Show your Bird Portraits

Hi

Some recent bird shots at the Wollongong Botanic Garden

1. Rainbow Lorikeet
2. I think this is a Dusky Moorhen
3. Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
4. Satin Bowerbird I think this is an immature male as it was building a bower the net pic shows a mature male who was undoing his work. Immature male and females look alike the male does not get his blue plumage until about 5-6 years of age.
5. Satin Bowerbird mature male

Attachments

• Botanic Garden 25-10-15050.jpg
    Botanic Garden 25-10-15050.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Botanic Garden 25-10-15055.jpg
    Botanic Garden 25-10-15055.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Botanic Garden 25-10-15020.jpg
    Botanic Garden 25-10-15020.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Botanic Garden 25-10-15009.jpg
    Botanic Garden 25-10-15009.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Botanic Garden 25-10-15059.jpg
    Botanic Garden 25-10-15059.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
rpt said:
Jack Douglas said:
Oh, and the other benefit of the nature threads of CR is the friendly exchanges and comradeship, kind of a feeling of family. Especially, knowing Click is there lending his approval! :)

Jack
+1 on all counts :)

+2 ;D

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
HELP please, pretty please with sugar on top! :)

Have searched and not succeeded - looking for a simple way of breaking birds (animals to a lesser extent) into categories, like a tree structure for filing my photos.

Like most dummies, I was careless in that I didn't originally create a good file structure and almost drowned in the resulting sea of photos. I'm now digging myself out of a hole and am filing by date but also each year has a duplication file structure by name. It's here that I need help with a good tree structure something like:

Waterbird - duck - mallard - immature etc. It's that group of initial folders, i.e. Waterbird, that I'd like to get right -should be simple but workable.

This will not be as extensive as some since I don't travel the world, at least not yet, so I'm going to be North America if that matters.

Jack

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Jack Douglas said:
HELP please, pretty please with sugar on top! :)

Have searched and not succeeded - looking for a simple way of breaking birds (animals to a lesser extent) into categories, like a tree structure for filing my photos.

Like most dummies, I was careless in that I didn't originally create a good file structure and almost drowned in the resulting sea of photos. I'm now digging myself out of a hole and am filing by date but also each year has a duplication file structure by name. It's here that I need help with a good tree structure something like:

Waterbird - duck - mallard - immature etc. It's that group of initial folders, i.e. Waterbird, that I'd like to get right -should be simple but workable.

This will not be as extensive as some since I don't travel the world, at least not yet, so I'm going to be North America if that matters.

Jack
Take your favourite bird book and organize your bird photos like the book does..... The following picture would be Herons - Great Blue. (Shot today from the canoe, 7D2 and 70-200F4)

Attachments

• D15A8397-3.jpg
    D15A8397-3.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Not a bad idea Don, but I find the book, Stokes for example, to be somewhat less than intuitive probably because it's based on a scientific structure relating to genetics. I was hoping someone might have created something simpler but still very useful.

Today my miniature crab apples have been disappearing.

Jack

Attachments

• Pine grosbeak_1D4_1303.JPG
    Pine grosbeak_1D4_1303.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Just occurred to me that someone might like to see this flash/no flash comparison from yesterday. Camera was on manual and with two shots @10fps the second wasn't illuminated. I've simply brightened the raw file to try to get a reasonable comparison of the difference one might expect on a semi-drab day. There was slight back lighting. Others have recommended fill flash in the past but I've only used it with a set-up, this was roaming on camera. 1D4, 300 2.8 cropped maybe 1/3 frame.

Any suggestions as to how to best proportion the natural light and flash with camera/flash settings would be much appreciated. I took a reference shot to get exposure, went manual and then played with the 600 EX setting.

Jack

Attachments

• Grosbeak_F_1393.JPG
    Grosbeak_F_1393.JPG
    972.2 KB · Views: 135
  • GrosbeakNF_1394.JPG
    GrosbeakNF_1394.JPG
    908.7 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 0