Show your Bird Portraits

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Thanks, Cog, click, and Chrysoberyl!

@chrysoberyl - I am not in Florida :)

I'm near Vancouver, British Columbia -- just north of Seattle. We get tons of bald eagles here :) There is a lake within a 10 minute walk from my home, where I see them frequently, but the trees there are massive old growth evergreens, and so tall that the eagles perched at the top are tiny. Sometimes, I've been lucky enough to get photos of them doing interesting things, like a pair with nest-building materials.

Late winter/early spring is when I like to photograph eagles, before the leaves have come in. Also, because on a cold, crisp winter day, there's less haze from pollution. Even though pollution isn't a big problem here, you can definitely see it interfering with the crispness of photos on subjects at telephoto focal lengths.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
AlanF said:
Phil, Excellent series. The ones with the 100-400mm II have superb sharpness. You have one R-20 which is with the Sigma 150-600mm C at 600mm, it's quite sharp but not as good. How do you find the two lenses compare?
Alan

Thanks, Alan! I didn't think I had uploaded any of the Sigma shots, ty for catching that :)

I have been debating selling the 150-600. The main reason is that I don't find it a great lens for birds in flight compared to the 100-400 II.

Like you've noticed, the 150-600 is quite sharp, but not as good as the 100-400 II with or without the extender. My biggest issue with the Sigma is twofold: first, the manual focus ring is a cruel joke. Unless you have all the time in the world, forget about doing anything useful with it; it's jerky and hard to get where you want, plus the ring itself is way too thin. And second, the autofocus at f/6.3 is not very good -- I think it's actually worse than the 100-400 II with a 1.4x extender at f/8.

Also, the Sigma does not score as well for QoF on FoCal (I think Acceptable, versus Excellent on the 100-400 II), and you see it in real-life usage -- some autofocused shots are in better focus than others. So, practically, if I want to use it for bird portraits, I take a couple of shots, defocus, take another shot, and so on. It gets the results, but it's a bit of work in post, and sadly, some shots that have a great moment (like a bird with an open beak making a call) are slightly out of focus. By a few AFMA steps, nothing major, but enough that I decide not to keep the photo unless it's a rare shot/bird for me. The AF consistency on the 100-400II is bang on.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Talys said:
AlanF said:
Phil, Excellent series. The ones with the 100-400mm II have superb sharpness. You have one R-20 which is with the Sigma 150-600mm C at 600mm, it's quite sharp but not as good. How do you find the two lenses compare?
Alan

Thanks, Alan! I didn't think I had uploaded any of the Sigma shots, ty for catching that :)

I have been debating selling the 150-600. The main reason is that I don't find it a great lens for birds in flight compared to the 100-400 II.

Like you've noticed, the 150-600 is quite sharp, but not as good as the 100-400 II with or without the extender. My biggest issue with the Sigma is twofold: first, the manual focus ring is a cruel joke. Unless you have all the time in the world, forget about doing anything useful with it; it's jerky and hard to get where you want, plus the ring itself is way too thin. And second, the autofocus at f/6.3 is not very good -- I think it's actually worse than the 100-400 II with a 1.4x extender at f/8.

Also, the Sigma does not score as well for QoF on FoCal (I think Acceptable, versus Excellent on the 100-400 II), and you see it in real-life usage -- some autofocused shots are in better focus than others. So, practically, if I want to use it for bird portraits, I take a couple of shots, defocus, take another shot, and so on. It gets the results, but it's a bit of work in post, and sadly, some shots that have a great moment (like a bird with an open beak making a call) are slightly out of focus. By a few AFMA steps, nothing major, but enough that I decide not to keep the photo unless it's a rare shot/bird for me. The AF consistency on the 100-400II is bang on.

I download most of the posted attachments or look at Flickr to see what settings others use. I do have a very good copy of the 150-600mm C, but I find the body makes a difference to relative performance. Mine is very good on the 5DSR compared with the 5DIV. I agree about the AF - the Sigma is OK, the 100-400mm II superb, and the 400mm DO spectacular. I posted a comparison a couple of days ago http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=1280.msg709705#msg709705

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
sedwards said:
snappy604 said:
Some really beautiful shots out there.

re: Owls.. I never seem to find them in the wild, but I know they're around.. any tips?
Look on e-bird . search species maps , set to current year and zoom the map to your location . the species you searched will show up on the map.click the link and zoom the map to your location to see if there are snowies close by. They have already started moving north where I am.
https://ebird.org/map/snoowl1?neg=true&env.minX=-180&env.minY=-12.90540927884171&env.maxX=180&env.maxY=86.37933261119353&zh=true&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=cur

Thanks!

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Talys said:
Thanks, Cog, click, and Chrysoberyl!

