Sigma Announces 85mm f1.4 Art, 12-24mm f/4 Art, 500mm f/4 OS Sport

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<em>Sigma Adds the 85mm F1.4 DG HSM Art, 12-24mm F4 DG HSM Art, and 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport Lenses to Its Global Vision Line</em></p>
<p><em>Outstanding optical performance, ultra-wide zoom range, and versatile flagship sports lens headline the Sigma line-up at Photokina 2016</em></p>
<p><strong>Cologne, Germany – September 19, 2016</strong> – Sigma Corporation of America, a leading camera, DSLR lens, flash and accessories manufacturer, unveiled its new 85mm F1.4 DG HSM Art, 12-24mm F4 DG HSM Art and 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport Global Vision lenses at the Photokina 2016 event (hall 4.2, stands B020, B028 and C029).</p>
<p>“We are thrilled to announce three state-of-the-art additions to the Global Vision line. The Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art has been a highly requested lens and we are very confident those customers who have been waiting for us to deliver this lens will be more than pleased with the superior optical performance and zero compromise,” states Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America. “In addition, the re-engineered 12-24mm F4 and highly competitive 500mm F4 Sport lens both embody the world-class performance our Global Vision lenses are known for. We look forward to seeing the incredible images our customers will create using these new Sigma lenses.”</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p><strong>Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG HSM Art – The Ultimate Portrait Lens</strong>

Delivering the ultimate in creative expression, the new Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art lens is engineered to support the highest resolution sensors on the market with an exceptional degree of sharpness. The high-performance optical system is purpose-built by Sigma R&D to produce the attractive bokeh effect sought after by discerning photographers. The lens’ advanced architecture features two SLD (special low dispersion) glass elements and one glass element with a high rate of anomalous partial dispersion and refraction. A re-engineered AF system brings 1.3X the torque of its predecessor, while other features such as a full-time manual focus override have been added, which can be controlled when the focus ring is rotated, even during continuous AF.</p>
<p>The Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG HSM Art lens supports Canon, Nikon and Sigma mounts. The Nikon mounts feature a brand new electromagnetic diaphragm.</p>
<p>The Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art lens will be available in late October and retails for a recommended street price of $1199.00 USD.</p>
<p><strong>Sigma 12-24mm F4 DG HSM Art Ultra-Wide Angle Zoom for the Era of Ultra-High Resolution Digital Cameras</strong>

Boasting the renowned Global Vision image quality from center to edge, the new Sigma 12-24mm F4 features the largest aspherical glass mold in the industry, offering photographers an ultra-wide angle zoom with virtually no distortion, flare or ghosting. Encompassing the long history of Sigma wide angle lens development expertise, the new 12-24mm F4 performance highlights include constant F4 brightness and the brand new Sigma AF system with 1.3X torque boost. The 12-24mm F4 features lens elements made with FLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass, which is equivalent to calcium fluorite in performance. Combined with an optimized power distribution, the result is outstanding image quality from center to edges. With a minimum focus distance of 9.4 inches at 24mm, photographers can compose incredible close-up shots with expansive backgrounds.</p>
<p>The all new Sigma 12-24mm F4 DG HSM Art lens supports Canon, Nikon and Sigma mounts. The Nikon mounts feature the brand new electromagnetic diaphragm.</p>
<p>The Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art lens will be available in late October and retails for a recommended street price of $1599.00 USD.</p>
<p><strong>Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport Lens – Pro Fast-Aperture Prime Super Telephoto</strong>

The flagship Sigma super telephoto 500mm F4 Sport lens incorporates the very latest in Sigma optical technology and innovation. Designed for the professional sports and wildlife shooter, the ultra-durable lens features magnesium alloy components, a carbon fiber hood, a water and oil resistant front element, and is dust and splash proof. The 500mm F4 features a drop-in rear filter slot for polarizers, UV and other critical filters. To help prevent damage during shooting and maintenance, the lens is also compatible with the exclusive SIGMA Protector LPT-11 (sold separately).</p>
<p>The lens incorporates two FLD and one SLD glass elements, while the optimized power distribution helps minimize spherical aberration and axial chromatic aberration. The optical system also effectively minimizes transverse chromatic aberration, which can affect the edges of the shots taken in the telephoto range. In addition, image quality remains exceptional when the lens is used with a Sigma Telephoto Converter (sold separately).</p>
<p>Other key performance features include Sigma’s two-mode Optical Stabilizer for enhanced performance when shooting handheld for still subjects or panning and tracking for moving subjects. There is also a customizable AF “return” function for setting the focus position of one’s choice and returning to that preset distance.</p>
<p>The all new Sigma 500mm F4 supports Canon, Nikon and Sigma mounts. The Nikon mounts feature the brand new electromagnetic diaphragm.</p>
<p>The Sigma 500mm F4 Sport lens, in Canon and Sigma mounts, will be available in late October. The Nikon mount will be available in late November. The 500mm F4 will retail for a recommended street price of $5999.00 USD.</p>
<p>All Sigma Global Vision lenses, including the new 85mm F1.4 DG HSM Art, 12-24mm F4 DG HSM Art, and 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Global Vision lenses, can be updated with the latest lens firmware from a workstation or laptop using the Sigma Optimization Pro software and Sigma USB Dock (sold separately).</p>
<p><strong>Tested for Optimum Performance</strong>

