Show your Bird Portraits

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Missed a few of the center frames - was zoomed too close and panicking because I was sure I was screwing the sequence up - I was completely unprepared (as usual) and got lucky (as usual). The climb and landing.

These are cropped and shrunk but they still look decent. One of my favorite sequences.

_E7A1768 DxO.jpg

_E7A1769 DxO.jpg

_E7A1770 DxO.jpg

_E7A1771 DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'm still waiting to get the RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1 L IS so that I can take long telephoto high-magnification shots of flowers and birds on my R5, since the graph of its background blur size at 500mm is almost identical to that of my MFT Olympus 300mm f4 lens, while the Canon resolution and color depth should go far beyond what Olympus can do. But since I don't have it, and I can't get (yet) R5 raw files through my DXO post pipeline, I was hoping that you wouldn't mind if I ran a few photos I just took with my Olympus 300mm lens since that raw file goes through my DXO. Here are some crops at 1:1 with it:P8150798_1_90%.jpgP8150842_1_90%.jpgP8151129_1_90%.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice series, HenryL.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Today must be eagle day...I'm in! Put the R5 in crop mode, trying to see how well it stands in for my 7DII. Methinks the 7DII is hitting the auction block...or not. I'm feeling kinda sentimental about it. Hmmm...decisions, decisions.

View attachment 192376
View attachment 192377

Funny - in the car right now I have my EOS-R, the 5D4, and the.........7D2. I've been 'nostalgia' shooting it for two days now and I'll never get rid of it.

Which lens did you use to get these? They're very good! Up here every day is eagle day. The only question is whether or not you can get to them..

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I'm still waiting to get the RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1 L IS so that I can take long telephoto high-magnification shots of flowers and birds on my R5, since the graph of its background blur size at 500mm is almost identical to that of my MFT Olympus 300mm f4 lens, while the Canon resolution and color depth should go far beyond what Olympus can do. But since I don't have it, and I can't get (yet) R5 raw files through my DXO post pipeline, I was hoping that you wouldn't mind if I ran a few photos I just took with my Olympus 300mm lens since that raw file goes through my DXO. Here are some crops at 1:1 with it:View attachment 192385View attachment 192386View attachment 192387

These are great - so super sharp - and it's good to see another DxO user. I love it. That plus Nik and a little Topaz Studio from time to time and I'm good to go..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
These are great - so super sharp - and it's good to see another DxO user. I love it. That plus Nik and a little Topaz Studio from time to time and I'm good to go..
Thanks, Bert.

I've been really happy with DXO PhotoLab as it gives some very easy to learn & simple ways to make some very big improvements to your images - especially if your images have more grain in them (like from a MFT sensor - ahem, cough, cough!) it can make it smooth as butter, and the sharpening tools and color/brightness corrections it allows with a few easy sliders lets "amateurs" like me get some surprising results (like those hummingbirds). It can't do a lot of really fancy stuff that you can with Lightroom & Photoshop, but I use AffinityPhoto for a few of those things (but I'm new to it and not an expert at all). I use PTGui to stitch panoramas, and have a self-customized tripod setup with dual Nodal Ninja ball-stop rotaters for fast & precise multi-row panorama alignment if you're into gigapixel landscape panos, etc. Now I got lucky enough to get the R5 at launch but that scuttled my ability to use its raw files in the programs I rely on - DOH!

For all of the people that do use Lightroom and Photoshop, you can all enjoy the fact that they already got R5 raw file input working (I heard), and you can all say to me in unison, "You get what you pay for!". I'm so jealous!

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Thanks, Bert.

I've been really happy with DXO PhotoLab as it gives some very easy to learn & simple ways to make some very big improvements to your images - especially if your images have more grain in them (like from a MFT sensor - ahem, cough, cough!) it can make it smooth as butter, and the sharpening tools and color/brightness corrections it allows with a few easy sliders lets "amateurs" like me get some surprising results (like those hummingbirds). It can't do a lot of really fancy stuff that you can with Lightroom & Photoshop, but I use AffinityPhoto for a few of those things (but I'm new to it and not an expert at all). I use PTGui to stitch panoramas, and have a self-customized tripod setup with dual Nodal Ninja ball-stop rotaters for fast & precise multi-row panorama alignment if you're into gigapixel landscape panos, etc. Now I got lucky enough to get the R5 at launch but that scuttled my ability to use its raw files in the programs I rely on - DOH!

For all of the people that do use Lightroom and Photoshop, you can all enjoy the fact that they already got R5 raw file input working (I heard), and you can all say to me in unison, "You get what you pay for!". I'm so jealous!

DxO won't be far behind.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0