Show your Bird Portraits

serendipidy said:
Recently took a trip to San Francisco. Took lots of photos with my 5D3. Also, just got a Flickr account. I will try to post some using my Flickr. I hope this works. Here are some hummingbird shots.
Beaut pics serendipidy. Tack sharp.
What lens?

dolina said:
serendipidy did you use artificial light with your humming bird shots?
And that was my next question :)

While you took the pic in San Francisco I can't help but think the type of red flower is a eucalyptus :)

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
dolina said:
The Philippine Magpie-Robin (Copsychus mindanensis) is a species of bird in the Muscicapidae family. It is endemic to the Philippines. It previously was considered a subspecies of the Oriental Magpie-Robin.

Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests and subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Magpie-Robin

Settings: 1/100 ƒ/5.6 ISO 1250 700mm

===========

Story behind the photo:

I almost did not bother taking a photo of this Philippine Magpie-Robin (Copsychus mindanensis) thinking this was just another Philippine Pied Fantail (Rhipidura nigritorquis) that is extremely difficult to photograph because it rarely, if ever, stays still. I was also disinterested in picturing the Fantail here because I can easily do it from the comfort of my backyard.

What peaked my interest was its behaviour of staying rather stationary in the trees and it not spreading its tail into a fan. Another thing that caught my eye was the white and black feathers being of a slightly different pattern. Anyways, for those curious this is another lifer for me and what is more an endemic bird that can only be found in the Philippines.

For those who would want to take a photo of dark feathered birds you generally need to overexpose by 2-stops to get the bards to show up but you have to be mindful of balancing it out to consider the white feathers as well.

Nice shot Paolo. A question ... how do you distinguish this bird from the Oriental Magpie Robin?

Upvote 0
J.R. said:
dolina said:
The Philippine Magpie-Robin (Copsychus mindanensis) is a species of bird in the Muscicapidae family. It is endemic to the Philippines. It previously was considered a subspecies of the Oriental Magpie-Robin.

Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests and subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests.

===========

Story behind the photo:

I almost did not bother taking a photo of this Philippine Magpie-Robin (Copsychus mindanensis) thinking this was just another Philippine Pied Fantail (Rhipidura nigritorquis) that is extremely difficult to photograph because it rarely, if ever, stays still. I was also disinterested in picturing the Fantail here because I can easily do it from the comfort of my backyard.

What peaked my interest was its behaviour of staying rather stationary in the trees and it not spreading its tail into a fan. Another thing that caught my eye was the white and black feathers being of a slightly different pattern. Anyways, for those curious this is another lifer for me and what is more an endemic bird that can only be found in the Philippines.

For those who would want to take a photo of dark feathered birds you generally need to overexpose by 2-stops to get the bards to show up but you have to be mindful of balancing it out to consider the white feathers as well.

Nice shot Paolo. A question ... how do you distinguish this bird from the Oriental Magpie Robin?
thanks! I was told that geography is the main indicator for the split. The birder who informed me did not elaborate further.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
serendipidy said:
Recently took a trip to San Francisco. Took lots of photos with my 5D3. Also, just got a Flickr account. I will try to post some using my Flickr. I hope this works. Here are some hummingbird shots.

C69A1056-dpp-c by joher777, on Flickr

C69A1801-dpp-c by joher777, on Flickr

C69A1881-dpp-c by joher777, on Flickr

C69A2217-dpp-c by joher777, on Flickr

Awesome Serendipidy! These look a bit more challenging as captures than Harry! Congratulations, really, really nice! I like them all quite a bit but I really love the last one... not sure why but that black background has something to do with it for me and the almost macro image of the flowers... really nice set!

It looks like you've toned down the BB a little bit too, I like it! ;D

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
dolina said:

Philippine Magpie-Robin (Copsychus mindanensis) by alabang, on Flickr

===========

Story behind the photo:

Wonderful Paolo!

