Smallest Flash...

Jul 21, 2010
You mention swivel, not sure if you mean bounce (head points up to bounce light off the ceiling) or rotation (head turns to the side, which would let you bounce off the wall or if in portrait mode off the ceiling).

The 90EX has a fixed head. No rotation or bounce capability, no head zoom (fixed at 24mm coverage). Pretty sure it’s discontinued, may be available, likely used. The key feature provided by the 90EX is that it’s an optical master. It was bundled with early M-series bodies (the M and M2 had no popup flash).

The 270EX II has bounce (manual to 60°, 75° or 90°) and zoom (28 mm, manual pull out to 50mm). No rotation. I have this one, it is my travel flash for the M kit and I’ll be bringing it on my upcoming trip with the R8. Pretty sure it’s also discontinued, may be available, likely used.

The EL-100 is current, Canon’s entry level flash. It has bounce (up to 90°), rotation (up to 180°) and zoom (24mm and 50mm). If I had to buy a new travel flash today, I’d get this one.

Compared to the EL-100, the 270EX II is smaller (about 2.5 cm / 1” shorter), and lighter. Power is basically the same, but the 270 supports HSS, the EL-100 doesn’t.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
You mention swivel, not sure if you mean bounce (head points up to bounce light off the ceiling) or rotation (head turns to the side, which would let you bounce off the wall or if in portrait mode off the ceiling).

The 90EX has a fixed head. No rotation or bounce capability, no head zoom (fixed at 24mm coverage). Pretty sure it’s discontinued, may be available, likely used. The key feature provided by the 90EX is that it’s an optical master. It was bundled with early M-series bodies (the M and M2 had no popup flash).

The 270EX II has bounce (manual to 60°, 75° or 90°) and zoom (28 mm, manual pull out to 50mm). No rotation. I have this one, it is my travel flash for the M kit and I’ll be bringing it on my upcoming trip with the R8. Pretty sure it’s also discontinued, may be available, likely used.

The EL-100 is current, Canon’s entry level flash. It has bounce (up to 90°), rotation (up to 180°) and zoom (24mm and 50mm). If I had to buy a new travel flash today, I’d get this one.

Compared to the EL-100, the 270EX II is smaller (about 2.5 cm / 1” shorter), and lighter. Power is basically the same, but the 270 supports HSS, the EL-100 doesn’t.
Thank you SIR

Upvote 0

Actually the EL-100 does support HSS per Canon's manual. The AF Assist Beam DOES NOT work when the speedlite is set to Optical Master.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Actually the EL-100 does support HSS per Canon's manual. The AF Assist Beam DOES NOT work when the speedlite is set to Optical Master.
Thanks for the correction! I was looking at a comparison table somewhere, B&H maybe.

The EL-100 looks like a nice little flash, but as long as my 270EX II works I’ll stick with that for a travel flash (unless I need to use the adapter, so far that only applies to the R50).

I have an EL-5 on preorder, a want not a need (I have four 600EX-RTs that are working fine).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the correction! I was looking at a comparison table somewhere, B&H maybe.

The EL-100 looks like a nice little flash, but as long as my 270EX II works I’ll stick with that for a travel flash (unless I need to use the adapter, so far that only applies to the R50).

I have an EL-5 on preorder, a want not a need (I have four 600EX-RTs that are working fine).
The only travel speedlite I've used was my friend's mom old 220EX from 1996. Since its quite old It doesn't support the speedlite control menu. Only rear curtain sync & exposure compensation can be set from the camera menu. But it only supports direct flash only no bounce flash. For its age it recharges faster than the original 270EX. The 430EX III-RT is also more compact compared to the 550EX, 580EX series, 600EX series & EL-1.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Could you give a link, Please?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Thxxxx

Upvote 0