Should I go for the 85mm F1.2L II USM ?

bornshooter said:
I never said it was the fastest,but this is the portrait lens and it does that very well IMO it produces photos that no other lens can,its a specialty lens if i want fast focus i have the 70-200 mk2 which is fast but i have had no issues with the 851.2 :).
My advice rent it and use it for a week :)

Renting is a good idea, only reason I brought up focusing speed is that the OP specifically mentioned it as a concern. While the 85L is *the* portrait lens, the 50L also has spectacular bokeh especially for its focal length and offers versatility and focusing speed the 85L cannot.

The 50L is not quite as sharp as the 85L, but like the 85L it can make ordinary things look extraordinary:

(50L @ f/1.2)

Attachments

• IMG_1344s2.jpg
    IMG_1344s2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 891
Upvote 0
Ruined said:
bornshooter said:
I never said it was the fastest,but this is the portrait lens and it does that very well IMO it produces photos that no other lens can,its a specialty lens if i want fast focus i have the 70-200 mk2 which is fast but i have had no issues with the 851.2 :).
My advice rent it and use it for a week :)

Renting is a good idea, only reason I brought up focusing speed is that the OP specifically mentioned it as a concern. While the 85L is *the* portrait lens, the 50L also has spectacular bokeh especially for its focal length and offers versatility and focusing speed the 85L cannot.

The 50L is not quite as sharp as the 85L, but like the 85L it can make ordinary things look extraordinary:

(50L @ f/1.2)
50 1.2 is a cracker of a lens too,hell if i had the money i would have all the red rings lol

Upvote 0
bornshooter said:
50 1.2 is a cracker of a lens too,hell if i had the money i would have all the red rings lol

Heck yeah! But of the fast primes 24L-135L, my favorites are the 50L and the 85L by far... For what I do, 24L is too wide, 35L bokeh not as good, and 135L could benefit from IS + focal length a bit long.

While some think the 50L/85L are too close in focal length to own both, I beg to differ! :)

Upvote 0
Ruined said:
bornshooter said:

Heck yeah! But of the fast primes 24L-135L, my favorites are the 50L and the 85L by far... For what I do, 24L is too wide, 35L bokeh not as good, and 135L could benefit from IS + focal length a bit long.

While some think the 50L/85L are too close in focal length to own both, I beg to differ! :)
i hope my next prime is the 300 2.8 going to take it out for some street photography when i get it lol :p

Upvote 0
If you´re considering a 50mm, I think I would wait and see what the reviews of the new Sigma Art lens will be.

As for the 85mm, mounted on a 5DIII, I think you will be thrilled. It is an exceptional lens and it has been a favorite of mine for years. I has a 3D pop effect and bokeh that are amazing.

The AF speed on the 5DIII is not nearly as bad as some people seem to think. If you go from MFD to infinity, yes that takes time. But how often do you do that? With a bit of practice you will manually move to within range and let AF do the rest. From about 2.5m to infinity AF speed is no problem at all.

Upvote 0
i bought 85 1.2 for my 5d III and i'm so happy. You won't regret.
w9c4.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes, Yes, Yes---This Monster / Awesome Babe Canon EF 85 MM F/ 1.2 L MK II is the MUST for all the PRO " Professional Wedding Photographers and Portrait Photographers"-----Not My words, BUT from 8 of my dear friends, Professional Wedding Photographers in my City, Who use Canon Equipments.
Yes, It worth every pennies that you spend. Yes, I Love this 85 F/ 1.2 L---And No problem about AF, If we know how to use her----In the Dark place One Point , Center Point Focus only, If Solid Dark/ Low Contrast Conditions, Use Canon Speedlite Transmiter ST-E2, To provide AF-Assist beam emitter, to help faster AF.
Surapon

