Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Dunnock today. R5 + RF100-400mm, iso 4000, 1/320s.

View attachment 200942
For this one I had to go 2500m above the see level in 2019! And my photos are just fraction of the quality of yours (the bird didn't want to collaborate!).
Life is not... what ever...

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And some from today - went to a beach park mostly for the walk. Fortunately my pocket size combo (D500 + 500mm PF:p) was with me. The birds are not interesting but I like the low level photos of the Pacific Golden Plover, especially the one with the red ring from a parked car in the far background.
The Night Heron? - Just to show I can take also a "high level" photos (just trying to incorporate a second layer in my humor!)!!!
On other hand you shoot what you have in front of you (the alternative is not to shoot at all - not my coffee!).

DSC_3921_DxO.jpgDSC_3926_DxO.jpgDSC_3934_DxO.jpgDSC_3950_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
And some from today - went to a beach park mostly for the walk. Fortunately my pocket size combo (D500 + 500mm PF:p) was with me. The birds are not interesting but I like the low level photos of the Pacific Golden Plover, especially the one with the red ring from a parked car in the far background.
The Night Heron? - Just to show I can take also a "high level" photos (just trying to incorporate a second layer in my humor!)!!!
On other hand you shoot what you have in front of you (the alternative is not to shoot at all - not my coffee!).

View attachment 200944View attachment 200945View attachment 200946View attachment 200947
I wish I had beaches like yours!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well, I would like to shoot in the nature you have like "given" - what is common for one is kind of precious for others! And I'm pretty sure you know it!
Even so, if I had the choice of photographing birds at the North Pole or on the equator (Ecuador), I know what I would choose, especially in December.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
December at the north pole? You're going to need a ton of dynamic range to separate coal-black backgrounds from coal-black birds. If any are there for the 6 month night!
Even at the very North Pole, night without any twilight lasts only 11 weeks, and there can be moonlight. But, that's not enough light to tempt me there.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Even at the very North Pole, night without any twilight lasts only 11 weeks, and there can be moonlight. But, that's not enough light to tempt me there.
To say nothing of the fact that I can't imagine any birds would actually be there.

The high arctic land (more likely bogs) during summer is a completely different story.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
What birds would you see in summer?
I'm not a birder, but I'm sure on general principles that some birds are up there in the High Arctic during summer. Taking a quick look, here's a link to an article talking about birds of the arctic.

This isn't the north pole, per se, but the high arctic (northern North America and presumably northern Eurasia). This was simply the first thing that turned up on a Google search.

I don't know how many of these are year-round residents.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0