Very nice shot. Well done, Laytonp.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Sorry about ugly pic .
I wonder if anynone else gets problems on grass with focusing. Camera seems focus behind birds to grass where is more contrast ? RP 70-300mm
This is why I still prefer a DSLR - it takes what you point the small square at. However, my bridge camera the Sony RX10 IV does pick up a bird against a background of grass and track it as it moves. You see an outline of little green squares dancing around the image.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
This is why I still prefer a DSLR - it takes what you point the small square at. However, my bridge camera the Sony RX10 IV does pick up a bird against a background of grass and track it as it moves. You see an outline of little green squares dancing around the image.
Thanks ,not then my equipment only . Could use even smaller focus box what camera offers :)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
You wouldn't have a link to one that looks similar, i.e. yellowish breast, eye streaks etc.? Most of what comes up seems rather different to me.

Jack

Maybe here:

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Robin bathing in my pond. Overcast sky. M6m2, 100-400LII, 2xIII.

Cropped OOC jpg was better than my LR and PhotoLab attempts. Think I need some to learn a bit more about post processing for birds. I've never really taken the time to get good at it. Any suggestions on where to start or good references?

IMG_1633iso.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Peter in Boulder

EOS 90D & Fuji X-E3
Aug 21, 2019
Nothing special photographically, but here's a couple shots of a Say's Phoebe nest under an awning at the front of our house. I'm leaning out my front door to take these. There are 4 babies in total, but it's rare to see all 4 at once. I tried to step out to get a shot of the babies between parental visits to not make them nervous, but this one landed, fed two of the babies and took off with a fecal sac, all in about 5 seconds.IMG_0445.JPGIMG_0449.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Anyone; I need help with this one. Checked all Alberta sparrows - no match. Doesn't seem to be a Grosbeak although it's vaguely similar to a female Rose-breasted.

Jack

It appears to be some variation of a White-throated Sparrow. Was that the only photo you got of it?

Jeremy

Upvote 0

jmeyer

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
I still haven't had time to edit many photos from the spring migration, but here are a few more warblers, that I have gone through. I took over 45000 pictures the month of May! 7D mkll / EF 600 f4 ll / EF 1.4xlll

Jeremy

Blackburnian Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler
Brewster's Warbler (Blue-winged x Golden-winged)
Hooded Warbler
Mourning Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler (male-spring) 143.jpgBlue-winged Warbler (male-spring) 120.jpgBrewster's Warbler 104.jpgHooded Warbler (male-spring) 137.jpgMourning Warbler (male-spring) 144.jpgProthonotary Warbler (male-spring) 135.jpgProthonotary Warbler (male-spring) 136.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It appears to be some variation of a White-throated Sparrow. Was that the only photo you got of it?

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy. white-throated Sparrow_s_34429.JPGJust two and the poses were similar (deleted). I do have lots of the White-throated but they sure don't appear too similar. This shot was down below and about 20 minutes earlier so they were in the vicinity.

Jack

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Thanks Jeremy. Just two and the poses were similar (deleted). I do have lots of the White-throated but they sure don't appear too similar. This shot was down below and about 20 minutes earlier so they were in the vicinity.

Jack

As you know, different angles, lighting and other factors when viewing a bird, from a certain angle, can really throw off how It appears. If you look closely at your photo, you will see that his face is turned slightly away and up from you. You can still see the white throat, with slim line through, separating the secondary white patch between throat and cheek. Also you can see the yellow lores with white stripe over the eye. The head pattern looks correct as well. If you look at the back, you can see the colors match up too. Backlit birds are some of the toughest to ID, especially when in transitioning phase. There are several sub-species for this bird and it's possible it could be interbred. This is a first spring bird and still not developed into a breeding adult.

Jeremy

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0