Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Beautiful birds ISv! Given they were shot in a zoo, they apparently made an effort to make it look natural; only one shot showing some 'man-made' objects (or is it the photographers craftsmanship staging the compositions such that no non-natural objects come into view ;))(y)
W.
On close inspection, you can see the bottom four are all ringed.

Upvote 0
ISv,
72186-3ea2cbe5672c6c91e28423deac4f2b91.jpg
Without captive creatures, most of us mortals can't see a lot of the vast variety of the species. Nor do we really take the care to observe closely what they look like.
If the creatures are taken great care of, we should enjoy them. Only difference a captive animal don't enjoy is it's natural range of environment. Or, maybe its' own crowd.
The zoo in Pittsburgh has a great variety of creatures there, and the National Zoo in Washington, DC., also has a great program to care for their "guests."
While visiting Maui, I saw a "zoo" which has a fairly opened compound, the hosted flight-capable creatures can roam around quite freely, while the natives come and go as they choose. Food keeps them returning. And there are some less common species that are kept in their own spaces, but they look to be cared for well.
-r

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Beautiful birds ISv! Given they were shot in a zoo, they apparently made an effort to make it look natural; only one shot showing some 'man-made' objects (or is it the photographers craftsmanship staging the compositions such that no non-natural objects come into view ;))(y)
W.
Thanks Wiebe, you have to stage, but in that place it's easy!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
On close inspection, you can see the bottom four are all ringed.
All are caged and you are in the cage with them. Actually you can see the cage only in #3 - the male starling, that feeder is at the very border of the cage. The other stuff that you see in the background are trees and even some "cliffs", they made it good. I wish it was bigger with more species flying around and not aloud for kids:)!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Beautiful birds. Nicely done, ISv.
Thanks Click!
ISv,
I'm pointed to the image of a "thumb up" being a blank square. So, I want to write it in words that your photos of the birds are beautiful and deserve a big "thumbs up."
-r
Thanks Riley!

Upvote 0

JohnyT

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2018
Sunday, during a lull in the rain, found this guy with Squirrel Dinner near UW Center for Urban Horticulture.
Later along the lake this American Bittern was pointed out to me by a UW student photographer.
Lucky day for me!

Attachments

• Hawk with Dinner 10-28-18.pdf
    785.4 KB · Views: 122
  • American Bittern 10-28-18.pdf
    897.3 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
ISv,
I'm pointed to the image of a "thumb up" being a blank square. So, I want to write it in words that your photos of the birds are beautiful and deserve a big "thumbs up."
-r

Riley, it doesn't mater. I asked my question in the "Flowers" because I didn't understand what did you mean (Graham explained what we see there).
:D: and I writ an answe same day, also in the "Flowers..." - just to find this morning that I forgot to push "Post reply" :D:D! When I log on the "Flowers" it is still there - waiting to be posted:oops:!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Sunday, during a lull in the rain, found this guy with Squirrel Dinner near UW Center for Urban Horticulture.
Later along the lake this American Bittern was pointed out to me by a UW student photographer.
Lucky day for me!
Please upload as jpegs

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Applecider, I wish the cats were the enemy of the native birds... The reality is that the rats and the Avian Malaria are killing the native birds here! All the introduced species are resistant to the Malaria, so they act as a reservoirs (virus is there) and the mosquitoes (vectors) are transferring this to the native birds (and they have no resistance but some obviously are developing such a resistance, like the Amakihi)... Rats are climbing the trees and attack the nests... I haven't seen cats in the higher mountain forest where the native birds have their last sanctuary (mosquitoes are not present there... usually...) but the rats are there - in numbers!!! I attache a picture (unfortunately had to crop to extend that the nest is out of the frame - just to squeeze it in the Forum, and actually the rats are 3!) of rats standing right under a nest and they DID come from that nest (me, the fool, was expecting to capture a photo of birds there!)!!!
I assume the cats and mongeese are not predating the rats enough? Need to bring in the snakes....I’m kidding

Upvote 0