Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Nice shots Islander and Alan. Here is one of mine from this morning guaranteed to warm your heart. Backlit so I used some fill flash. 400 DO X1.4. I'm really pleased with the used RF flash transmitter that I picked up since it allows me to position my two 600 EX RT's where I need them.

Jack

Attachments

• Robin_s_24982.JPG
    Robin_s_24982.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Jack Douglas said:
Nice shots Islander and Alan. Here is one of mine from this morning guaranteed to warm your heart. Backlit so I used some fill flash. 400 DO X1.4. I'm really pleased with the used RF flash transmitter that I picked up since it allows me to position my two 600 EX RT's where I need them.

Jack

What a beautiful shot, Jack. You have managed to balance the flash with the background really well.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks mike. If I start shooting mid morning then the sun is behind to the left and the flashes have been positioned about 8 feet to the right of where I'm shooting from, one high one lower. I shoot manual and adjust the ISO so that without flash I'm slightly underexposed and then if needed fiddle with the flash exposure compensation. One problem, my flashes don't have quite enough range and coverage depending on where the little birdies choose to roost. :(

Another pose.

Since I'm new to this, any hints, anyone?

Jack

Attachments

• Robin_s_24956.JPG
    Robin_s_24956.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
Upvote 0
Time to add a few birds here.
Jack, I like your winterly robin-shots with added flashlight.

I have been around the same approach.
I feed small birds in my backyard and can in many cases photograph them from my windows.
In wintertime the birds are in shadow, while the background is generally ligter. There is light enough to photograph.

However I find that the pictures come much more alive, when I add a bit of flash. The details of the plumage show more clearly and a bit of catchlight in the eyes is another advantage.

Great tit and bullfinch are both shot in February 2017.
Both with Canon 6D, Tamron 150-600mm (Mk I) @600 mm, 1/160 s, f/6.3, ISO 800.

The flash is placed 1 m to my right and balanced (manually) to blend to my liking based on a bit of experimentation.

Attachments

• IMG_3311.jpg
    IMG_3311.jpg
    822.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
IslanderMV said:
Pied-billed Grebe with fish.

Very nice Jeff! Is this one of the smaller grebes where you are living? It looks a bit like the little grebe I spotted a couple of weeks ago from a hide (unfortunately it kept its distance so I don't have decent pictures of "mine").
The little grebe is called "Dodaars" in my country, indicating the fluffy backside - which your pied-billed grebe also shows a bit ;)

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Nice shots of these fluffed-up robins (I guess Canadian variant ;) - they're distinctly different from our European robins).
Nicely done with the flashes - they don't show as unnatural lighting!

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
PKinDenmark said:
Time to add a few birds here.
Jack, I like your winterly robin-shots with added flashlight.

I have been around the same approach.
I feed small birds in my backyard and can in many cases photograph them from my windows.
In wintertime the birds are in shadow, while the background is generally ligter. There is light enough to photograph.

However I find that the pictures come much more alive, when I add a bit of flash. The details of the plumage show more clearly and a bit of catchlight in the eyes is another advantage.

Great tit and bullfinch are both shot in February 2017.
Both with Canon 6D, Tamron 150-600mm (Mk I) @600 mm, 1/160 s, f/6.3, ISO 800.

The flash is placed 1 m to my right and balanced (manually) to blend to my liking based on a bit of experimentation.

Nice shots PK! I like the colours in the background, matched to the birds ;) Well done!

Wiebe.

Upvote 0