Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
dpc said:
Female white-winged crossbill...

First - thanks to everyone!
Bunch of great photos again - with dpc taking the price for productivity :)!
dpc - I like your photos very much, this one too but I afraid the bird has nothing to do with the White-winged crossbill. Looks more like female House sparrow with deformed by some reasons bill (I have seen similar deformation also here, on the Islands)? And it should be significantly smaller than the crossbill... The higher resolution and possibility to zoom into the photo are helping to see clearly deformation!

I will leave the original text like it is but this crossbill is not bigger than House sparrow.
Click, I have to save your smiley with the cafe and use it when needed!!

Upvote 0
ISv said:
dpc said:

dpc - I like your photos very much, this one too but I afraid the bird has nothing to do with the White-winged crossbill. Looks more like female House sparrow with deformed by some reasons bill (I have seen similar deformation also here, on the Islands)? And it should be significantly smaller than the crossbill... The higher resolution and possibility to zoom into the photo are helping to see clearly deformation!

I will leave the original text like it is but this crossbill is not bigger than House sparrow.
Really sad, I photographed a House Finch with Avian Pox at my feeder , here is a link about deformation.
https://feederwatch.org/learn/articles/deformed-bills-alaska/

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
jprusa said:
ISv said:
dpc said:

Really sad, I photographed a House Finch with Avian Pox at my feeder , here is a link about deformation.
https://feederwatch.org/learn/articles/deformed-bills-alaska/

Thanks for the article. I'm not sure these are disease caused by one factor or similar symptoms of disease caused by different factors. For the Avian Pox as far as I know the reason is the avian pox virus. Here on the islands due to the mosquitoes the avian pox and the avian malaria are among the more important factors for the declining of the endemic birds. They have no natural resistance to these disease (few exceptions - like Amakihi) and now species that have been presented from sea level to the top of the mountains are restricted to the high elevations only where there are no mosquitoes (or not the same species of mosquitoes).

Upvote 0
ISv said:
dpc said:

Thanks for the heads up on the sparrow with the deformed beak, ISv! I was trying to find what looked most like the bird in my Birds of Western Canada (edited by David M.Bird!). I used to be fairly good at IDing our feathered friends decades ago but have woefully fallen out of practice. :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv said:
dps this topic anyway is more about photography and less about birding! I just try to be useful...

Stick around, you are very useful! ;)

What I like about this thread and those who likewise enjoy/participate in it, is that it's about birds but most of us are not really "birders", you know those funny people with funny hats that run around with binoculars and can be very intimidating. :) When I first got decent gear 6 years ago one of them (a personal friend) commented about my shots, "you're just shooting all the easy ones", and of course that was true. :mad: ;D

Jack

Upvote 0