SIGMA Announces the 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art

CarlMillerPhoto said:
gobucks said:
I'm not sure who it's for. How often do you really need F2 at 24mm?

Think live event photogs and run & gun filmmakers. I film weddings, and it's a CONSTANT battle between needing the speed of a prime (think dark reception venue) and the convenience of a zoom to get the shot.

What convenience is there for only going from 24-35? That's not a one lens solution. You'll still need to change lenses or have a second body on hand. A 24-70 would require less lens changing or swapping. That's valuable time where you might miss the shot.

Upvote 0
My 2 cents on this.

I owned and liked the 35 Art very much. I then decided to get the 50. Wow, that's even better. When the 24 came I wanted that for starscapes and stuff. So I got the 24 but couldn't really justify having 24, 35 and 50, mainly because of 24 and 35 being so close to each other.

So I sold the 35. And I miss it.

Still, the combination 24/50 makes more sense in my camera bag, but I want the 35 back, somehow. As I can't use the 24 at f/1.4 anyway for starscapes because of coma in the corners, this 24-35/2 somehow comes in as the perfect compromise now. I lose f/1.4 but I (probably) save money compared to having 24 and 35 primes and I don't have to justify owning both primes.

I for one find this lens very interesting and will definitely give it a go when it comes and probably even consider buying it itf it's not too far away from the MSRP of 24 and 35. Of course if it's way over 1000€ I can get 24 and 35 used for almost the same price so that wouldn't make sense but let it be say 999€ MSRP which is more like 849€ street price, count me in.

Upvote 0
Xyclopx said:
i think the key difference here is that canon already has a full-frame zoom lens with better-than-prime performance in the 24-70 2.8 ii.

I agree that the real challenge Sigma will face is that this lens joins an already crowded field of competing zooms.

However, the argument I went against was that it would do poorly because of exiting high-end primes.

Upvote 0
Can't decide between 24mm and 35mm? Now you don't have to! Thanks Sigma, how would we have overcome this dilemma without your ingenuity?

But wait there's more! You also get 28mm as an added bonus, though not quite as prime quality as the other two, apparently!

I await the next Art zoom incarnation with such massive focal length range as this. Perhaps a 36-55 f/2? And then we will only ever need to carry two large lenses! Hooray!

End of sarcasm. :p

But seriously it is quite an impressive beast and they now have bragging rights. Tip o the hat to you Sigma!

Upvote 0
Ugh I'm so frustrated Sigma wanted to release this.
Right now I have the
CANON 24MM 1.4L (Version 1, lacks sharpness at 1.4, mostly use at F2 but still lacking for me somehow)
SIGMA 35MM 1.4L

I would get this lens so I wouldn't have to switch so much since I use 35 more and hate switching to 24 for a bit and then back to 35. Should I sell these lenses before this comes out? It's such a hassle to resell these lenses since there's so much in the used market.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Brea said:
Ugh I'm so frustrated Sigma wanted to release this.
Right now I have the
CANON 24MM 1.4L (Version 1, lacks sharpness at 1.4, mostly use at F2 but still lacking for me somehow)
SIGMA 35MM 1.4L

I would get this lens so I wouldn't have to switch so much since I use 35 more and hate switching to 24 for a bit and then back to 35. Should I sell these lenses before this comes out? It's such a hassle to resell these lenses since there's so much in the used market.

I was just weeks away from buying the 35 Art, so I'm happy this lens cane out. If you use the 35 more and the 24 so seldom, just keep them. This lens is more for someone who switches back and forth like myself. I use this range a lot at a wedding.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I know Sigma wanted a lens that was unique...but come on... 24-35 f2? WTH? I'm sure it has a wonderful optical performance, but what a bizarre focal range... I don't understand who this lens has wide appeal to. It's not really wide enough for serious landscapers. Astro maybe, but wouldn't astro people prefer the 24mm 1.4 prime?

I think Sigma should have put the effort into getting the 85mm ART and 24-70 ART out on the market instead. I'll be surprised if they sell a lot of these

Upvote 0