Sigma lenses are born of well thought-out design concepts, exceptional Japanese craftsmanship and manufacturing, and advanced lens performance testing and evaluation. To this end, Sigma has developed its own A1 proprietary MTF (modulation transfer function) measuring system using 46-megapixel Foveon direct image sensors. Even the most elusive high-frequency details are within the scope of Sigma’s quality control inspections. Every Global Vision lens is A1 tested, analyzed and approved before leaving the factory, ensuring maximum performance out of the box.</p>
<p>For more information on Sigma’s industry leading testing, please visit <a href="http://blog.sigmaphoto.com/2012/a1-mtf-testing-for-new-sigma-lenses/">http://blog.sigmaphoto.com/2012/a1-mtf-testing-for-new-sigma-lenses/</a>.</p>
<p><strong>About Sigma Corporation</strong>

Craftsmanship. Precision. Dedication. Since 1961, Sigma has been devoted the pursuit of advancing photographic technology. Unique to the industry, the family-owned business produces its high-quality, award-winning camera lenses, DSLR cameras, flashes, filters and accessories from its state-of-the-art manufacturing facility located in Aizu, Japan.</p>
<p>In 2012, the company introduced the Sigma Global Vision with three distinct lens lines: Art, Contemporary and Sport. Designed for industry camera mount systems including Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony and Sigma, each lens is handcrafted and tested in Japan to ensure a high-performance, premium product that is purpose-built to last.</p>
<p>Sigma continues its tradition of imaging excellence with the mirrorless sd Quattro, sd Quattro H and the compact dp Quattro camera line. Leveraging the ultra-high resolution Foveon sensor, the Sigma Quattro cameras are designed to produce the highest quality image with every shot.</p>
<p>For information about Sigma, please visit <a href="http://www.sigmaphoto.com">www.sigmaphoto.com</a> or follow the company on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.</p>
<p><strong>Preorder the new Sigma lenses:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Sigma 12-24mm f/4 Art $1599: <a href="https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1282159-REG/sigma_205955_12_24mm_f_4_dg_hsm.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296">B&H Photo</a> | Amazon | <a href="http://www.adorama.com/SG1224AEOS.html?KBID=64393">Adorama</a> | Midwest Photo</li>
<li>Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art $1299: <a href="https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1282165-REG/sigma_321955_85mm_f_1_4_dg_hsm.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296">B&H Photo</a> | Amazon | <a href="http://www.adorama.com/SG8514ACA.html?KBID=64393">Adorama</a> | Midwest Photo</li>
<li>Sigma 500mm f/4 OS Sport $5999: <a href="https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1282156-REG/sigma_185954_500mm_f_4_dg_os.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296">B&H Photo</a> | Amazon | <a href="http://www.adorama.com/SG5004CA.html?KBID=64393">Adorama</a> | Midwest Photo</li>
</ul>
<p> </p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

6k for the 500mm ... it's probably unreasonable, but I was hoping for less. Oh well, at least at this price I'm not tempted ::)

The other prices are more in line with what I was expecting, albeit a bit on the high side. Nevertheless, I will take a long hard look at that 12-24mm (and keep a curious eye on the reviews for the 85mm).

Upvote 0
I'd rather get a Tamron 15-30. Costs less, doesn't go as wide as the 12mm here. But it's f2.8. Plus is stabilized.

The 85mm is too big for 1.4. Prices are too high in my opinion. I'd rather go Canon at these prices.

Disappointed. Now I fear the 70-200 art will be priced around 1799$. Again I think maybe Canon is in for
The win since you get so much more, compatibility wise, resale and focus consistency.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
brianleighty said:
Ouch! I was hoping for $1000 to be the top end for the 85 1.4. Considering how much more they're asking then the previous version this had better be way better. If they don't nail the focus on this one then it's a pretty clear win for the Canon 85 1.2 in my books.

All of these lenses come with the USB docking feature, so wait and see if the AF can be fine tuned.

I think the fact that Sigma mention an AF motor with 1/3rd more torque than the last model shows that Sigma sometimes deliver lenses with inadequate AF motors. Which would explain some of the AF inconsistency reports.
I think it'll be a big seller in the Sony and Nikon users. I can't compete against a S/H 85mm F1.2 L II.

