Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art Available for Preorder

I just found the MTF on Lenstip, well their Polish site, so it's Google Translated

I sure hope these guys do a review soon. They and Photozone are the most comprehensive and critical and I'd like to see how the Sigma does with their tests. Lenstip recently published a rather unflattering review of the Nikon Nikkor AF-S 58 mm f/1.4G

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
mackguyver said:
I just found the MTF on Lenstip, well their Polish site, so it's Google Translated

I sure hope these guys do a review soon. They and Photozone are the most comprehensive and critical and I'd like to see how the Sigma does with their tests. Lenstip recently published a rather unflattering review of the Nikon Nikkor AF-S 58 mm f/1.4G
Has there been a good review of the nikor?

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
mackguyver said:

Has there been a good review of the nikor?
LOL, I don't think so. What a bomb for Nikon. Also, just found more samples of the Sigma - looks like flare resistance isn't quite as good as the 50L, but still not horrible: The Phoblographer - see 5th sample shot

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
With the 7-year-old 50mmL going for $1600...the new Sigma is a no-brainer for someone wanting a quality 50mm.
I do not care about the size and weight...its going on a DSLR for God's sake. LOL!
It is sooooo nice to see a normal focal length lens for a FF camera raised to this quality at this price point. I will definitely be selling off my current Sigma 50mm and buying in on this one sometime this year. I already really like my current 50mm (I have no AF issues)....so this Art lens should be very special!!!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
silversurfer96 said:
Definitely going to get this one in 2014. This will be wrapped under the Christmas tree this year waiting for me to open. Had the Canon 50 f/1.4, but was not impressed. Couldn't justified paying the huge price on Canon 50L, but at this price range, it's a definite "YES".

Here is what I want to know. How good is it compared to my 100L... does it have a magic bokeh. I'm quite familiar with the focal range and I used to shooting at shallow depth of fields... but I might opt for the 85L mkii over this 50... I hate making these decisions.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
sfunglee said:
I'm in dilemma between Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX and Canon 50mm 1.2L earlier...

Now, advice me on this new Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art...

Crop body, portrait of kid =)

One thing for sure this new Sigma 50 ART can't do is to shoot @ f1.2 :p

I think this new Sigma 50mm ART will be great ;)

Attachments

• _61A6959.jpg
    _61A6959.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,269
Upvote 0
What I really want to see is images that show some of the "drawing" ability of the 50L. That wonderful delineation. I would also really like to see some shots that show the transition bokeh. I don't ever get why so many early product shots from review sites (of large aperture primes) are of either scenics or large objects 10 feet or so from the lens. Show us some nice portrait type shots or more artistic narrow DOF shots - you know, the kind of shots that people actually buy lenses like this to take!!

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
What I really want to see is images that show some of the "drawing" ability of the 50L. That wonderful delineation. I would also really like to see some shots that show the transition bokeh. I don't ever get why so many early product shots from review sites (of large aperture primes) are of either scenics or large objects 10 feet or so from the lens. Show us some nice portrait type shots or more artistic narrow DOF shots - you know, the kind of shots that people actually buy lenses like this to take!!

Dustin, I agree and here are some slightly better examples from B&H's blog - samples at the bottom. The transition bokeh on the shot with the glasses isn't pretty, but I don't think we'll know until we can do a real-world side-by-side comparison, in the way you suggest. I think it will be hard to top the 50L's bokeh.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Coolhandchuck said:
If more reviews come out like SLR Gear's, will Canon and Nikon step up their game or will they just admit defeat? Sigma is making it really difficult it even consider a 35mm or 50mm from another manufacturer.

I'm hoping Canon can do a 50mm f1.4 (or even f2) IS, that would be both something new and highly desirable.

ScottyP said:
They were smart. They knew they needed to keep it under the psychological $1000 threshold, so it seems like a bargain and it is clearly less than the OEM. But OTOH, they had a ton of built-up demand so they wanted to get close to $1000. Brilliantly done.

I have no problem with Sigma milking this lens, I'm sure they could use a cash cow right now and if it means they will be better able to produce more fantastic lenses like it then I'm all for it.
Once their sales figures as a whole look a little more like Canon then we can get picky about price.

Upvote 0