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your very kind comments. :)

My wife and I took our first vacation in 2 years and went for a week in San Francisco which we love and is the closest landfall from Hawaii (I really hate to fly these days). ;D She loves hummingbirds and told me I had to get some good shots (we don't have them here :(). So I looked and looked and couldn't see any. With only a few days left we went to the zoo where we saw some several years ago. 3 hours later as we were leaving...still no hummers. I got lots of decent zoo shots, however,with my new 5D3 (this trip was the excuse I used on her to upgrade from my 7D). Just as we exited the gate, there was this pretty blue flower plant so I got my 5D3 out with the 70-200F/2.8LII. She was yelling haven't you taken enough photos over the last 3 hours (she is NOT a photog and was ready to leave after 1 hour). Just as I focused, that pretty hummer zooms in. I couldn't focus on him since he was jumping all over, so I just focused on the flower and fired away.

Encouraged, 3 days later, I went to the SF Botanical Gardens in Golden Gate Park to shoot some flowers. Just inside the entrance was this 30-40 feet tall red flowering tree. I walked toward it for some tree flower shots, when I noticed several small birds flying in and out. They were hummers! These guys really were attracted ( a sign called it the red flowering gum tree from western Australia). So I used my 5D3 and 100-400L @ 400mm shooting up into the tree from 15-50 feet away for over an hour to get those shots. I really got a stiff neck and sore back from all that bending and straining upwards but my wife was pleased with the photos! (Happy wife...Happy life ;D).

Maximilian..yes, I wish that spider would have made his web elsewhere.
rpt and J.R., thanks for you nice words.
Dolina and Mr. Bean...All were taken handheld in natural outdoor lighting and were heavily cropped since the first one was @200mm and the other 3 were @400mm and I was not real close and they are small birds.
Krob78...Thank you my friend for your comments. You have taught me a lot on CR about bird photog. I think that background (which was just some distant green foliage in shade) turned black due to underexposure. I didn't plan that but it was serendipity :) and I like it too.
Jack Douglas...After your post, I do believe that is your green hummer. Flying south for the winter ;)

I just made this Flickr account several days ago to post all my SF shots since a friend told me I really should. I am still trying to learn how to use it well. If you click on the photo, it will take you there where I have more hummers and also will keep adding landscape and zoo shots over the next few days.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Just flipping back over stuff I shot in the summer. For this one maybe we should have a new thread, "Ugliest Birds" or "Birds Only a Mother Could Love" or "Ugly as Sin Birds". But that might offend our bird friends and get us in trouble with the Birds Rights Commission! :)

6D 300 X2 2000th F5.6 ISO 2000 shutter speed - seems I'm always worried there will be movement or flight that I won't catch.

JDW

Attachments

• Ugly_Harry.JPG
    Ugly_Harry.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 948
Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Just flipping back over stuff I shot in the summer. For this one maybe we should have a new thread, "Ugliest Birds" or "Birds Only a Mother Could Love" or "Ugly as Sin Birds". But that might offend our bird friends and get us in trouble with the Birds Rights Commission! :)

6D 300 X2 2000th F5.6 ISO 2000 shutter speed - seems I'm always worried there will be movement or flight that I won't catch.

JDW

Nice shot, Jack...but you're right about not being the most attractive bird in the forest ;)

How about some pretty in pink flamingoes from the SF zoo?

C69A1032-dpp-c by EricJ777, on Flickr

C69A0880-dpp-c by EricJ777, on Flickr

C69A0877-dpp by EricJ777, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Maximilian said:
Rienzphotoz said:
... it was 1982chris911 who hasn't been active for over 2 years ...

Last Active: May 07, 2013, 04:10:50 PM

Still some time ago, but not 2 years.

But a really wonderful and inspiring thread. Thanks to all contributors, too.
My bad ... I mixed up his "Date Registered" and "Last Active" date.
Yes, it is truly a inspiring thread ... always encourages me to emulate the work done by by some amazing CR members.

Upvote 0