@chrysoberyl - I am not in Florida :)

I'm near Vancouver, British Columbia -- just north of Seattle. We get tons of bald eagles here :) There is a lake within a 10 minute walk from my home, where I see them frequently, but the trees there are massive old growth evergreens, and so tall that the eagles perched at the top are tiny. Sometimes, I've been lucky enough to get photos of them doing interesting things, like a pair with nest-building materials.

Late winter/early spring is when I like to photograph eagles, before the leaves have come in. Also, because on a cold, crisp winter day, there's less haze from pollution. Even though pollution isn't a big problem here, you can definitely see it interfering with the crispness of photos on subjects at telephoto focal lengths.

Description sounds like Harrison Lake? it's another good hotspot for eagles on the west coast.. did mine at Boundary Bay. Wish I'd had more time, eagles can be surprisingly lazy and didn't want to move early in the morning. Good shots!.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
lion rock said:
I saw lots near Highway 99 near Richmond/White Rock. Have plane trip to Vancouver at the end of March. Hope to see and shoot them!
-r

hopefully not literally! ;-) yeah the Vancouver dump is near there and it certainly is a hotspot for eagles. They tend to go after vermin and other easy pickings near the dump. I haven't figured out a place to stop as the highways don't have easy exits to local streets in the area (and I've been a bit lazy doing my homework)

Boundary Bay is relatively close to there and has better backdrops/scenery. Best time for eagles seems Dec/Feb. Not sure how clustered they'll be by end of March. I'm not a true birder, just interested in taking pics of them from time to time :)

Upvote 0
Yes, I do mean to shoot them with a camera. Just to capture their images. Look up the power line towers, there are nests there.
Best time I know, here near Richmond, VA., the best time is mid February when they are not quite ready for nesting and the weather is not too cold. March is a bit late as some of them are in their nests laying eggs.
Last year I was there in Vancouver, I parked on the side of the highway (99) (yes, quite exciting/dangerous with the traffic whipping by) and quickly shoot a few (frames). I remember there is a nearby road that leads to a small community, which I tried with less visible subjects.
I hear that Boundary Bay is a good location, but I didn't know how to get there, maybe, I'll look it up when get there, hopefully.
-r

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
AlanF said:
I download most of the posted attachments or look at Flickr to see what settings others use. I do have a very good copy of the 150-600mm C, but I find the body makes a difference to relative performance. Mine is very good on the 5DSR compared with the 5DIV. I agree about the AF - the Sigma is OK, the 100-400mm II superb, and the 400mm DO spectacular. I posted a comparison a couple of days ago http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=1280.msg709705#msg709705

I saw that; they were nice shots! It makes sense that the body affects the AF performance, especially at lower light, since the higher end bodies have dedicated AF processors.

The 400 DOII and the 200-400 with TC are the two lens that I would love the most. Air con is going in this year, perhaps after that :) Ironically, the 200-400 is about exactly the same price as AC for the house, LOL.

Upvote 0
For the few referring to Vancouver,

My favourite location is the north 40 Park Reserve. You can find many in the trees, and flying over head. in air fights for food etc. If possible, plan a trip during the week days. There is far less human traffic and dogs, and the Eagles tend to stay way lower to the ground. There are many times they will be on branches no more then 15 ft up. The other day there was one snacking on something, and two eagles swooped into to try and steal it. All three dove down towards me taking off the branch, and I had to duck to the ground to possibly keep from being hit. I could feel the air over my head, I imagine they were no more then a couple feet above me. It was amazing.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/North+40+Park+Reserve/@49.0835089,-123.0269526,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x520fa8069cbabeb7!8m2!3d49.0837759!4d-123.0220649

Edit: all the streets on the map close to Pinned location are apart of the Park. It used to be housing for the military families in past (if I remember correctly) which the houses have been torn down, and the streets are over grown, and the homes to the Eagles.

Attachments

• DSC_0093.jpg
    DSC_0093.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0342.jpg
    DSC_0342.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
Ryananthony,
Beautiful shots!
You know, we drove from near Kingsway/Fraser towards White Rock on 99S, and I think we weren't too far from the place you indicated. I think this time we'll try the location. Thanks for the tips. If I get any nice shots, I'll dedicate one to you.
On the same road, it goes to the ferry terminal to Victoria Island, another reason to visit the park reserve.
On a GAStronomic topic, the food in Vancouver is fantastic! Great Korean, Indian and Chinese food, one can grow large there!
-r

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
So many incredible shots recently and all of such a high standard it is difficult to know what to say to complement the photographers that have taken them.
Well done or nice shot do not seem enough, however, well done, nice shots all. :)

Please could someone tell me what breed this little fellow is, found on the beach on the south coast of England February 17th picking sand flies or something from the sea wall by flying up and sort of hovering / scrambling for a toehold whilst picking them off.
Size is about that of a Sparrow or Robin.

IMG_1145_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr
Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0