Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Took out the 100-500mm + 2x TC yesterday as I knew the 100-400 would be too short for most shots. Here are some tiny crops at 1000mm enlarged 1.4x of a Kestrel, and a Lapwing in flight. I was pleased with the Lapwing as it caught its iridescence.

309A0626-DxO_lapwing_flying-ls-sm-1_40x-.jpg
309A0362-DxO_kestrel-ls-sm-1_40x.jpg

Oct 14, 2021
Recently visited the Botanic Gardens in the city I live in - was there to shoot the late bloomers with my RP but came back with some bird-shots as well.

Taken with an EOS RP with the adapted Sigma 150mm OS Macro at f/2.8. Mind you: Because he moved quite a bit I resorted to using Servo-Mode with deactivated Eye-AF. Works plenty alright with the RP, though not as many keepers as with Animal-AF on either my R5 or R6. The background is a bit wonky because of the fence behind the little dude.

_MG_7065.jpg

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
This one attracted my attention because of the unusual colors - the legs are not yellow or grayish, the bared skin around the eyes is not yellow but pinkish, that bill is too red! And the iris of the eyes - red?!
On other hand I think it was more than just a documentary shot (so, I like it!)... I'm ready to send the RAW files to any one interested - I see such a Cattle Egret first time (well, I took this photo today October 30 :rolleyes:, I saw a lot of strange things today but didn't expect any birds to take a place in these games!) so, any one interested of the RAW files (or has a photo with similar coloration of the Cattle Egret) is welcome! The last photo is for comparison - nearby (and standard looking) bird!
This is not a joke!

DSC_4156_DxO.jpg
DSC_4160_DxO.jpg
DSC_4168_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
..........This one attracted my attention because of the unusual colors - the legs are not yellow or grayish, the bared skin around the eyes is not yellow but pinkish, that bill is too red! And the iris of the eyes - red?!............
These are great shots. I think the eyes become red during egg laying season in this species. Anyone have ideas?

Reactions: ISv

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
This one attracted my attention because of the unusual colors - the legs are not yellow or grayish, the bared skin around the eyes is not yellow but pinkish, that bill is too red! And the iris of the eyes - red?!
On other hand I think it was more than just a documentary shot (so, I like it!)... I'm ready to send the RAW files to any one interested - I see such a Cattle Egret first time (well, I took this photo today October 30 :rolleyes:, I saw a lot of strange things today but didn't expect any birds to take a place in these games!) so, any one interested of the RAW files (or has a photo with similar coloration of the Cattle Egret) is welcome! The last photo is for comparison - nearby (and standard looking) bird!
This is not a joke!

If you look here, you will find the information on the colour in the identification page, but they do not give us the reason why it has this colouring.

Reactions: tron and ISv