Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Yellow has a black legs. The one on the photos above has +/- pinkish legs (Like the Greys...) On other hand it has also a rather contrast scapulars and pretty white/yellow throat (like the Yellows but some Gray females have rather pale throat)!!! Go figure...
Maximilian, could you catch one of these and measure how long is the tail and also the legs?! These are legitimate features to separate some subspecies of the Yellow from the Gray!!! :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yellow Wagtails bring back fond memories of precovid trips. Here are shots from in descending order: Cyprus; India (Mysore); Portugal (Iberian Yellow); and Tanzania. Good subjects for your ruler!
Yellow_Wagtail_915A5882_DxO_Wagtail-cut.jpeg
YellowWagtail_915A9640-DxO_Mysore.jpg
iberianyellowwagtail_2B4A1600-DxO_yellowwagtail_portugal.jpg
3Q7A1337-DxO_tanyellowwagtail.jpg

Last edited:

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Fully correct about the characteristics, ISv. That's what I've learned about yesterday.
Maybe I should add that the back of the grey wagtail is at it's name says of grey color.
Therefore the yellow wagtail should be called "brown" for its brownisch back ;) :geek:

As for your suggestion to catch and measure I would like to reply that this would be beyond my capabilities. :oops:
And I am proud to say that the times where I took out animals from there natural habitat have long gone since my childhood. :D
Today I'd rather put them back into their habitat when they enter my living room, for example ;)
Ornithologists are doing this for many many years (and it's how we know what is what...). They use to catch birds and after full ID and if necessary - ring, they release the bird (well, sometimes it's little bit different: if it's a new species you need a specimen deposited in some collection - the type specimen).

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Today I had to go to my Lab to download some files (I forget to do it Friday). As usually in such cases I took my gear with me. Happy I did:)!

On the west side of the Biomed building we have 6 Kukui nut trees. Five of them are harboring White Tern chicks - from one newly hatched to two fledglings and two (on the same tree) in-between as an age. Starting withe the in-between case.
I was just watching the bird TTL when something happen! No time to change the angle! Just don't know what is thinking the youngster on the second photo ("it's my fish, don't even think about it":D). The last photo is of the adult taking a few minutes rest after the good job.

DSC_6581_DxO.jpg
DSC_6619_DxO.jpg
DSC_6626_DxO.jpg
DSC_6638_DxO.jpg
DSC_6644_DxO.jpg
DSC_6667_DxO.jpg

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
After that left of me a Red-whiskered Bulbul landed on small bush. Had to increase the ISO from 1000 to 2000.
And when I move to see the newly hatched White Tern there was parent coming to see the well-being of it's fledgling on the next tree. No time to go back, so I just choose the photos where the bird is in more compact configuration. Also, the first photo is misleading: I made three short burst and non of them started with the bird on clear sky (only the middle burst was fussy but I got excellent photos of the Kukui Nut foliage:LOL:). Didn't pick the photos where the bird is on the background of the leafs - the highlights are totally washed out and also the photos where the bird is with more-open wings (no place in the frame, the distance is in the range 11-16 meters - I was missing my zoom!)!

DSC_6689_DxO.jpg

DSC_6713_DxO.jpg
DSC_6726_DxO.jpg
DSC_6730_DxO.jpg
DSC_6734_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Ornithologists are doing this for many many years (and it's how we know what is what...) ...
Fully understand and they know how.
As I said: this would be beyond my capabilities.
So I leave it up to the Ornithologists.

