Show your Bird Portraits

Distinctly Average

EOS M6 Mark II
Sep 30, 2021
A brief message to 2021. May this year be a better one.

7EE46758-34BC-43EA-8072-B069DF4D4D24.jpeg

HenryL

EOS R3, R5
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I took my R5 out today, first time since the R3 arrived. so I took it out on todays walk at the park. I right away noticed that the R5 feels downright tiny and somewhat sluggish now. Still a joy to shoot with, but the EVF is noticeably slower to start and AF is not as snappy (predictably) as with its big brother. It also took me a while to get used to using electronic shutter without any sound...it never bothered me before, but after having it on one camera, I very much miss it on the R5. First world problems, I know!

Anyway, I got there before the golden light faded, and despite it being the coldest morning of this winter there were still a few birds around. A flock of these American Goldfinches were playing right next to the parking lot. Thanks to cold gusty conditions, and with these guys not sitting still for more than a few seconds at a time, I had more shots than usual lost to motion blur, but did manage a few keepers.

R5_103_7141_1_DxO_C1_Web.jpg

A little while later I heard my favorite bird screaming behind me. I turned and looked up just as it landed right next to the road. The nest is about 200-250 yards away from here. It basically just landed, surveyed the meadow then took off towards the nest tree. No sign of it's mate yet, but they reside in the park year round so it's only a matter of time.
R5_103_7448_1_DxO_C1_Web.jpg

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I took my R5 out today, first time since the R3 arrived. so I took it out on todays walk at the park. I right away noticed that the R5 feels downright tiny and somewhat sluggish now. Still a joy to shoot with, but the EVF is noticeably slower to start and AF is not as snappy (predictably) as with its big brother. It also took me a while to get used to using electronic shutter without any sound...it never bothered me before, but after having it on one camera, I very much miss it on the R5. First world problems, I know!

Anyway, I got there before the golden light faded, and despite it being the coldest morning of this winter there were still a few birds around. A flock of these American Goldfinches were playing right next to the parking lot. Thanks to cold gusty conditions, and with these guys not sitting still for more than a few seconds at a time, I had more shots than usual lost to motion blur, but did manage a few keepers.

View attachment 201978

A little while later I heard my favorite bird screaming behind me. I turned and looked up just as it landed right next to the road. The nest is about 200-250 yards away from here. It basically just landed, surveyed the meadow then took off towards the nest tree. No sign of it's mate yet, but they reside in the park year round so it's only a matter of time.
View attachment 201979
Look at those talons! Can’t wait to capture one of these (bald eagle)! Nice shot.

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I got so excited from the post of the grilled_rooster...
Here are photos of a very common and easy to shoot bird (may be the easiest here, so easy that I never tried before to take a decent shots...). Actually if you are taking a fast lunch and seat on a bench and start opening your box some of these may come so close you even don't need a 150mm to take a nice portrait :)!
Anyway - when I notice the bird in front of the lanai this morning - with that light and when it was calling (looking so fluffy:)!) I took the shots. Probably my best shots of the Zebra Dove so far?

DSC_6307_DxO-1.jpg
DSC_6314_DxO.jpg

Jan 20, 2021
OK - I like the photo!
Could you please, tell us the story behind this shot before we start selling our much longer, heavier and expensive AF lenses;)?!
Hehe... i was at a wild life park. This guy was sitting in his aviary. And this aviary was placed in the ruin of an old castle. so the side i was standing had wide bars like a prison cell. And oc course i cropped this image ;-) Here's the full resolution picture.
3Q2A1043-101.jpg

Last edited: