Beautiful series, Alan.
d055.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Wow, was the camera actually tracking the eye in the last shot? I'm also wondering about the 100-500, so hurry up and buy it and start reporting!!

I've been managing reasonably well with 800 and 20 MP so I'm pretty excited about having 45MP. I'm more concerned in the realm of low light and higher ISO performance.

Jack
If the sale comes through, I should have one later next week. Rest assured I'll compare it carefully with the other lenses and report back. The eye was too small to be tracked - these are the tiniest of crops.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
5D3_8512 picasa crop ps3 fix - Copy.jpg5D3_8558 picasa crop ps3 fix - Copy.jpg

These two images were acquired 26 seconds apart.

A couple of things come to mind.

It is December here in the midwest USA--winter is coming (actually...late?!).

We have some sort of tree that has berries in the late summer-fall (I think I've got the seasons right...sometimes it seems like it has berries at other times but my wife disagrees (wink emoji).

When the tree has (literally) thousands of berries...I seldom see cardinals (male or female) nibbling on berries. They have other sources of food then?

Now when it seems that there's no more than a couple of dozen berries left on the entire tree...this particular female cardinal has LOTS of patience trying to get whatever is left (makes for nice photo opportunities).

The second of these two images...she's fluffed up her feathers. I read on the 'net that birds do this to aid in their insulation. Is this true? And how do they do this? I can see manipulating wing feathers...by moving wings. But what about other feathers?

If I could make what is left of my hairline fluffier I'd do it in a minute! Sadly...

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
View attachment 194346View attachment 194347

These two images were acquired 26 seconds apart.

A couple of things come to mind.

It is December here in the midwest USA--winter is coming (actually...late?!).

We have some sort of tree that has berries in the late summer-fall (I think I've got the seasons right...sometimes it seems like it has berries at other times but my wife disagrees (wink emoji).

When the tree has (literally) thousands of berries...I seldom see cardinals (male or female) nibbling on berries. They have other sources of food then?

Now when it seems that there's no more than a couple of dozen berries left on the entire tree...this particular female cardinal has LOTS of patience trying to get whatever is left (makes for nice photo opportunities).

The second of these two images...she's fluffed up her feathers. I read on the 'net that birds do this to aid in their insulation. Is this true? And how do they do this? I can see manipulating wing feathers...by moving wings. But what about other feathers?

If I could make what is left of my hairline fluffier I'd do it in a minute! Sadly...
Maybe it's like when "our hair stands up" over an incident. :) ISv will know.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Fortunately we don't have song birds here this time of year and when they are around, this guy goes deep into the mountains. He was satisfied with a sparrow today.
There is a handsome Sparrowhawk that uses my bird feeder as bait. The tits (chickadees) reside on the feeder for milliseconds but the finches sit there for minutes on end. And, I worry about them.

Upvote 0
I think as I age I'm regressing. Are these in focus? They just don't seem too clear. :unsure: The upside is at least I've taken one photo in the last month.
[...]
Jack
It's photo's like this that convey the mood and atmosphere of a flock of birds scurrying off at some movement or sound... I like it :cool: !
Not every picture needs to be 100Mpx of razor sharpness :unsure:;)
W.

Upvote 0

ISO64

CR Pro
Jul 2, 2015
There is a handsome Sparrowhawk that uses my bird feeder as bait. The tits (chickadees) reside on the feeder for milliseconds but the finches sit there for minutes on end. And, I worry about them.
Put some fairly wide spaced sticks around the feeder. Or soccer goal net on one side in two layers. As long as openings are smaller than predator's wingspan but larger than small bird, cuties are safe. Just look what sparrows do when there is a hawk near. All hide in a hedge and sing aloud. On the other hand, raptors get hungry as well...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It's photo's like this that convey the mood and atmosphere of a flock of birds scurrying off at some movement or sound... I like it :cool: !
Not every picture needs to be 100Mpx of razor sharpness :unsure:;)
W.
Wow, I was wondering if, just by chance, someone might reflect on this aspect of our bird photography. I was debating whether to post it but ultimately I agreed with you. ;):) Reminds me of my daughter when she was 4 and drawing birds; no mistaking her birds even though they weren't too realistic. They had character.

Jack

Upvote 0
We had a Burrowing Owl decide to try out a burrow between a busy bike path along the river and a small maintenance road for the nearby ball field. I decided to try and catch it by the burrow a bit before dawn and got to watch the sunrise reflected in its eyes.
SDR13718-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4X 1/60 : f/9 : ISO 640

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
White-throated sparrow below (a bird I think I see primarily in the winter months, along with the dark-eyed junco that jmeyer on this forum helped ID). I simply love the details that emerge from a decent photo (such as the yellow bits on this one).

These are (obviously) cropped images...can those with an R5 hazard a guess as to whether eye focus would work on one or more of the images below? An R5 is looking mighty promising to me these days.

I have an M6 Mk II that has eye focus...I never really tried that feature of the M6 II/100-400 II/adapter with birds as a subject. Since the virus ramped up my wife has been utilizing the M6 Mk II/11-22 combination as a webcam for her work as a yoga instructor...so I'm reluctant to fiddle with what is now 'her' camera! Maybe when COVID settles down :unsure: I'll get it back.

5D3_8639 crop and fix - Copy.jpg5D3_8621 crop and fix - Copy.jpg5D3_8617 crop and fix - Copy.jpg5D3_8656 crop and fix - Copy.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0