Show your Bird Portraits

Young Flame robin about to be fed by mum. The males have a black head, and a much redder chest.
5D3 with 300mm f4. Challenging light, very late in the day, back lit by bright cloud and a shutter speed of 1/160 or slower. Just hold the button down and hope something comes out of it :)
378A7824_Flame_robin_baby_being_fed.jpg

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Maximilian, I'm with you actually. There isn't a bird that I don't love, but we know some are just naturally not winners in the beauty contests! ;)

The little bird (I have to try to remember there are viewers world wide) is a Black Capped Chickadee - Tit family I guess, and he/she was about 10 feet away in a little sheltered spot beneath/behind a willow tree where the beaver dam leaked enough water to form a tiny stream. i was on the dam somewhat above. The sun was breaking through and there was only one line of vision so I had no choice but to try as it was. Quite dark with lots of action so it's not the best.

6D 300 F2.8 II 2X III 800th F6.3 ISO 3200 Here's another in the sequence - not a spong bath for sure! :)

I had no clue when I purchased the 6D and 300 that virtually all my shooting this summer would be 300 X2 but that's what's happened. I know seasoned birders would say what would you expect, even 600 is not enough, and now I know. Never the less, that combination works so well for hand held shots. I tried tripod for a while but I guess I just love my mobility too much.

Jack

Attachments

• ChikadeeBath_8434.JPG
    ChikadeeBath_8434.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 629
Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Mr Bean said:
Tawny Frogmouth on nest. Not a true owl, but a member of the Nightjar family of birds. A difficult one to spot as they blend in with the bark of the tree. Unfortunately, we found the body of a dead chick, on the ground below this nest. Hopefully, they have a second chick under this adult.
5D3 with 300mm f4 + 1.4x TC.
378A7752_Tawny_on_nest.jpg

Bean, that is a wonderful image! Only the 2nd time I've seen one of these! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Mr Bean said:
Tawny Frogmouth on nest. Not a true owl, but a member of the Nightjar family of birds. A difficult one to spot as they blend in with the bark of the tree. Unfortunately, we found the body of a dead chick, on the ground below this nest. Hopefully, they have a second chick under this adult.
5D3 with 300mm f4 + 1.4x TC.
378A7752_Tawny_on_nest.jpg

I've never seen this bird, either. Thanks for posting it. I can see how it could easily be missed.

Upvote 0