Save on Canon image stabilized binoculars

Sep 20, 2020
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I've been tempted by the Canon 10x42L IS binoculars off and on for many years. I don't use binoculars all that often, I have a pocket-sized Nikon 8x25 and the Canon 10x30 IS (the latter I got for free as a promotional item). But I've been using the latter more frequently lately, and with the upcoming total solar eclipse passing within a few hours' drive next April, the temptation has been increasing.

I saw today that Canon USA currently has them with 20% off and a $100 instant savings, bringing them to $1120. That's the lowest price in several years, so I placed an order. If you're looking for a pair of stabilized binoculars with red-ring optical quality, now may be the time.

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 5.45.17 PM.png

I went back to post the link to Canon USA, and the 10x42L's are now showing as Out of Stock. They were In Stock according to the website when I placed my order, and that's reflected in my confirmation:

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 8.03.30 PM.png

However, I've seen too many reports from fellow members about incorrect stock information and unfulfilled orders from Canon USA. They did charge my CC, but that means nothing until the charge actually posts. So we'll see what happens...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I've been tempted by the Canon 10x42L IS binoculars off and on for many years. I don't use binoculars all that often, I have a pocket-sized Nikon 8x25 and the Canon 10x30 IS (the latter I got for free as a promotional item). But I've been using the latter more frequently lately, and with the upcoming total solar eclipse passing within a few hours' drive next April, the temptation has been increasing.

I saw today that Canon USA currently has them with 20% off and a $100 instant savings, bringing them to $1120. That's the lowest price in several years, so I placed an order. If you're looking for a pair of stabilized binoculars with red-ring optical quality, now may be the time.

View attachment 210428

I went back to post the link to Canon USA, and the 10x42L's are now showing as Out of Stock. They were In Stock according to the website when I placed my order, and that's reflected in my confirmation:

View attachment 210430

However, I've seen too many reports from fellow members about incorrect stock information and unfulfilled orders from Canon USA. They did charge my CC, but that means nothing until the charge actually posts. So we'll see what happens...
I hope they ship. My fingers are crossed for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Got a shipping notification from Canon USA today. :)

For anyone else looking, Adorama has an unadvertised $100 in-cart coupon bringing the cost down to $1300, a bit cheaper than other retailers.
Cool. Once you have given them a run through, hopefully you’ll post a review.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Cool. Once you have given them a run through, hopefully you’ll post a review.
There are several 'real' reviews out there, but my overall impression is very positive. First off, with 10x binoculars the IS is a huge plus and anyone who says it doesn't matter probably hasn't tried it (maybe afraid they'll prefer them over their beloved Swarovski binos?). Compared to the 10x30 IS set I also have, in daylight the difference is similar to that between an APS-C camera and a FF camera – maybe you can tell and maybe not, the difference is subtle. The colors are a little better, the field is a little flatter, but unless you're switching back and forth from one to the other it's really hard to tell.

However, for nighttime stargazing, the wider entrance pupil of the 10x42 and the better corrected optics do make a difference. The IS implementation is also nicer than on the 10x30. On the non-L binos, you have to press and hold the button to keep IS active; you can do that on the L as well, but if you just press and release the IS stays on for a few minutes without needing to hold the button.

The other practical benefit for stargazing is that the 10x42 has 52mm filter threads. With a simple step-down adapter, the common 2" telescope eyepiece filters (which have 48mm threads) can be used. I got a set of decent light pollution filters and they work well.

Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
There are several 'real' reviews out there, but my overall impression is very positive. First off, with 10x binoculars the IS is a huge plus and anyone who says it doesn't matter probably hasn't tried it (maybe afraid they'll prefer them over their beloved Swarovski binos?). Compared to the 10x30 IS set I also have, in daylight the difference is similar to that between an APS-C camera and a FF camera – maybe you can tell and maybe not, the difference is subtle. The colors are a little better, the field is a little flatter, but unless you're switching back and forth from one to the other it's really hard to tell.

However, for nighttime stargazing, the wider entrance pupil of the 10x42 and the better corrected optics do make a difference. The IS implementation is also nicer than on the 10x30. On the non-L binos, you have to press and hold the button to keep IS active; you can do that on the L as well, but if you just press and release the IS stays on for a few minutes without needing to hold the button.

The other practical benefit for stargazing is that the 10x42 has 52mm filter threads. With a simple step-down adapter, the common 2" telescope eyepiece filters (which have 48mm threads) can be used. I got a set of decent light pollution filters and they work well.
Thanks for your thoughts. In addition to the various optical improvements, the IS activation sounds particularly convenient. Gear Acquisition Syndrome may be occurring again...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Not that I'm trying to influence your decision or anything, but the 10x42 L's also have a feature no other L lens has – they are waterproof. To clean them, Canon recommends washing them with running water or soaking them in a bucket, and if they get salt water on them Canon recommends leaving them in the bucket for 1-2 hours. Don't try that with your 600/4.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon USA has refurb 10x42L in stock.

Upvote 0