week or two for a cleaning (and have it come back still needing to be cleaned, by the way) or risk voiding the warranty by cleaning it yourself.

I'm not saying Canon is terrible or doomed or that I should be able to push an underexposed image by six stops. Heck, I'm as big of a Canon fanboy as the next guy. But, when people reference a problem that has been well-documented by professionals, it's kind of pointless to argue that because you personally don't find it to be a problem, then no one else can talk about it.

The 1D X II is a great camera and has compensating advantages. But, that doesn't mean I have to be happy that anytime I shoot a scene outside, my $6,000 camera is going to leave spots all over the sky.

It is a problem. I have learned to live with it. Perhaps it is unavoidable with 1 Series cameras. I don't know. But, denying the facts only discourages Canon (and Nikon) from trying to fix it.

Of course that is not what I am saying.

What I am saying is there is an order of magnitude to symptoms and there is a tendency to elevate even the smallest one to the level of "serious issue" or "major problem" when, in fact, it is nothing but a mild inconvenience at worst or as is more normal nowadays, barely perceptible even under test conditions set up to exaggerate said symptom.

If you read through that Arthur Morris diatribe most of the people who now think they have a defective camera never even noticed the spots in their images prior to being told how to look for them! My point was does that really make it an "issue"? I think not. Besides, I practically never have an image that doesn't need some dust removing so adding in a few oil spots makes practically no difference to my workflow.

I included the Nikon link as an example of what an issue or problem does actually look like. If the sensor is getting covered in dozens of marks in as few as 20 shots then it becomes unworkable in post. Nothing I have seen from any of the 1DX MkII examples come close to this.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
I had my new d800 not just deliver oil spots on the sensor, it delivered a huge blob after a few hundred shots!
I literally soaked it up with Q-tips, cleaned the whole thing and carried on. It's never put so much as a spec of oil out since then.
Stuff happens, clean your sensor and carry on.
I can agree this would be very frustrating it becomes a daily issue tho; I don't like cleaning sensors any more than I like banding in my images.

Upvote 0
Cthulhu said:
oil splatter will show if you need to push shadows in post

No. I've shot with dirty sensors and no. Spots/dust etc show up when you lower the exposure (darken the image), increase contrast, etc. *Raising* shadows would reduce the appearance of these things a little, or otherwise have no impact on them.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Aglet said:
I had my new d800 not just deliver oil spots on the sensor, it delivered a huge blob after a few hundred shots!
I literally soaked it up with Q-tips, cleaned the whole thing and carried on. It's never put so much as a spec of oil out since then.
I can agree this would be very frustrating it becomes a daily issue tho; I don't like cleaning sensors any more than I like banding in my images.

Good job the 5DII didn't splatter the sensor with oil then ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Sporgon said:
Aglet said:

Good job the 5DII didn't splatter the sensor with oil then ;)

HAHA! I'd have driven over it with a road packer if it did that too! ;D
Only had to clean the usual landscape dust off it a few times.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
deadwrong said:
5div or 6d2 LOL - are you kidding me? Why cant Canon do this?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d850/nikon-d850A.HTM

I feel bad for the poor schmucks that bought 5div (6d2 is laughable now). Canon will have no choice but the fire back with better tech and your 5div and 6d2 (BAHAHA) will be a joke.

So sad.

You mean the 6D2 is laughable because someone released a far more expensive camera that is not even in the same target market. You really are desperate aren't you.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Diko said:
Nope. But still 5D4 is NOT 850D on a few levels:

• Less MPs (yeah I know what 5DsR is)
  • no tillt
  • NO bluetooth.

U know what I hate the most?

Their damn mobile app Canon connect always ask me why I don't turn on bluetooth on my camera. Like they mock at me for purchasing their inferior product. :/

Nikon D850 - no GPS?
No log profiles for video?
Poor wifi
Crap service

How dumb.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Diko said:

• no tillt
  • NO bluetooth.

Their damn mobile app Canon connect always ask me why I don't turn on bluetooth on my camera. Like they mock at me for purchasing their inferior product. :/

Nikon D850 - no GPS?
Poor wifi
Crap service

How dumb.

Sorry to be off-topic, but where are you that you have good Canon service? Statistically speaking, well, I can't because I've had only two experiences - but both experiences have been bad. Right now, my 80D is who knows where, because they did not ship it to the very clearly stated address. Sorry to whine, but I want to know of a good service center.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
chrysoberyl said:
Mikehit said:
Diko said:

• no tillt
  • NO bluetooth.

Nikon D850 - no GPS?
Poor wifi
Crap service

How dumb.

Sorry to be off-topic, but where are you that you have good Canon service? Statistically speaking, well, I can't because I've had only two experiences - but both experiences have been bad. Right now, my 80D is who knows where, because they did not ship it to the very clearly stated address. Sorry to whine, but I want to know of a good service center.

The service centre I have used in the UK is excellent

But even allowing for the vagaries of individual centres, the basic description of the service from Canon is beyond what Nikon or Sony offer.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
chrysoberyl said:
Mikehit said:
Diko said:

• no tillt
  • NO bluetooth.

Nikon D850 - no GPS?
Poor wifi
Crap service

How dumb.

I have never had anything but superb service from Canon in the ten+ occasions I have sent them broken or warranty repairs.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
chrysoberyl said:
privatebydesign said:
I have never had anything but superb service from Canon in the ten+ occasions I have sent them broken or warranty repairs.

Are you stateside? My experience is with the Newport News, USA center.

I do appreciate your more statistically accurate assessment.

Yes, I have used the Virginia and New Jersey Factory Service Centers and both have been great, though I preferred the turnaround and communication I get from NJ and only send stuff there now.

Upvote 0
chrysoberyl said:
privatebydesign said:

Are you stateside? My experience is with the Newport News, USA center.

I do appreciate your more statistically accurate assessment.

My experience with both Newport News and New Jersey has been consistently outstanding. The best service, support and communication I've received with any consumer product. Its certainly a tiny sampling, but the other enthusiast and pros I know who shoot Canon, all report nothing but positive experiences as well.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
deadwrong said:

I feel bad for the poor schmucks that bought 5div (6d2 is laughable now). Canon will have no choice but the fire back with better tech and your 5div and 6d2 (BAHAHA) will be a joke.

So sad.

I feel bad for the poor trolls who don't seem to grasp that the 5D IV and the 6D II will take excellent photos for many years to come - as will the Nikon D850 - as will every other ILC camera. The joke is on those who follow the better specs and waste uncounted time and money changing systems, buying and selling lenses and other accessories - and then discovering the differences between cameras and brands in actual usage is so small as to be meaningless.

So sad.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Better, they buy the latest greatest, and their pics still suck.

dak723 said:
deadwrong said:

So sad.

I feel bad for the poor trolls who don't seem to grasp that the 5D IV and the 6D II will take excellent photos for many years to come - as will the Nikon D850 - as will every other ILC camera. The joke is on those who follow the better specs and waste uncounted time and money changing systems, buying and selling lenses and other accessories - and then discovering the differences between cameras and brands in actual usage is so small as to be meaningless.

So sad.

Upvote 0