Show your Bird Portraits

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Spent the last week in Israel, based in Eilat, to watch the bird migration, mainly high flying raptors. It was great birdwatching for the experts, and there really knowledgeable ones in the group as well as the superb guides. But, it was difficult for photography as we rarely got close and we were in the desert for much of the time. My wife used the R7 + RF 100-400mm and I the R5 + RF 100-500mm. Both sets of gear behaved superbly, and in the good light the R7 was hardly inferior. We took thousands of images and I'll post a few here. Then first bird we saw was at a car park, a Tristram's Starling, and a bit later a pair of White-spectacled Bulbuls, and I'll do one from each camera.

View attachment 208117View attachment 208118
Wonderful shots from Israel; never been there.

Interesting to me that you speak of 'the experts' and 'the really knowledgeable ones'...

For me, posters on this site (like you) fit into both of those categories.

=====

...on the Tristram's Starlings posted here:

I presume the images are that of a female Tristram's Starling?

"Males are glossy-black while females are browner overall"

I ask because had that either of those images been on my desktop I would lift shadows a bit (not too much)...to reveal a few of the details on the bird's belly...details that perhaps are really 'there' and easier to 'get to' because the female is a bit brown.

=====

Like this (our house sparrows are nothing if not entertaining), where the aim was to bring the male on top out of the shadows a bit without lightening the black birdhouse roof too much:

230330 house sparrows.gif

...as they say in the kitchen (and in a synthetic organic research lab;) )...season to taste!

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Wonderful shots from Israel; never been there.

Interesting to me that you speak of 'the experts' and 'the really knowledgeable ones'...

For me, posters on this site (like you) fit into both of those categories.

=====

...on the Tristram's Starlings posted here:

I presume the images are that of a female Tristram's Starling?

"Males are glossy-black while females are browner overall"

I ask because had that either of those images been on my desktop I would lift shadows a bit (not too much)...to reveal a few of the details on the bird's belly...details that perhaps are really 'there' and easier to 'get to' because the female is a bit brown.

=====

Like this (our house sparrows are nothing if not entertaining), where the aim was to bring the male on top out of the shadows a bit without lightening the black birdhouse roof too much:

View attachment 208166

...as they say in the kitchen (and in a synthetic organic research lab;) )...season to taste!
Thanks. There were professionals there, running bird centres, doing PhDs and who could recognise a bird from its ass as it whizzed by - they were in a different league from me. They were all photographers but tended to have lighter gear, like Olympus, although there was one more photographic type likeme who had a Z9 and 800/6.3 (easier to handle than I thought). You are right that these are female Tristram's Starlings. Their heads and throats are lighter coloured but their bodies are very deep brown and look blackish when the light isn't on them.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Most of the Blue Jays in our area are far too nervous to sit still for me and my gear.

One sat still today as I sort of hid behind a vehicle (100-400II @ 400; 5DMk III):

5D3_7366 ps3 fix - Copy.jpg

...it was a blue day as the Topaz suite turned a rather useless image into something halfway presentable (same lens combination as above...I really needed my extender:(); the Eastern Bluebird was in the neighbor's tree. But the Topaz software (recommended on this very forum) was useful.

5D3_7278 ps3 fix-topaz-enhance - Copy.jpg

...and blue-colored birds near our home point to spring in my area of the midwest USA!

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
First time that I saw a common redstart in my garden. I've seen black redstarts before.
Her male partner didn't like paparazzi and I am still waiting to get a photo of him, too.
As my 5D4 was on CPS service, I had to use the 200D.
To keep the details, I put a limit to ISO 800 and worked with the Av mode.
200D, 100-400L II, @400 mm, f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 800

redstart_c_2023_01.JPGredstart_c_2023_02.JPG

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0