SIGMA to start producing RF mount lenses in 2021

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Every comparison I have seen suggest it's one of the worst modern 70-200's optically. Not nearly as good as the EF II or III when compared side by side. It's small, light and good enough but clearly compromises were made to obtain the small size and light weight.
Not sure which reviews you have read as most of the main one's doing direct comparisons say its a better lens, plus have experienced it yourself as my experience is it's a 1st class lens with great optics, especially when paired with the R5.

BirdDudeJosh

I'm New Here
Feb 6, 2020
Not sure which reviews you have read as most of the main one's doing direct comparisons say its a better lens, plus have experienced it yourself as my experience is it's a 1st class lens with great optics, especially when paired with the R5.
Christopher Frost and Dustin Abbot both clearly illustrate the weaknesses of the RF 70-200 f2.8. I am making the assumption that the reduced size, weight and are a factor in its poor performance but it certainly doesn't live up to the price tag or the expectation.
Specifically its corners suck wide open at all focal lengths and vignette and distortion middle of the road and certainly not "1st class".

Reactions: Lucas Tingley

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Christopher Frost and Dustin Abbot both clearly illustrate the weaknesses of the RF 70-200 f2.8. I am making the assumption that the reduced size, weight and are a factor in its poor performance but it certainly doesn't live up to the price tag or the expectation.
Specifically its corners suck wide open at all focal lengths and vignette and distortion middle of the road and certainly not "1st class".
Well each to their own as they say. I've had no issues at all but then if you pixel peep and push it to extremes, any lens will struggle.

Johnw

EOS R5, Ra
Oct 10, 2020
I'm intrigued what people use the control ring for. I have a mix of EF and RF lenses now and haven't used the control ring as the R5 has 3 ring/dials + joystick already.
I use it for aperture since I have a couple of manual aperture lenses as well, so that way I always know aperture is a lens ring.