Safe to buy a 7D2?

Aug 22, 2013
takesome1 said:
Ruined said:
Marsu42 said:
Ruined said:
I've noticed a lot of complaints of AI Servo AF issues on this camera since launch, and those that sent to Canon needed to often have their shutter and mirror box replaced in numerous cases. It seems to be a common repair thread.

"Numerous cases"? If you assume that 2/3rd of people having problems with their 7d2 are very verbal on the Internet, and tons of 7d2 sold the issues are next to none - as always with mass-marketed gear, Canon wouldn't risk a real big repair callback.

And then of course there are those folks who think having howmany af points means you don't need skill to operate the camera anymore and find themselves wondering why the pictures are kinda "soft" and don't look like in the nature mags sooc.

That explanation doesn't make the most sense for a few reasons:
1. Far more 70D cameras sold, far less problems reported
2. Virtually all of the 7D2 reported problems were with AF accuracy
3. The same problems were spread across all different sites with people of different skill levels
4. It seems most who sent their camera in for repair had the same repair completed, mirror box and shutter replacement which fixed the issue

Reading between the lines, it appears to be that a larger than usual batch of defective hardware went out with the initial batch of 7D2 cameras based on all the chatter. Question is, how big, and what manufacture dates are definitely not affected?

I have only seen one on this site that had the replacement you mention in 4. Others have sent in bodies and they calibrated them. Mine the report said something was out of alignment. As someone who had a problem and have been watching the forums about 7D II problems I find your conclusions to be inaccurate.

These issues were repaired at no charge by Canon. Mine took 7 days from the time I dropped it off at Fedex until it was returned to my door.

Safe to buy a 7D II, very IMO.

But even in your case, it appears a hardware adjustment (not just AFMA) was needed. Doesn't that seem a bit odd that so many are needing to send in their 7D2 bodies?

Upvote 0
Ruined said:
takesome1 said:
Ruined said:
Marsu42 said:
Ruined said:
I've noticed a lot of complaints of AI Servo AF issues on this camera since launch, and those that sent to Canon needed to often have their shutter and mirror box replaced in numerous cases. It seems to be a common repair thread.

"Numerous cases"? If you assume that 2/3rd of people having problems with their 7d2 are very verbal on the Internet, and tons of 7d2 sold the issues are next to none - as always with mass-marketed gear, Canon wouldn't risk a real big repair callback.

And then of course there are those folks who think having howmany af points means you don't need skill to operate the camera anymore and find themselves wondering why the pictures are kinda "soft" and don't look like in the nature mags sooc.

That explanation doesn't make the most sense for a few reasons:
1. Far more 70D cameras sold, far less problems reported
2. Virtually all of the 7D2 reported problems were with AF accuracy
3. The same problems were spread across all different sites with people of different skill levels
4. It seems most who sent their camera in for repair had the same repair completed, mirror box and shutter replacement which fixed the issue

Reading between the lines, it appears to be that a larger than usual batch of defective hardware went out with the initial batch of 7D2 cameras based on all the chatter. Question is, how big, and what manufacture dates are definitely not affected?

I have only seen one on this site that had the replacement you mention in 4. Others have sent in bodies and they calibrated them. Mine the report said something was out of alignment. As someone who had a problem and have been watching the forums about 7D II problems I find your conclusions to be inaccurate.

These issues were repaired at no charge by Canon. Mine took 7 days from the time I dropped it off at Fedex until it was returned to my door.

Safe to buy a 7D II, very IMO.

But even in your case, it appears a hardware adjustment (not just AFMA) was needed. Doesn't that seem a bit odd that so many are needing to send in their 7D2 bodies?

The 1D x had a few issues at release. Those that bought those bodies still thinks it is a great camera.
I don't think it is odd on a new release. As long as Canon honors the warranty and the problem can be corrected it is no issue at all.

Upvote 0
I'm one who bought early (end of October 2014) and have been back and forth and think I have a good copy. Originally I think most of my problems were operator error, and steep learning curve with the af, also, I don't give a poop about a photo unless focus is On Target so I changed all my servo case settings to reflect that -focus priority and don't fire unless you get focus, your darn camera. Once I did that, the only issues are my ability to tell the camera what I need.

In some respects, I think -as a group - those who want a 7D2 are more educated and understand how to test and get the best out of the camera vs those that would buy a 70D... So any manufacturing tolerances that aren't up to snuff are being ferreted out more.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the camera to anyone, with the byline that careful testing In Good Light is highly recommended if you like to see tack sharp at 100%. As noted, a purchase from a reputable dealer with a good return policy in the event of any issues is a smart move. JMHO.

Upvote 0
I have the same camera, I've never sent it in, and I've figured out that the problems are with the operator - not the camera, although apparently there are some assembly problems with the mirror box that does show up on a few.

This camera does have quirks, and the biggest is getting all the right techniques to get the best out of the camera. This sensor gets muddy if you under expose. Many times I see someone saying their pictures aren't sharp, or there are MFA issues, and the thing I notice with a lot of them is they are under exposed. Practicing ETTR with this camera/sensor makes a difference, particularly with higher iso shots. However, when it nails it, it nails it for me, no question. MFA/Testing in white florescent lighting is not recomeded (which is what I did first, big 'doh!') And will throw you off. I had dialed in MFA when testing under those conditions, then I realized it was making the focus worse, and pulled all the mfa off and now I can get razor sharp, as I should be. In AI servo, I don't want the shot unless it is tack sharp, so I make sure the settings are like that, and now I do get what I want, although it means the camera will 'hang' before snapping the shutter sometimes. That goes back to developing a technique that will work for me and the camera to get what I need.

I have no regrets buying this camera, and would get another one if the 5D3 hasn't become so cheap - I'm going to get another body, and it will be either another 7DII or 5D3 - my second body at the moment is a 5DII - which I love the image quality and hate the AF - but it is a capable camera in its own right.

Upvote 0
Hi,
NancyP said:
I am waiting to update my 5 year old non-Retina Mac computer with 10.6.8 OS, and then to update Lr4 to Lr6, which only works on 10.9 and 10.10, and THEN I can use Lr to handle the files of a 7D2. Q4? My current action camera is a 60D, and it plays well with my copy of the 400 f/5.6L.
I just use ADC to convert the 7D2 RAW to DNG, so I can still use my LR 4 to process the image from 7D2... LR6 doesn't seem to have much improvement on the basic processing function and performance.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Pixel said:
So what happened to our firmware that was sure to be released early this week?

It was a rumor from a user that sent their camera in for repair and heard it from a customer service rep. I'm not saying the information is bad but I wouldn't hold my breath on the timeline.

That said I went ahead and shipped my camera in because even if there is a firmware release that improves AF it doesn't mean that there also isn't a hardware issue.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Ruined said:
Canon should issue an internal recall to retailers and get all bodies to 1.04... Though now it appears that FW has issues also (lockups)!

If there is a hardware issue, Canon should issue a public recall for all suspected S/Ns and get these bodies fixed. This is supposed to be a pro crop camera, not an entry level camera.

No, that's not over-reacting at all to what amounts to a tiny handful of actual problem cameras...

:eek:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Ruined said:
If there is a hardware issue, Canon should issue a public recall for all suspected S/Ns and get these bodies fixed. This is supposed to be a pro crop camera, not an entry level camera.

If there is a widespread hardware issue Canon would do just that, as they just did for the entry-level T6i/750D (which came out well after the 7DII). What does that suggest about the extent – or lack thereof – of the 7DII AF issues?

Upvote 0