So ready for a move up from 450D - But how big? 5DMIII / 6D or ..? Edit: DONE !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: So ready for a move up from 450D - But how big? To 5DMIII / 6D or ...?

THANK YOU !!

I am overwhelmed by the excellent feedback / replies, that you have posted. So well-informed, detailed, pesonal and experience-based.

Yes, basically I said that I wanted it all in one package. Still I know that compromises have to be made. Here your thoughts are very helpful. Not saying that it all sums up to one definite way to go (and I did not expect that either).

I read quite a number of very happy 6D stories.
And not surprising many 5DmkIII users': 'Go for it'.
Even some crop-supporters (7D or wait and see what new crop-body and sensor may bring).

And you have contributed a number of additional considerations, relating directly to my situation. I find that very helpful.

And in the end I still have to make up my own mind - one of the more pleasant challenges :)

In reply to some of your points let me add a few extra facts:
- I can find the budget for the 5DmkIII, if I am convinced that it is the right choice
- I know that I will need to replace the EF-S 10-22 for WA (and sell the 15-85 too)
- Actually I do have an old 1.4 TC and an old well-worn 16-35 2.8 (in preparation for the move in each end of the range). Those could help me - at least for a period.
- I have and regularly use a good tripod, and an older flash (a 420EX)
- I do work in RAW for most important motives (sometimes in DPP but mostly in ACR in Elements)
- Plan to move to LightRoom soon

I hope to make the move soon - and still appreciate additional replies.
I will let you know how I decided - and how it goes.

Thank you again.

Upvote 0

I just moved from a 450D to a 5D MK III... all i can say is that i have not looked back... EVERYTHING is better... I went for the 5D over the 6D mainly because of the AF and i prefered the feel of it in my hand... pick them both up, and try them... rent them both for a weekend, see which one does it for you... :) either way, the IQ is exponentially better! Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Nearly all aspects have been spoken of in the above comments.
So I only add one...

I moved up from the 40D to the formidable (used) 5D(mkI), then to the 5Dmk3.
Although I thought the colors couldn't be better dan the mkI, I am really surprised of the deepness and the fineness of the color spectrum of the mk3. It's really amazing.

Would never go back, the 5Dmk3 is such a great camera.
Will the 6D have that incredible color spectrum, too? I'm not sure...

Succes choosing your dream camera!

Upvote 0

Thank you for the newest input.
Now planning next step: Visit a good Photo-shop (brick and mortar) tomorrow and get a talk and a try.

In the meantime I will post a few of my various photos here.

Attachments

• IMG_7614 v2 b1200.jpg
    IMG_7614 v2 b1200.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_3717 CRV1 b1200.jpg
    IMG_3717 CRV1 b1200.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 856
  • IMG_1147 m 1245 v1 h900.jpg
    IMG_1147 m 1245 v1 h900.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_0907 v3 b1200x.jpg
    IMG_0907 v3 b1200x.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 859
Upvote 0
Re: I went from 350D to 6D. Very happy.

DKS said:
I recently moved from a 350D to a 6D. I felt the 5DMkIII was just too bulky. I only have the 24-105/4 and 50/1.4 but am supremely happy with the 6D. The IQ is stunning and while the 5DMkIII AF is obviously better, I don't consider it to be worth the extra grand, which I am putting towards a 70-200/2.8.

Would you be happy with a 5DMkII if the MkIII were not out? In essence the 6D is the new 5DMkII in a smaller body with GPS & WiFi.

If you had a 5DMkII would you upgrade to a MkIII? Personally I wouldn't, which to my logic means the difference between the 6D and 5DMkIII is not sufficient enough.

DKS.

"Why do I fly? I fly to release my mind from the tyranny of petty things."
Antoine De Saint-Exupery.

I don't think that's the only way of seeing things. I was torn between 5DIII and 6D when I wanted to upgrade from my 550D (I had 450D previously).

I chose 5DIII because of the things i do with my equipment (panning motorcycles). If you don't need the FPS or AF then 6D is good enough.

Therefore your comment "If you had a 5DMkII would you upgrade to a MkIII? Personally I wouldn't, which to my logic means the difference between the 6D and 5DMkIII is not sufficient enough." is not valid.

Upvote 0

Hi buddy, I have a 500D body and similar lenses line-up as yours plus a few cheap primes. They're still doing everything just fine. (40+ shots explored on flickr and a few sales on Getty Images). Personally I wouldn't upgrade any time soon. Hold on to your money or invest in something else (like setting up a home studio or a trip to an exotic photo location overseas). Just my two cents...

Upvote 0

fear_through_the_eyes said:
Hi buddy, I have a 500D body and similar lenses line-up as yours plus a few cheap primes. They're still doing everything just fine. (40+ shots explored on flickr and a few sales on Getty Images). Personally I wouldn't upgrade any time soon. Hold on to your money or invest in something else (like setting up a home studio or a trip to an exotic photo location overseas). Just my two cents...

+1 There are many other things you can invest in, unless you're making money with photography then you can justify making big purchases. ;) If you're seriously loaded with cash, no one can stop you but then again you probably wouldn't be asking either o_O Personally, if I had all the money in the world I still wouldn't mind keeping a 450D, because then I'd just hire a professional chap with a 1DX to shoot photos for me instead while I enjoy not holding anything, LOL. Anyways, the point is, like fear says, always put the quality of your life before your gear.

Upvote 0
Re: So ready for a move up from 450D - But how big? 5DMIII / 6D or ...? DONE !!

You will not regret.

I've made the jump from a XTi to the 6D, and shot after shot I'm amazed at how the camera manages to get the shots in perfect focus (of course, I'm not including here action shots - never tried it). Even the outer AF points nail it perfectly, and if they cannot lock (too dark), the center point will for sure.

And I'll not even start talking about the image quality (my XTi had a bad ISO 1600), DOF possibilities (the 24-105 f4 beats my old EF-S 17-55 f2.8 in this aspect), features, build quality, etc.

I've been waiting for a 70D / 7DII for too long, and even if they are released now with better AF, I don't think I would be able to go back to APS-C now that I've been spoiled with FF.

Upvote 0
Hello again.
I am having a great time. Very happy with the new 6D sofar.

I add two samples.
In no way photo-art. But they both show me lots of promises on what this camera can do.
It resolves and renders delicately (swan's feathers / water surface)
And it does a good job regarding focus (I tried a bit of BIF, which is not my regular domain).

Much more playing / testing / gaining experience to be done - love it.

Attachments

• IMG_0197 v1 h1080.jpg
    IMG_0197 v1 h1080.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0102 v1 h1080.jpg
    IMG_0102 v1 h1080.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 402
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.