Show your Bird Portraits

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Impressive bird. Nice picture, Maximilian.
Indeed!
It is one of the biggest birds of prey in Europe. About the size of the California condor, but not that heavy ;)
And so beautiful in flight ... :love:
It's a pity we need to keep it in captive just to save its species.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Deleted

7D2
Sep 30, 2021
A bearded vulture from our local zoo.
They are the parents of young birds that are returned to the wild in the Bavarian Alps.

View attachment 201100
Nice shot there. We have had a couple of wild birds visit the UK in the last year or two. They caused quite a stir for a while with photographers and birders travelling all over the place to see them. I was fortunate that one passed by locally to me. I never realised just how big they are until a buzzard flew near it. Very impressive bird.

Upvote 0

Deleted

7D2
Sep 30, 2021
Taken a while back in Buckinghamshire, UK this bird flew down from a tree to nab some grubs. The sun was very bright on the bird so I had to dial in some - exposure comp very quickly. As the background was woodland in shadow it threw it into darkness. Only had a few seconds to get the shot. I had wanted to get down low but the bird had landed so close I had already zoomed out to get a full body shot then back to 400mm for the portrait. I feared had I move much more I would have spooked the kestrel. So I was content to get this shot.

9A2E2FD9-958D-4350-A822-E94441D3BFDD.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I took out the old DSLR a couple of days ago, wound it up and it still worked. Unusually, I saw a couple of small birds: a Bluetit had bathed and was preening itself, looking a real mess, and my first Brambling for a very long time - I am not limited by gear but the availability of birds at present.

DSC_7826-DxO_D500_blue_it_preening.jpgDSC_7831-DxO_D500_blue_it_preening.jpgDSC_7857-DxO_D500_brambling-ls-sm.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Taken a while back in Buckinghamshire, UK this bird flew down from a tree to nab some grubs. The sun was very bright on the bird so I had to dial in some - exposure comp very quickly. As the background was woodland in shadow it threw it into darkness. Only had a few seconds to get the shot. I had wanted to get down low but the bird had landed so close I had already zoomed out to get a full body shot then back to 400mm for the portrait. I feared had I move much more I would have spooked the kestrel. So I was content to get this shot.

View attachment 201102

OK - one more of yours very "Distinctly average" shots:D! If these are your average shots I really would like to see the extraordinary one!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Took out the RF 100-400mm on the R5 for this afternoon's walk. It's such a pleasure carrying so light a camera and lens. Don't believe what TDP writes about its sharpness - look at this (Eurasian) Robin.

View attachment 201109
I read the TDP review of this lens. I thought that it was a good review of it, stating that it was a good lens for the money. It even has nano-AF motors and 0.41x max magnification which is really great (especially at such a low price for Canon). I think your photo is excellent, AlanF. This lens looks like a superb small & light 100-400 zoom for Canon!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I read the TDP review of this lens. I thought that it was a good review of it, stating that it was a good lens for the money. It even has nano-AF motors and 0.41x max magnification which is really great (especially at such a low price for Canon). I think your photo is excellent, AlanF. This lens looks like a superb small & light 100-400 zoom for Canon!
The TDP image quality chart shows it as soft at 400mm. i find it to be as sharp in the centre as the EF100-400mm II, and Canon’s MTF charts, which are reliable, show it to be a sharp lens. TDP gets these image quality charts wrong on occasion - one glaring example is the 400 mm DO II being softer than the 100-400mm II.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA

View attachment 201102
Cool shot. I feel like I'm right there having a conversation with him!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Hi, got a chance to take some close-ups portraits and In-Flight shots of various Raptors at the end of last week.
Mainly R5 with EF 70-200 MK2 and EF 100-400 MK2. They start here on Flickr!

Also got to test an RF100-500, unfortunately not on any Birds.

Cheers Brian
Thanks for all the "Likes", I took too many shots that day and have nearly finished sorting them.
The final results are now in two Albums on flickr:

Some of the more interesting Birds were nackered out by the Friday so they were rested, despite that, still great to spend a day
amongst such incredible Birds. I have had a few Birds in my garden that would react to a whistle and take food of my hands. Its
not such a common sight to have a bird flying straight towards you, same here, the Falconers did whatever we asked them to do,
and repeated it until we had the shots. The light was maybe too hard, but the autumn colours were great.

Cheers Brian

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
A bearded vulture from our local zoo.
They are the parents of young birds that are returned to the wild in the Bavarian Alps.

View attachment 201100
Eagle World near the north tip of Denmark has one that does a mean flying display, unfortunately it has a crush
on this Falconer . No other people or Birds are allowed near him when its around. I'd love to see one in the wild in Germany.

Bearded Vulture by Diane and Brian Dorling, auf Flickr

Cheers Brian

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0