Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Re: Samyang 14mm f2.8

CarlTN said:
tron said:
CarlTN said:
Have you tried many good copies of 14mm II Canons and you find them worse than Samyang?

Me? I have never tried either of those. I am just wanting to know what to buy, at under $750...If I had the "coin" many of you have, I would be paying people to post on this forum for me! If I hadn't bought a new camera, and a couple of lenses already in the last few months...then I could afford a high dollar wide angle lens. Of course I would have to just hold it up to paper and let it burn the image on that, because I would have no camera to mount it on...!
Actually I was lucky! I found a used 14mm 2.8L II in a shop in mint condition for 1000 euros less than the price of the new. Then I brought with me some stuff (3 lenses and a battery pack of my stolen 40D) and I deducted a lot. So I got it for 650 euro :)

I wasn't looking for it. I was thinking too of Samyang 14 but at the price I got the Canon it was a steal!

Then, I took a look at the-digital-picture and found that comparison which shocked me because truth be told many sites said the Sam is very good.

Upvote 0

sunnyVan said:
mrsfotografie said:
sunnyVan said:
I have been considering this lens for months but couldn't quite make a decision. What bothers me the most is the concern of complex distortion. I'm glad that it may be correctable post, but it'd be nice if someone could post some pre and post process pictures.

The other option is 17-40 which is a safer choice. At least the resale value is good. I tried it once. Corners seem a little fuzzy.

I have both the 17-40 L and the Samyang 14 mm. No direct comparison is possible because 17 mm is nowhere near as wide as 14 mm ;)

Btw the 14mm SY rules, especially with AF confirmation chip (I glued one onto the back of my mount and calibrated it just so :) )

That's what a lot of people say, but does the distortion bother you and how do you correct it?

I can generally live with the distortion because I don't use this lens for serous architecture work. In fact I like the creativity it offers when trying for exaggerated lines, even in architectural work.

When shooting subjects close-up the distortion can also be used in a positive way because it emphasizes the subject in the middle of the frame. This exaggerates the perspective even more; really makes them 'pop' out of their environment.

For critical applications, lens correction profiles exist for Adobe Photoshop / Camera RAW. I've attached two of them for the 5D MkII and others are available on the web.

To install:

For 32bit operating system copy the file to: "C: \ Documents and Settings \ Username \ Application Data \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ lens profiles \ 1.0"

For 64bit operating system copy the file to: "C:\ ProgramData \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ LensProfiles \ 1.0 \ Canon"

Attachments

• Canon EOS 5D Mark II (Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC).zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 324
  • samyang_28-14mm_-_canon_eos_5d_mark_ii_-_raw_-v1.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 0

mrsfotografie said:
sunnyVan said:
mrsfotografie said:
sunnyVan said:
I have been considering this lens for months but couldn't quite make a decision. What bothers me the most is the concern of complex distortion. I'm glad that it may be correctable post, but it'd be nice if someone could post some pre and post process pictures.

The other option is 17-40 which is a safer choice. At least the resale value is good. I tried it once. Corners seem a little fuzzy.

I have both the 17-40 L and the Samyang 14 mm. No direct comparison is possible because 17 mm is nowhere near as wide as 14 mm ;)

Btw the 14mm SY rules, especially with AF confirmation chip (I glued one onto the back of my mount and calibrated it just so :) )

That's what a lot of people say, but does the distortion bother you and how do you correct it?

I can generally live with the distortion because I don't use this lens for serous architecture work. In fact I like the creativity it offers when trying for exaggerated lines, even in architectural work.

When shooting subjects close-up the distortion can also be used in a positive way because it emphasizes the subject in the middle of the frame. This exaggerates the perspective even more; really makes them 'pop' out of their environment.

For critical applications, lens correction profiles exist for Adobe Photoshop / Camera RAW. I've attached two of them for the 5D MkII and others are available on the web.

To install:

For 32bit operating system copy the file to: "C: \ Documents and Settings \ Username \ Application Data \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ lens profiles \ 1.0"

For 64bit operating system copy the file to: "C:\ ProgramData \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ LensProfiles \ 1.0 \ Canon"

Interesting. Thank you.

Upvote 0

It´s a fun lens. My copy is great. I use it quite a bit stopped down to get best results and a huge DoF. That way the focusing is less critical.

The distortion is rahter hefty and it can cause problems like in the first of my photos. In most cases it is not an issue for my usage.

Sure, if the Canon 14 L was only twice as expensive as the Samyang, I would probably get the Canon but right now there is absolutely no reason for me to invest in the L. I´m awaiting the rumored superultrawidezoom however, that will be interesting (and probably too expensive the first and second year).

Attachments

• Samyang_1.jpg
    Samyang_1.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 2,703
  • Samyang_2.jpg
    Samyang_2.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 2,943
  • Samyang_3.jpg
    Samyang_3.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 2,618
  • Samyang_4.jpg
    Samyang_4.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 7,592
Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013

The Bad Duck said:
It´s a fun lens. My copy is great. I use it quite a bit stopped down to get best results and a huge DoF. That way the focusing is less critical.

The distortion is rahter hefty and it can cause problems like in the first of my photos. In most cases it is not an issue for my usage.