Attachments

• S-3.jpg
    S-3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 694
  • S-2.jpg
    S-2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 696
  • S-4.jpg
    S-4.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 735
  • SP0028.JPG
    SP0028.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 714
Upvote 0
Thanks guys :) I went for it and I just received it a week ago and can't mount it OFF my 5D III. I had it for 1799 $ .. in general I like everything about it from crisp shots and awesome creamy BOKEH oh my god the bokeh is totally worth it ::) but what concerns me the most is the rear glass of the lens .. it's too exposed unlike my other lenses and can get all the dust just by switching lenses, and the autofocus is a bit slow when shooting in F1.2 where the lens tries to spot on a focus point, all in all it's a queen of glass and can be used in a fight when needed ;D

Upvote 0
CanonNerdy said:
Thanks guys :) I went for it and I just received it a week ago and can't mount it OFF my 5D III. I had it for 1799 $ .. in general I like everything about it from crisp shots and awesome creamy BOKEH oh my god the bokeh is totally worth it ::) but what concerns me the most is the rear glass of the lens .. it's too exposed unlike my other lenses and can get all the dust just by switching lenses, and the autofocus is a bit slow when shooting in F1.2 where the lens tries to spot on a focus point, all in all it's a queen of glass and can be used in a fight when needed ;D

Actually the rear glass being exposed is a plus. It is flourine coated and easy to get to. Just wipe with a lens cloth or blower and it's clean. The flourine coating is extremely durable. Just when you are in fight, try not to hit the sap with the rear of the lens. It should be fine.

Upvote 0
BTW: I do love the 1.2, and I am unhappy to say that I do not have it, and only have the Siggy 1.4. The latter is a great bang for buck, but they are in two different classes imho.

I went to your flickr page and you have many great shots. Love the ones with the women on the chairs, and the couple in front of the dorian pillars :)

On the other hand, I am so lucky that I own the 135L, and I am borrowing the 200L/2, which is a killer apart from the need of space and its weight :)

Upvote 0
CanonNerdy said:
Hi,

At last I managed somehow to save up some $$$ to purchase and upgrade my equipment especially my lenses. So one of THE lenses I was aiming for is the king of Bokeh .. THE 85mm F1.2L II USM, well it's Expensive alright but from what I see it's really worth the cash, but what confused me is that I've heard some complaints about it's performance in low light and how it keeps hunting for focus though it's a USM name holder, I'm about the fact that I might not be comfortable with it since focusing speed is an issue for me personally and might be for others as well, so should I go for it or wait if there's an upcoming upgrade ..

And thanks in advance ^^

Dear friend, Mr. CanonNerdy.
If you a PRO and Make money from Wedding Photography and Portrait Photos, Or Just Regular Photographer Like Me, Who want to Jass up my Portrait Photos to the Highest level = 1000% YES, Go to get this Awesome Big Babe in your hand very soon. I have this Beautiful Big Babe MK II three Years ago, and With me all the times in 1 of my 3 Cameras, Another 2 Cameras = 24-70 mm F/ 2.8 L , and 70-200 mm. F/ 2.8 L IS ( with TS-E 24 mm. F/ 3.5 L MK II in the bag for all of my Landscape, Scenery / Street Photos).------YES, Every Lenses and Every cameras in this world have Great Points and SO-SO-Points, AS Photographers, We must Learn to use them at 120% of their ability, and try to solve the Problems as best as we can.
NO, This world still have no Perfected Cameras and Perfected Lenses YET.
Enjoy your New Great Lens soon.
Surapon

Attachments

• IMG_2873-SMALL-FILE.jpg
    IMG_2873-SMALL-FILE.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 419
  • 081X0035-2.jpg
    081X0035-2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 569
  • Z-K.jpg
    Z-K.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 470
  • P37.jpg
    P37.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 404
Upvote 0
This lens is a deadly weapon in the wrong hands. By deadly, I mean you will want to poke your eyes out if you shoot at 1.2 up close because the DOF is small. Besides that, I love this lens. Supreme Being of bokeh is more like it. I would just be sure you are ready to throw down that kind of money for the lens instead of going for a 1.4 or 1.8 version. Also, the focus is a bit on the slow side and that may be an understatement. This lens wasn't made for sports so I imagine you want it for portrait.

One of my favorite and oddly least used lenses I own.

Upvote 0