SIGMA to address their RF mount plans in early 2020 [CR2]

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Thank you, SecureGSM. I want to buy a fast 20mm with good coma control. I am sure Sigma will produce some unique, fast lenses (especially since Sigma is taking so long) but realistically, I doubt that an improved 20mm is likely.
Apparently, the new Sigma 85/1.4 Art DN (Sony E mount) is excellent. smaller, sharper then the old 85/1.4 art, creamy bokeh. with lenses as wide as 20mm on RF mount, there is still likely some room for Improvements... lets wait and see :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Sigma Livestream Announcement on August 6th (85mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens)

The design ideas, MTF charts, methodologies, process and materials used, presented by Kazuto Yamaki, CEO of SIGMA Corporation, Japan. not strictly relevant to RF mount but certainly is an indication of what we can expect from Sigma lenses specifically designed for the RF mount in a future.

Upvote 0

rightslot

Canon R5 ++
Aug 22, 2018
I'd love to see a sigma 135 1.8 in RF mount. I am tempted to pick up and adapt their EF mount 135, but I want native glass only moving forward.
3serious,

I certainly agree with your thoughts. I had the Sigma 135 Art for my Nikon Z7 and it was FAB! Now that that EQIP is gone (sold and waiting for R5 :-( ] I REALLY hope they will make a 135 for the R5 and hope it may be smaller. These lenses are getting TOO BIG.

YES, you cannot cheat physics, but we can engineer to be inherently smaller.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I think Canon spent a lot of effort to make it a patent minefield for anyone to produce RF lenses that can integrate with a R series camera. Its possible to make one mount and operate using EF compatibility but reports say that no one has achieved the RF protocols. That is why Canon is pushing the R series cameras, no competition for true RF lenses.

• Wow
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I hope to soon see the 105mm macro for RF. I like everything about the 70mm Art, except the fiddly manual focusing.

I'd like a full spread of proper 1:1 or better macro lenses: 200-ish mm, 100-ish mm, 50-ish mm.
  • The 180L is great for in the field with small butterflies, damselflies and other critters that like their personal space.
  • A 100mm is great for my backyard, but sometimes space is tight and I need a wider focal lenght.
  • The MP-E65mm is great for wider shots, but doesn't do further than 1:1. That is the main reason I bought an RP: to fit European paper wasps in the frame horizontally.
A 100mm f2.8 that can take the RF 2x extender would be great: cheaper than getting 2 lenses and 2:1 magnification at MFD with the extender!

Upvote 0
I think Canon spent a lot of effort to make it a patent minefield for anyone to produce RF lenses that can integrate with a R series camera. Its possible to make one mount and operate using EF compatibility but reports say that no one has achieved the RF protocols. That is why Canon is pushing the R series cameras, no competition for true RF lenses.

Thank you for that insight. For me, Canon needs to push the R's a little harder and provide a nice macro for me to buy in.

Upvote 0

Lucas Tingley

Canon EOS RP
Nov 27, 2020

Rokinon has their 85mm 1.4 for RF mount that everyone wants. You could test that.

Upvote 0

Lucas Tingley

Canon EOS RP
Nov 27, 2020
I sure hope Tamron just on the bandwagon too. They could really round out the the lens line up. Canon has great top of the line lenses but they are missing the midrange lenses.
I cannon afford anything above $1000 for a lense unless I really work for it. Canon PLEASE make some midrange lenses

Upvote 0