The problem Sigma has with a $6K 500mm f4 IS in Canon land...is that it's up against S/H Canon 500LIS mkI's, which are very top tier lenses and very well priced on the S/H market. I personally would NEVER trust Sigma with that kind of cash. I would run to a S/H Canon every time. Is this new Sigma as light as Canon's mk II?

The new 12-24 f4 art is an interesting lens. I think it's a lot cheaper than the Canon 11-24L and it could be an interesting alternative....the AF system isn't so critical with an ultra wide, the DOF helps a lot. I wonder why they didn't go the extra mm and take it out to 11mm? Of the three lenses, I think this is the one to watch out for.

Upvote 0
DLD said:
I'd rather get a Tamron 15-30. Costs less, doesn't go as wide as the 12mm here. But it's f2.8. Plus is stabilized.

The 85mm is too big for 1.4. Prices are too high in my opinion. I'd rather go Canon at these prices.

Disappointed. Now I fear the 70-200 art will be priced around 1799$. Again I think maybe Canon is in for
The win since you get so much more, compatibility wise, resale and focus consistency.

I subscribe you opinion! I think Sigma is playing high and they are trying to abandon the concept of "cheaper" lenses, to gain a position in the market as a quality alternative. I don´t think they´re going to reach this, unless....the 500 F4 is super well build, with super fast focus and amazing image quality. Yes, it´s what canon delivers with the 500mm. And yes, is also much more expensive (around 3000$)...But i don´t think that Sigma delivers something that can aproach to Canon´s image quality, Focus, and building quality.....We´ll have to wait and see...
For the other 2....i would also pick Tamron. The 15-30 F2.8 VC and the 85 F1.8 should be my choices. From 12 to 15 it´s not a real biggg difference!

GMCPhotographics said:
Ok, the new Sigma 500mm f4 is 3310g, against the Canon 500mm f4 LIS 3870g and the 500mm f4 LIS II 3190g. So in terms of weight, the new Sigma is competitive against both of the Canon versions.

However it´s not a big difference at all...I believe at the end of 5 hours could make a difference, but it´s not going to be that point that makes the difference when someone look to both lenses to buy...

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
dilbert said:
brianleighty said:
Ouch! I was hoping for $1000 to be the top end for the 85 1.4. Considering how much more they're asking then the previous version this had better be way better. If they don't nail the focus on this one then it's a pretty clear win for the Canon 85 1.2 in my books.

All of these lenses come with the USB docking feature, so wait and see if the AF can be fine tuned.

I owned a Sigma's 50A for a while, and the issue I had with it wasn't that it consistently front or back focussed, but that it wasn't consistent in putting the focus at the same point time after time when repeatedly trying to focus on a single subject. If they can can overcome *that* issue, then I think there would be a lot less complaining about their lenses.

Upvote 0
d said:
dilbert said:
brianleighty said:

I owned a Sigma's 50A for a while, and the issue I had with it wasn't that it consistently front or back focussed, but that it wasn't consistent in putting the focus at the same point time after time when repeatedly trying to focus on a single subject. If they can can overcome *that* issue, then I think there would be a lot less complaining about their lenses.

That's an indicator of the AF motor unable to stop the focus lens group in a consistent manner. IE...poor motor torque.

Upvote 0
Interesting focal lengths. I look forward to testing them. I don't see the official weight on the 85 ART, but from my experience with most of the other ART lenses and the physical dimensions I see I'm anticipating a weight north of 1000g. It looks like a pretty big lens.

The 12-24mm looks like a pretty lens, but a lot of people just don't have the tolerance for that bulbous front element. Great focal length, though.

Upvote 0
DLD said:

Resale of the 70-200 2.8 II is consistently in the 1500-1600 range. Tamron VC version is already up to that new but can be used for 900 still making used a good choice. Sigma would have a hard time pricing it's lenses vs. the canon version.... the gold standard!

Upvote 0
Go Wild said:
DLD said:

I subscribe you opinion! I think Sigma is playing high and they are trying to abandon the concept of "cheaper" lenses, to gain a position in the market as a quality alternative. I don´t think they´re going to reach this, unless....the 500 F4 is super well build, with super fast focus and amazing image quality. Yes, it´s what canon delivers with the 500mm. And yes, is also much more expensive (around 3000$)...But i don´t think that Sigma delivers something that can aproach to Canon´s image quality, Focus, and building quality.....We´ll have to wait and see...
For the other 2....i would also pick Tamron. The 15-30 F2.8 VC and the 85 F1.8 should be my choices. From 12 to 15 it´s not a real biggg difference!

12 degrees difference in angle of view could make a pretty big difference.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
I love my 85mm f/1.2 (at f/1.2 and even stopped down with a relatively slow auto focus on my 5d mkiii)... but it is just such a pain in the ass to use with a traditional viewfinder/lcd... with this lens... I might be willing to swap the canon for the sigma... might... probably not... it would have be overwhelmingly favorable in comparison...

Upvote 0