Show your Bird Portraits

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
This one attracted my attention because of the unusual colors - the legs are not yellow or grayish, the bared skin around the eyes is not yellow but pinkish, that bill is too red! And the iris of the eyes - red?!
On other hand I think it was more than just a documentary shot (so, I like it!)... I'm ready to send the RAW files to any one interested - I see such a Cattle Egret first time (well, I took this photo today October 30 :rolleyes:, I saw a lot of strange things today but didn't expect any birds to take a place in these games!) so, any one interested of the RAW files (or has a photo with similar coloration of the Cattle Egret) is welcome! The last photo is for comparison - nearby (and standard looking) bird!
This is not a joke!

If you look here, you will find the information on the colour in the identification page, but they do not give us the reason why it has this colouring.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Deleted

7D2
Sep 30, 2021
Great pictures! :love:
Is there realy a rainbow in the background of the third? Beautiful!

And what is the last one doing? Looks strange.
Yep, the rainbow was really there. I often spend summer evenings photographing the swift and was lucky there was a rain shower behind. As soon as I saw the rainbow I just waited for a suitable bird.

The last shot is a common term. They dive in the water to catch fish. If they fail they shake off the water quite quickly, same as a dog shakes. Many diving birds do the same. It is just a matter of timing when to press the shutter button. It can be anything from a few seconds to a couple of minutes before the shake. After a while you spot the signs. With terns they usually slow and lift their head. It only lasts for about a second so there is a lot of luck involved. If they catch a fish they sometimes toss them so they can eat them head first.

5040A16A-47DB-4699-A895-AEBADBBB5653.jpeg

Thanks for your kind words,

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful shot!
a025.gif
Very well done.

Keep posting.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
In our own area of the world (midwest USA), the late-summer season is finally (and belatedly) changing to fall. I do not know 10% of what many who post on here know...but it seems to me that when the seasons change we get different birds in our front-yard tree.

An example?

Today's 'find' was a first for me:

5D3_8830 ps3 fix - Copy.jpg5D3_8837 ps3 fix - Copy.jpg5D3_8838 ps3 fix picasa fix - Copy.jpg

...a yellow bellied sapsucker!?

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0