SmallRig LP-E6NH $31.99 (Reg $39.99)

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
OK, I finally got around to doing that R5 battery test I suggested, where I'd see how low a charge these SmallRig batteries can go before they start to go from the "green H+" level of frames per second (12 fps) to the "white H+" (9 fps).

You all may recall that Canon batteries typically go to the lower fps only after they've been run down to 60 percent full. The other third parties were able to keep the 12 fps for only until they got below between 70 and 80 percent. If you really want to dive into all that trivia, you can read the article on batteries from three years ago...

These SmallRig ones, again, proved to be just like the Canon Batteries, making it to somewhere between 60 and 50 percent charged before going down to 9 fps. The imprecision there was because I let them go down too long before I tried them again.

I've only tested two in this fashion. Now have four to try out, so I'll add to this if I see anything different from the others.

The upshot: I think these batteries are slightly better than Canon's OEM ones. Add the USB port and the fact they cost half as much, these are the ones I'll buy next.
Thanks for the tests. How long do they last relative to Canon's? In the UK, they are 1/3rd the price.

Upvote 0