Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art Available for Preorder

Dylan777 said:
jdramirez said:
sagittariansrock said:
I think you're being too cynical. Time will tell, but most consumers (not CR forum members) chose what works best for them.
I am hoping I get the Amazon lightning deal for this one (or be blessed with whatever luck JD is blessed...). Although I have to say, CanonPriceWatch is the best thing to have happened (or the worst, depending on your PoV).

I personally prefer how people just gravitate towards the Canon name brand. It keeps my gear at a higher resale value... But the conclusion I've come to... is that Canon may cost more, but more often than not, it is well worth it. There are some Canon lenses I don't like, but they tend to be all entry level and old... like the 28-135, or the 17-85... and that's not really fair.

As for Amazon lightening... I don't think I can hold out that long. I have that buy it now itch... and it feels like chiken pox... Must... wait... must be patient.

LOL... ;D

I know the feeling....I'm itching for Canon 600mm f4 IS II. I already have this lens in my BH account, including accessories etc...All I have to do is push the purchase button.

Half a bottle of Tequila and that button will be pushed in no time at all! ;D

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Zv said:
Dylan777 said:
jdramirez said:
sagittariansrock said:
I think you're being too cynical. Time will tell, but most consumers (not CR forum members) chose what works best for them.
I am hoping I get the Amazon lightning deal for this one (or be blessed with whatever luck JD is blessed...). Although I have to say, CanonPriceWatch is the best thing to have happened (or the worst, depending on your PoV).

I personally prefer how people just gravitate towards the Canon name brand. It keeps my gear at a higher resale value... But the conclusion I've come to... is that Canon may cost more, but more often than not, it is well worth it. There are some Canon lenses I don't like, but they tend to be all entry level and old... like the 28-135, or the 17-85... and that's not really fair.

As for Amazon lightening... I don't think I can hold out that long. I have that buy it now itch... and it feels like chiken pox... Must... wait... must be patient.

LOL... ;D

I know the feeling....I'm itching for Canon 600mm f4 IS II. I already have this lens in my BH account, including accessories etc...All I have to do is push the purchase button.

Full bottle of tequila and you'll be pawing at the wife.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
jdramirez said:
sagittariansrock said:

LOL... ;D

Do it before they close for passover! Hurry!
Ok... in 7 hrs I mean. Hurry then!

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
jdramirez said:
But the conclusion I've come to... is that Canon may cost more, but more often than not, it is well worth it.

As long as Sigma has no choice but to reverse-engineer Canon's AF system, there always remain a chance that a Sigma lens may no longer work, or no longer work 100% (such as weird focus behavior in live view, etc, which I have experienced with some Sigma), with future Canon firmware updates or future Canon bodies in general.

Having dealt with Sigma service before with headaches abound, I can understand those who stick with the Canon brand.

In addition, unlike the Sigma 35 1.4 ART and Canon 35 1.4 situation, the 50 1.4 ART vs. Canon 50 1.2 L situation do not deal with the equivalent lens aperture class. I understand many here who will say the small stop of light advantage does not mean anything, especially since it's not sharp wide-open, etc, but the general public may feel differently in perception.

Having said that, I will happily keep using my 50L for another year or so, as I do love the small size and rendition of 50L, then I will likely pick up a used 50 ART or on heavy sale in future.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
jdramirez said:
Zv said:
Dylan777 said:
jdramirez said:
sagittariansrock said:

LOL... ;D

Full bottle of tequila and you'll be pawing at the wife.

It's nice to have buddies on CR ;D

I went to the beach this morning with my 400mm + x1.4 TC, this combo does very well shooting the surfers.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Radiating said:
So to get the single greatest improvement in a class of lenses for only $949 is the bargain of the century. Canon or Nikon would have charged you $3000.

