Show your Bird Portraits

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
serendipidy said:
Jack Douglas said:
Was beginning to wonder if we'd ever see Harry again! ;) Lovely shots.

Jack

Thanks Jack. Harry, Jr was AWOL for 2 months and I thought maybe something had happened to him. He returned on Christmas day and, although his skills were rusty, we managed to catch some fish.
It looks like to me that you went AWOL with Harry! :p

Upvote 0
Winter Songbirds

Just a few songbirds from the past couple of months. Haven't been doing as much bird photography...not as much photography in general, rally...the last six months or so. Other things to do, and a lot of my time is spent on astrophotography (after you get the data, then you gotta make something of it...and THAT is where all the time goes. ;) )

Anyway, finches, chickadee, and a junco. The winter staples. All natural perches this time. I had a setup, but there were actually so many birds crawling all over it at once that the good opportunities were on all the branches where the other birds were waiting. ;P

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EF 600mm f/4 L II + 2x TC III
Handheld & Gitzo GT3532LS w/ Jobu Pro 2

15VdHb3.jpg

yQp5zi7.jpg

YZXfiLY.jpg

8hM2E46.jpg

C99CBCz.jpg

Upvote 0
rpt said:
serendipidy said:
Jack Douglas said:
Was beginning to wonder if we'd ever see Harry again! ;) Lovely shots.

Jack

Thanks Jack. Harry, Jr was AWOL for 2 months and I thought maybe something had happened to him. He returned on Christmas day and, although his skills were rusty, we managed to catch some fish.
It looks like to me that you went AWOL with Harry! :p

You are right rpt. I kinda got busy with other things and also was in a bit of a photographic slump, but interest has returned. :)

Upvote 0
jrista said:
Winter Songbirds

Just a few songbirds from the past couple of months. Haven't been doing as much bird photography...not as much photography in general, rally...the last six months or so. Other things to do, and a lot of my time is spent on astrophotography (after you get the data, then you gotta make something of it...and THAT is where all the time goes. ;) )

Anyway, finches, chickadee, and a junco. The winter staples. All natural perches this time. I had a setup, but there were actually so many birds crawling all over it at once that the good opportunities were on all the branches where the other birds were waiting. ;P

Canon EOS 5D Mark III

15VdHb3.jpg

yQp5zi7.jpg

YZXfiLY.jpg

8hM2E46.jpg

C99CBCz.jpg
Beautiful series...I love the color of the first one.

Upvote 0
jrista said:
Winter Songbirds

Canon EOS 5D Mark III

15VdHb3.jpg

yQp5zi7.jpg

YZXfiLY.jpg

8hM2E46.jpg

C99CBCz.jpg

1 and 4 are particular beauties!

Upvote 0
Thanks, everyone! :) Glad you like the shots.

I wanted to note, all of those were 1200mm f/8-10 on the 5D III. People worry about a TC reducing IQ...it really doesn't have to. They were all shot either on a tripod, or handheld with the lens resting on my deck railing. With proper stability, you can get the most out of even extreme equipment configurations.

Upvote 0
jrista said:
Winter Songbirds

Canon EOS 5D Mark III

15VdHb3.jpg

yQp5zi7.jpg

YZXfiLY.jpg

8hM2E46.jpg

C99CBCz.jpg

Nice work! I especially like numbers one through four. You gotta love our avian friends. :)

Upvote 0