Sure, if the Canon 14 L was only twice as expensive as the Samyang, I would probably get the Canon but right now there is absolutely no reason for me to invest in the L. I´m awaiting the rumored superultrawidezoom however, that will be interesting (and probably too expensive the first and second year).

I like most of those shots, but you should have tried to correct the mustache distortion in the top image. The tree is a great compostion, but I would have fiddled with the green palette to make it more varied. Not trying to nitpick though!

I am wanting to shoot Milky Way images, besides daytime use. So I would prefer if it doesn't have much CA and is reasonably sharp, at least to the borders, if not the corners...and at least by f/3.5, if not wide open.

If it is only acceptable by f/5.6 or 6.3 at the borders, that wouldn't be good for 45 seconds or shorter night exposures...because ISO would be pushed from 3200 to 10,000 or higher...

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013

The Bad Duck said:
Agreed. The point of the first shot was only to show the distortion. The greens, well, perhaps. It´s a quick and dirty job and I should really return next spring with more than 5 minutes to stay... Or this fall perhaps? The location has greater potential than my photographic skills.

Well as for the green color, I meant you could have adjusted it slightly in post. The shot itself is great! I happen to love trees. A huge percentage of my outdoor shots are a type of "tree portraiture". Green foliage can be very difficult to portray in a dimensional way that draws you in and gives a sense of depth, I have found. Also, even though early to mid spring gives a nice "alive" green palette, it can also become so vivid that the color saturates. By late summer here, the greens turn to a dull and faded color. Fall is a nice change to that.

Could you take a night exposure of distant, dim city lights, or else stars, (or even something inside your house) closed to f/3.5, and post side and top/bottom border crops at 100% sometime? Place or frame, small light sources near the borders...

Upvote 0

"Could you take a night exposure of distant, dim city lights, or else stars, (or even something inside your house) closed to f/3.5, and post side and top/bottom border crops at 100% sometime? Place or frame, small light sources near the borders..."

I can give it a go. Luckily I moved south in Sweden so it does get dark at night even in the summer. Or well it gets rather dark, not pitch black. At least for two or three hours in the middle of the night... I´m not sure what to look for, so perhaps I´d just send som raw files instead of posting?

Oooo the greens.. I love the "spring greens" They are so full of life. So vibrant in their rather pale tone. Just as you say, high summer greens are more dull. Darker, not so alive. And it´s stressfull because I only have a few weeks to get all the spring images, then I have to wait for a whole year to get a new chance.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013

The Bad Duck said:
"Could you take a night exposure of distant, dim city lights, or else stars, (or even something inside your house) closed to f/3.5, and post side and top/bottom border crops at 100% sometime? Place or frame, small light sources near the borders..."

I can give it a go. Luckily I moved south in Sweden so it does get dark at night even in the summer. Or well it gets rather dark, not pitch black. At least for two or three hours in the middle of the night... I´m not sure what to look for, so perhaps I´d just send som raw files instead of posting?

Oooo the greens.. I love the "spring greens" They are so full of life. So vibrant in their rather pale tone. Just as you say, high summer greens are more dull. Darker, not so alive. And it´s stressfull because I only have a few weeks to get all the spring images, then I have to wait for a whole year to get a new chance.

Wow, your effort sounds admirable then. I hate being limited by time. Just try the test shot whenever you can, no rush at all!

I bet you have some great aurora shots!

Upvote 0
Re: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC

TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I've got a copy of the 14mm Rokinon in hand for a review right now, so I'll be posting some images. That wide a lens makes for some very creative options!

Thanks for the inspirational photo Dustin! No autumn colors here, yet - but I will be sure to whip out the 14 mm when the time is right! Last year I took some great shots with my 20 mm Siggy so let's see what I can do with the 14mm Samyang :)

Upvote 0

mrsfotografie said:
I've got a copy of the 14mm Rokinon in hand for a review right now, so I'll be posting some images. That wide a lens makes for some very creative options!

Thanks for the inspirational photo Dustin! No autumn colors here, yet - but I will be sure to whip out the 14 mm when the time is right! Last year I took some great shots with my 20 mm Siggy so let's see what I can do with the 14mm Samyang :)

It is a great "tree" lens, particularly in vertical orientation. I haven't had any great light or skies yet, but I feel like I'll be able to produce some great stuff with it!

Upvote 0

Here's another I took yesterday. My favorite aspect using UWA is the ability to emphasize foregrounds.

It is, and that's the proper way to use an UWA im many cases, imho. What did you do with the colors???

Upvote 0

mrsfotografie said:
Here's another I took yesterday. My favorite aspect using UWA is the ability to emphasize foregrounds.

It is, and that's the proper way to use an UWA im many cases, imho. What did you do with the colors???

It was raining, and the light wasn't amazing, so I did an infrared type conversion and then selectively (and lightly) painted back in certain colors to enhance the mood.

Upvote 0

mrsfotografie said:

It was raining, and the light wasn't amazing, so I did an infrared type conversion and then selectively (and lightly) painted back in certain colors to enhance the mood.

Thanks for the explanation, I suspected a little IR in there. :)

Upvote 0

mrsfotografie said:

Excellent! I love the lens-flare on this one. At what aperture was this taken?

I'm pretty sure I stopped down to f/11 to enhance the sunstar. That is my personal favorite aperture on most of my lenses for achieving the effect. The arms on the sunstar become more defined.

Upvote 0