Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I've posted two pix (both 5DMk3 + 100-400 II @ 400).

I'm posting this for the benefit of the very few who post here who might know less than me.

Here's what happened.

There was an interesting set of bird songs emanating from the tree in our front yard...I went back to our family room to collect my iPhone--brightness was behind the tree and my eyes couldn't see much.

I dialed up Merlin...which has a component within it that allows bird identification by sound (this might be news to some...it was news to me a couple of months ago).

I clicked 'record' or something or other...and...

...the app suggested 'Carolina Wren'.

We've had a few Carolina Wrens over the years so the Merlin-assisted ID was helpful--I knew what to look for...and went back to collect my camera.

Two images that resulted are shown.

The first is OOC jpeg...with 2/3 stop brightness added on the camera.

View attachment 200872

The second is the same photo...fixed up with Photoshop and then Picasa (I know I know...)

View attachment 200873

...an additional observation: what I heard (before I grabbed my camera) was, in fact, the Carolina Wren 'duet'...where both male and female are heard...talking to each other?!

A neat experience for me...kind of multimedia in a way!
OK, now it is really interesting: I have pretty good visual memory but can't distinguish well the songs/calls of the birds. This could be helpful! Thanks!

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
..........I dialed up Merlin...which has a component within it that allows bird identification by sound (this might be news to some...it was news to me a couple of months ago).

I clicked 'record' or something or other...and...

...the app suggested ..........
Great tip. Thanks, @josephandrews

ERHP

EOS RP
CR Pro
May 9, 2013
San Diego
erhp.smugmug.com
One of my local favorites is back, a Loggerhead Shrike. I can usually walk up to it and one evening this last week, it was looking around before diving down into the bush it was on and tearing off a bit cached lizard. It brought out the back end as if to show it off before eating that as well.
SDR14728A-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4X 1/1000 : f/9 : ISO 800

SDR14729-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4X 1/800 : f/10 : ISO 800

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
One of my local favorites is back, a Loggerhead Shrike. I can usually walk up to it and one evening this last week, it was looking around before diving down into the bush it was on and tearing off a bit cached lizard. It brought out the back end as if to show it off before eating that as well.
SDR14728A-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4X 1/1000 : f/9 : ISO 800

SDR14729-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4X 1/800 : f/10 : ISO 800
Fantastic shots!

Reactions: ISv and ERHP

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I did a chaperone to a friends from Canada yesterday. Nothing interesting - just the very common wintering birds here.
First two are Sanderling (with plenty of light), after that Wandering Tatler in late, ~80% clouded afternoon: the reason for the strange colors...

DSC_3523_DxO.jpg
DSC_3554_DxO.jpg
DSC_3858_DxO.jpg
DSC_3884_DxO.jpg

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And some from today - went to a beach park mostly for the walk. Fortunately my pocket size combo (D500 + 500mm PF:p) was with me. The birds are not interesting but I like the low level photos of the Pacific Golden Plover, especially the one with the red ring from a parked car in the far background.
The Night Heron? - Just to show I can take also a "high level" photos (just trying to incorporate a second layer in my humor!)!!!
On other hand you shoot what you have in front of you (the alternative is not to shoot at all - not my coffee!).

DSC_3921_DxO.jpg
DSC_3926_DxO.jpg
DSC_3934_DxO.jpg
DSC_3950_DxO.jpg

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
And some from today - went to a beach park mostly for the walk. Fortunately my pocket size combo (D500 + 500mm PF:p) was with me. The birds are not interesting but I like the low level photos of the Pacific Golden Plover, especially the one with the red ring from a parked car in the far background.
The Night Heron? - Just to show I can take also a "high level" photos (just trying to incorporate a second layer in my humor!)!!!
On other hand you shoot what you have in front of you (the alternative is not to shoot at all - not my coffee!).

View attachment 200944 View attachment 200945 View attachment 200946 View attachment 200947
I wish I had beaches like yours!

Reactions: john1970 and ISv

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I wish I had beaches like yours!
Well, I would like to shoot in the nature you have like "given" - what is common for one is kind of precious for others! And I'm pretty sure you know it!

Reactions: EricN