To summarise, if Canon want to come out with a killer 50/1.4 lens that will replace their current 50/1.4 (and maybe 50/1.8), it needs to be:
1) cost less than $949 so that it is cheaper than the Sigma 50/1.4 Art
2) deliver better quality images than the 50/1.2L
3) provide at least IS and possibly weather sealing

... wait, no it doesn't ... all that Canon's next 50/1.4 lens will need is this:

1) a red ring around the lens.

and people will buy it in preference to the Sigma, regardless of price or performance.

It also needs to autofocus consistently, something Sigma's 18-35mm f1.8 and older 50mm f1.4 can't claim to do.

Bokeh looks clinical, not as soft as the old 50mm f1.4. But clean... Kind of want this lens.

Upvote 0
drjlo said:
jdramirez said:
But the conclusion I've come to... is that Canon may cost more, but more often than not, it is well worth it.

As long as Sigma has no choice but to reverse-engineer Canon's AF system, there always remain a chance that a Sigma lens may no longer work, or no longer work 100% (such as weird focus behavior in live view, etc, which I have experienced with some Sigma), with future Canon firmware updates or future Canon bodies in general.

Having dealt with Sigma service before with headaches abound, I can understand those who stick with the Canon brand.

Yes, and any future malfunctions of 3rd party lenses are most likely deliberately caused by Canon in hopes of forcing brand-loyalty. Sigma knows this, and is the reason they offer the USB dock. So when your lenses all of a sudden have issues, complain to the responsible party, not Sigma.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
jdramirez said:
sagittariansrock said:

LOL... ;D

If you do get that fantastic lens, could you maybe post some images? ツ

Upvote 0
Policar said:
dilbert said:
Radiating said:
So to get the single greatest improvement in a class of lenses for only $949 is the bargain of the century. Canon or Nikon would have charged you $3000.

To summarise, if Canon want to come out with a killer 50/1.4 lens that will replace their current 50/1.4 (and maybe 50/1.8), it needs to be:
1) cost less than $949 so that it is cheaper than the Sigma 50/1.4 Art
2) deliver better quality images than the 50/1.2L
3) provide at least IS and possibly weather sealing

... wait, no it doesn't ... all that Canon's next 50/1.4 lens will need is this:

1) a red ring around the lens.

and people will buy it in preference to the Sigma, regardless of price or performance.

It also needs to autofocus consistently, something Sigma's 18-35mm f1.8 and older 50mm f1.4 can't claim to do.

Bokeh looks clinical, not as soft as the old 50mm f1.4. But clean... Kind of want this lens.

The F stoppers review of the 50mm ART rates it as having a much higher keeper rate than the slow focusing 50mm F/1.2 Canon L and as having excellent focusing. Keep in mind this isn't a review from an amateur, the guys who made this claim shoot every single day. That's a very good indication.

The older 50mm f/1.4 was junk with focusing, I have the new 18-35mm though and have had zero problems with focusing

jdramirez said:
BUT the 50's are like night and day... which is why I am really curious about the art's bokeh. If it can be described as magic... then that negates ALL of the 50L's claim to fame.

The 50 Art actually used the 50L as a benchmark for bokeh, and in technical terms the Sigma has better bokeh than the 50L. The Sigma's circle of confusion, which is what defines bokeh is actually much creamier and less busy then the Canon, with fewer aberrations, softer edges and better texture. The Sigma is closer to what is considered ideal like what you get with the Canon 85mm f/1.2 L II. 50mm planar design lenses like the 50L are hard to tune for ideal bokeh so Canon actually had to compromise with their 50L lens on bokeh and the lens has several flaws, the 85L II is very forgiving design wise so you get much closer to the ideal, with no compromise, and a very soft circle of confusion.

I think that for most photographers who are trained on what looks "ideal" the Sigma definitely should be considered to best the Canon, they are both very similar to one another though.