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Fully understand and they know how.
As I said: this would be beyond my capabilities.
So I leave it up to the Ornithologists.
Maximilian, I wasn't serious when telling you "catch one ...". I also wouldn't know how to catch one (I have difficulties to take a photo of one from acceptable distance, forget catching that one:LOL:)!
Here are my only photos, taken 2019 in Europe just before the Covid-19 started. Two birds that are giving me a lot of headache: The first one could go for young Gray-Wagtail. The second is juvenile and logically should be also Gray-W (same location on the same day). But the clearly black legs and bill of the juvenile and the rather broad wing bars on both birds are not in synchrony with the Gray-W. The juvenile is looking more like M. citreola (Citrine Wagtail) but it is not breeding in South-East Europe where I took the photos (the second half of August). However during the migration it could be seen there eventually.
Motacilla cinerea-Gray Wagtail 2b_DxO.jpg
Motacilla cinerea-Gray Wagtail 3_DxO.jpg

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Maximilian, I wasn't serious when telling you "catch one ...". I also wouldn't know how to catch one (I have difficulties to take a photo of one from acceptable distance, forget catching that one:LOL:)!
ISv, I got the message and the fun at the first time. Don't be afraid.
I thought I could make it clear, using emoticons.
That's the problem with text messages... even when you add emoticons you don't get the tone.
I only wanted to state in addition that I don't have a problem when scientists catch animals for studies - and hopefully also release them again unharmed.
So everything is settled for me :)

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... The second is juvenile and logically should be also Gray-W (same location on the same day). But the clearly black legs and bill of the juvenile and the rather broad wing bars on both birds are not in synchrony with the Gray-W. The juvenile is looking more like M. citreola (Citrine Wagtail) but it is not breeding in South-East Europe where I took the photos (the second half of August). However during the migration it could be seen there eventually. View attachment 197387
About this second one:
Could it be a third species? A juvenile white wagtail (motacilla alba) ?:unsure:
Looking at this pic of a juvenile white wagtail to me it could be one.
But I know that I'll be causing even more confusion. :ROFLMAO:
By now we've gone through almost all colors :p

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Managed to get into the grounds of the 17th C Anglesey Abbey for the first time in over a year to visit a tree where there is sometimes a Tree Creeper. And what did I see instead - some small white feathers on the ground and this telltale one.
View attachment 197322
Last week I related how when looking where I knew a Treecreeper might be, I just found the evidence that it had been predated. Yesterday, just out on a walk, my wife spotted a small bird hopping around a tree and I recognised it was a Treecreeper. These are very difficult to photograph as they move very rapidly and are usually half hidden. But 20 fps on the R5 (+100-500) paid off and i managed to get some half decent shots. It's only the 4th or 5th time in 10 years I have got photos of one - they are well evolved to be camouflaged and nippy to avoid predation, and you see usually only their back or profile as they are staring at the bark for most of the time.

309A3277-DxO_Treecreeper.jpg
309A3321-DxO_Treecreeper.jpg

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Last week I related how when looking where I knew a Treecreeper might be, I just found the evidence that it had been predated. Yesterday, just out on a walk, my wife spotted a small bird hopping around a tree and I recognised it was a Treecreeper. These are very difficult to photograph as they move very rapidly and are usually half hidden. But 20 fps on the R5 (+100-500) paid off and i managed to get some half decent shots. It's only the 4th or 5th time in 10 years I have got photos of one - they are well evolved to be camouflaged and nippy to avoid predation, and you see usually only their back or profile as they are staring at the bark for most of the time.
Congrats to your wife and you, Alan!
For the sighting as well as for getting the pictures.
I can feel with you, how exiting this must have been.

Reactions: AlanF

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Congrats to your wife and you, Alan!
For the sighting as well as for getting the pictures.
I can feel with you, how exiting this must have been.
Thanks! It really was exciting. I couldn't see the bird properly through the viewfinder -it was hit and miss as I fired away - and so it was a real delight playing them back and then downloading to have a few good shots. I have one more in profile but it's somewhat spoiled by oof leaves. although it does show the birds large undercarriage well.

309A3367-DxO_Treecreeper.jpg

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Aug 9, 2018

View attachment 197388 View attachment 197389
Nice shots of a difficult bird (I failed....)
And by the way: thank you Alan for mentioning in a former post "Topaz sharpening". Even though I was skeptical about it being much better than Lightroom's sharpening feature , I gave it a try, and immediately adopted it. A really convincing software!

Reactions: AlanF
<-- start Taboola -->