Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4 Coming Soon

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
melgross said:
We’re always reading about how terrible Canon’s 50 1.4 is. Honestly, I don’t find it to be bad. Not up to the mega sized ones that have been coming out lately. But it seems that most lenses are getting bigger. These high Rez sensors are requiring Uber sharp optics.

I’d like to see what Canon comes up with.

The mega sized ones are unrealistically humongous for 50mm =X

I also like the 50mm 1.4. I actually love mine, so much so that I'm on my third. However, all three have had AF USM rings that have ended up sticking (making it impossible to focus either manually or automatically), and it's so annoying that I learned how to fix it myself. In my use scenario, it has been a work lens that gets banged around a little, but still, it's not like I'm taking it to a war zone or walking out in the pouring rain with it.

And, the 50/1.4 is kind of poopy for chromatic aberration, and focuses kind of slow compared with modern lenses.

But other than that, it is a great lens that is optically fantastic in the sense that it produces very beautiful photos. On APSC, it's a great portraiture option. I never imagined it would be so hard to improve the 50/1.4 with some modern niceties!

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
slclick said:
Somehow every thread segues into a 50 1.4 discussion. Blurghhh.

I like the idea of this new AF lens....the Canon 85 1.4 IS is out of my budget and I won't go back to another (I"ve had 2) 85 1.8s. I cannot wait for someone respectable to review it.

Don't overlook the Tamron 1.8 SP VC. It's still relatively expensive but a lot less than the Canon 85/1.4 IS.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
slclick said:

I like the idea of this new AF lens....the Canon 85 1.4 IS is out of my budget and I won't go back to another (I"ve had 2) 85 1.8s. I cannot wait for someone respectable to review it.

Don't overlook the Tamron 1.8 SP VC. It's still relatively expensive but a lot less than the Canon 85/1.4 IS.

I have this Tamron 85mm f/1.8 SP lens and it's an amazing lens.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
don't have an image. Samyang specs look comparable in size and weight to Canon EF 85/1.8. Somewhat "fatter", but not longer and only 60 grams heavier.

Samyang 85/1.4 - 88mm D x 72mm L - 485 grams
Canon 85/1.8 - 75mm D x 71.5 mm L - 425 grams

Canon 85/1.4 - 88.6 D x 105.4mm L - 960 grams

Hope the Samyang comes with STM AF drive [not with DC motor] is optically decent and priced not much above the Canon 85/1.8. Might then be my final, last lens purchase for Canon mirrorslapper. :)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Durf said:
Sporgon said:
slclick said:

Agreed. I know it's an over used phrase, but this lens really does "draw". Also the tap in console means that minor yet significant @ f/1.8 variation in focus at different distances can be corrected, and this coupled with really consistent AF has made this the first ever fast prime lens that I'm now 100% confident in using in critical situations with a minimum DOF.

So thanks to Dustin Abbott for putting me on to this gem.

I'm sure the Samyang will be very good for half the price, but Sigma and Tamron are ahead of the curve in offering the ability to correct lenses in AFMA and distance. I find that focal length in the 35 - 55 are most prone to this variation, with the 85 on the fringes. I hope Canon introduce something similar.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Durf said:
Sporgon said:
slclick said:

Agreed. I know it's an over used phrase, but this lens really does "draw". Also the tap in console means that minor yet significant @ f/1.8 variation in focus at different distances can be corrected, and this coupled with really consistent AF has made this the first ever fast prime lens that I'm now 100% confident in using in critical situations with a minimum DOF.

So thanks to Dustin Abbott for putting me on to this gem.

I'm sure the Samyang will be very good for half the price, but Sigma and Tamron are ahead of the curve in offering the ability to correct lenses in AFMA and distance. I find that focal length in the 35 - 55 are most prone to this variation, with the 85 on the fringes. I hope Canon introduce something similar.

Yes, it was Dustin Abbotts reviews that finally convinced me to get this lens. I actually bought this Tamron 85mm and the 45mm together and they are now the main primes in my kit. The 45mm is also super sharp at f/1.8, they are an awesome pair of prime lenses to have in my opinion and the 45mm is my main lens and is almost always on my 6D2.

I actually had the money and was going to purchase the Canon 85mm f/1.4 but got the Tamrons 85 an 45 instead and it still came out cheaper than getting canons 85mm f/1.4!!! I am totally satisfied with these lenses and glad I made this choice.

The 45mm has a really close focusing distance and is an amazing lens for taking macro like photos. It's become a general replacement in my kit so I don't need to carry my 100mm Macro f/2.8L lens with me all the time any more.

I actually used this 85mm today for a short little portrait shoot and every single shot came out pin sharp with awesome falloff and super beautiful image quality.

Upvote 0