There are a few schools of thought on bokeh though, some people don't like bokeh that is too creamy because it looks clinical. A lot of photographer want bokeh to have a hint of character and definition, while still being very creamy.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Radiating said:
The 50 Art actually used the 50L as a benchmark for bokeh, and in technical terms the Sigma has better bokeh than the 50L. The Sigma's circle of confusion, which is what defines bokeh is actually much creamier and less busy then the Canon, with fewer aberrations, softer edges and better texture. The Sigma is closer to what is considered ideal like what you get with the Canon 85mm f/1.2 L II. 50mm planar design lenses like the 50L are hard to tune for ideal bokeh so Canon actually had to compromise with their 50L lens on bokeh and the lens has several flaws, the 85L II is very forgiving design wise so you get much closer to the ideal, with no compromise, and a very soft circle of confusion.

I pray that this is true. I was thinking earlier today that I don't love my 24-105 that much... and maybe I'll get this as my lone lens for anything wider than 70mm... but that was just me thinking.

Upvote 0
I am considering pre-ordering the lens because I would like to take it with me on my upcoming vacation. That means I need to receive it on May 1 at the latest.

But what does "expected availability: April 29 2014" means?
1 - they will ship all orders on April 29
2 - they will start shipping on April 29 following the order of pre-orders
3 - we will all receive the lens on April 29

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
I jumped in line as well earlier this morning, but I'm still not sure I'll keep the pre-order or keep the lens once I get it. While the 50L has some issues, I still love the lens and don't know if this lens will be a big improvement for my uses of the 50 prime. I took another look at the imaging resource samples last night and while the bokeh looks nice, especially compared to many of the previous Sigmas, it's not as smooth as the 50 & 85L. Now that's being pretty picky and looking at it at 100% magnification, so I'm not sure that's relevant for prints, but the bokeh is one of the main reasons I love the 50L.

Edit: just found these samples on CNet and this one shows some LoCA. Definitely not APO like Otus, but still not horrendous.

Hmm well I guess it's not APO! :eek: ;D :'( :-\ :eek: :eek: :eek:

oh well. So it really can't take on the Otus from a pure optical standpoint. I guess that explains the radically lower price a bit. It appears to be a lot farther away from being APO than I had guessed it would be.

OTOH, sounds like it will be way sharper and have much better contrast near wide open than any 50mm other than Otus (where it sounds like it will be same ballpark, maybe a touch better in some ways, touch worse in others), but with the LoCA it ain't an Otus, oh well. It does have AF as well, which is actually kind nice to have at this focal length and it does cost rather a lot less than the Otus.

I wouldn't actually compare it to the Otus optically any more, one is a ground-breaking ultra-fast APO lens and one is not. However, compared to all the not Oti,it seems like one is a ground-breakingly sharp to the edges on FF and with strong contrast from f/1.4 design and the rest are not and it looks like the Sigma is the one to rule those all those others and with ease.

Anyway, ignoring the Otus, sounds like it will be all that and by a long shot. :D
Compared to the Otus I wouldn't say it matches up at all because of radically more LoCA and LaCA. But the Otus does lack AF, which is a big minus at this length and costs a ton more which is a pretty hideous minus for most. So the best 100% modern-day practical 50mm by a long shot.

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
mackguyver said:
More stuff:

CNet Review - love the lack of IS as a con ;D

Sample images (including full res) from Pop Photo

Pop Photo Review

are they getting misfocus at f/1.4? it looks a bit dreamy and soft like the canon 50 1.4 no?

CNET images are sharp, so I take it you're referring to popphoto? I do think that the shot of the tree was mis-focused, even stopped down it looks soft. But, did you check the other shots at full-res? Most 100% crops at f/1.4 (especially the first shot of the sunglasses) look way better than any Canon 50mm I've used. Anyway, I don't think popphoto set of images was "shot properly" for our scrutiny; a lot at ISO 1600 and unnecessarily overexposed.

I think if you look at samples from a wide variety of source, you'll see it's living up to the hype.

Upvote 0