So when is the Canon EOS R3 coming?

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
If it's in the low $5k range, it would be extremely tempting to trade in the R5+grip, assuming the resolution is 30MP or more. I would also try to find a lightly used RP to go with it.

But I don't think the R3 will that 'cheap', so my R5 will be with me for another 5 years or so :)
Likewise but I hope pricing doesn't exceed $6k, a ceiling of which may cause me to opt out, at least as an early adopter. I find it interesting that there is very little chatter about whether the R3 has solved the R5/6 overheating dilemma, especially given the anticipated higher frame rates, as we continue to await the official release announcement.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Likewise but I hope pricing doesn't exceed $6k, a ceiling of which may cause me to opt out, at least as an early adopter. I find it interesting that there is very little chatter about whether the R3 has solved the R5/6 overheating dilemma, especially given the anticipated higher frame rates, as we continue to await the official release announcement.
Can't imagine the R3 overheating. Canon must have spent a lot of time and money to make sure it doesn't given all the criticism it received over the R5.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Considering the R3 has had over a year longer development than the R5 and the resolution is certainly much lower, plus the sensitivity Canon have to bad press and the prospect of repeating that, I’d rate the chances of the R3 overheating at zero.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What is the R3.....a half inch on each side smaller than the 1D series?
But volume wise that makes a decent difference. I know there are a lot of camera bags 1 series cameras just don't quite fit in, that little bit of bulk saving whilst maintaining the general feel is something I am very interested in.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Can't imagine the R3 overheating. Canon must have spent a lot of time and money to make sure it doesn't given all the criticism it received over the R5.
Let us then hope that Canon is applying your logic to its release. Hope to soon see all the specs and then we'll finally know the feature set, as well as limitations, if any.

Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
How can be the camera be at the Olympics - which starts in 3 weeks - but not officially announced?
I don't get why so many people seem to think the camera will debut at the Tokyo Olympics. Any Olympic Games is the top of the tree for sports photographers so what professional in their right mind would foolhardedly risk going to what is probably the most important assignment of their career armed with a camera they've only played with for a hatful of minutes. It'd be like a Formula1 driver racing a new car they've only driven from the carpark. It's feasible the R3 may make cameo appearances at the Olympics but whoever is holding it will certainly have it flanked with an EOS 1dx MkIII or something similar that they've used so often it's second nature to them. In any case, as good as it looks, it'll be prohibitively expensive here in Australia (I'd have to sell my pet koalas - no they are not bears, they are marsupials) and a kidney just to buy the battery. As a photographer, not a videographer, I couldn't give a rats fat clack if it couldn't record video better than "VHS quality" (yes, I see the irony of that term). All I need is a stills camera that can fire off at least 10 frames/sec and shoot in low light with minimal noise at ISO up around 12,000+ so I can shoot night time field sports and not have the battery conk out after a few hours use. Throughout today, I had my 90D out and fired off just over 8,000 photos and the 2 batteries in the grip are still over 50%. By the way, why is the R6 / R5 grip such an outrageous price?

Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
But volume wise that makes a decent difference. I know there are a lot of camera bags 1 series cameras just don't quite fit in, that little bit of bulk saving whilst maintaining the general feel is something I am very interested in.
I've noted in much of the discussion about comparing the size of the R3 to a 1dx MkIII that people seem to overlook that the 1dx has a mirror mounted at 45° and a pentaprism with a LCD and LED display around the edge and a second mirror for the focusing sensor plus all the motor driven mechanism assembly to flip the mirrors out of the way of the shutter path so an image can be captured then pushing it all back in place to permit visibility through the viewfinder then repeat the operation at crazy fast speeds. The R3 has none of that indeed no mirrorless camera does, so it makes sense the bodies can be thinner and overall smaller, even though personally I prefer a chunky grip on SLR's. I find it mindboggling what is going on at a mechanical level inside a 1dx when it is screaming along at 16 fps.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I've noted in much of the discussion about comparing the size of the R3 to a 1dx MkIII that people seem to overlook that the 1dx has a mirror mounted at 45° and a pentaprism with a LCD and LED display around the edge and a second mirror for the focusing sensor plus all the motor driven mechanism assembly to flip the mirrors out of the way of the shutter path so an image can be captured then pushing it all back in place to permit visibility through the viewfinder then repeat the operation at crazy fast speeds. The R3 has none of that indeed no mirrorless camera does, so it makes sense the bodies can be thinner and overall smaller, even though personally I prefer a chunky grip on SLR's. I find it mindboggling what is going on at a mechanical level inside a 1dx when it is screaming along at 16 fps.
I certainly don’t overlook the mechanical aspects of the 1 series that are eliminated from a mirrorless design.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Considering the R3 has had over a year longer development than the R5 and the resolution is certainly much lower, plus the sensitivity Canon have to bad press and the prospect of repeating that, I’d rate the chances of the R3 overheating at zero.
−273.15 °C?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I don't get why so many people seem to think the camera will debut at the Tokyo Olympics. Any Olympic Games is the top of the tree for sports photographers so what professional in their right mind would foolhardedly risk going to what is probably the most important assignment of their career armed with a camera they've only played with for a hatful of minutes. It'd be like a Formula1 driver racing a new car they've only driven from the carpark. It's feasible the R3 may make cameo appearances at the Olympics but whoever is holding it will certainly have it flanked with an EOS 1dx MkIII or something similar that they've used so often it's second nature to them. In any case, as good as it looks, it'll be prohibitively expensive here in Australia (I'd have to sell my pet koalas - no they are not bears, they are marsupials) and a kidney just to buy the battery. As a photographer, not a videographer, I couldn't give a rats fat clack if it couldn't record video better than "VHS quality" (yes, I see the irony of that term). All I need is a stills camera that can fire off at least 10 frames/sec and shoot in low light with minimal noise at ISO up around 12,000+ so I can shoot night time field sports and not have the battery conk out after a few hours use. Throughout today, I had my 90D out and fired off just over 8,000 photos and the 2 batteries in the grip are still over 50%. By the way, why is the R6 / R5 grip such an outrageous price?
If we pair up your koala and My Tassie devils we could sell them as a package deal at a higher price.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I'm late with this, but I'm curious now that we know that the release date rumor was false if @Canon Rumors Guy is confident of the listed specs.
Some of the listed specs have already been mentioned by Canon by the two previous development announcements. Other specifications, such as sensor resolution, are still rumored specifications. With regards to sensor resolution there was a CR1 posting that the R3's resolution was ~30 MP, but we will not know the official specifications until an official announcement.

My guess is that we have another announcement (either development or full) around the Olympics and pre-orders in late August with delivery in late Sept - early October time frame.

Upvote 0

dave7

CR Pro
Aug 21, 2016
Doesn't Canon have photographers they sponsor and work with? I'd assume at least some of them might be under contract to use the R3.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I suppose their R3 roadmap is also connected to the availability of their new super-telephoto lenses in market and sufficient stocked.
Here in central europe, some big shops expect mid/end of august for the first 400/600 lenses.

Otherwise, we have a big lag of stocked RF lenses for the common target group of a R3.

Until that is not fixed, Canon will not push the R3 in the market, I think.

It's not the big whites, it's the lack of availability of almost all "L" series RF lenses. I expect that more R3 buyers will be wanting the 100-500 RF than the relatively few who can afford and want the 400 or 600 (which even Canon says are really just the same as the EF versions with RF mounts stuck on the ends). Here in the US, virtually all "L" series lenses in the RF mount are out of stock, even the basic 24-105 f4, the 24-70 f2.8, the 70-200 f2.8 and the bargain 800mm f11 -- all lenses that would be prime candidates for R3 buyers. I would not be surprised if Canon wants to get the supply issues resolved with their RF lenses before releasing the R3.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It's not the big whites, it's the lack of availability of almost all "L" series RF lenses. I expect that more R3 buyers will be wanting the 100-500 RF than the relatively few who can afford and want the 400 or 600 (which even Canon says are really just the same as the EF versions with RF mounts stuck on the ends). Here in the US, virtually all "L" series lenses in the RF mount are out of stock, even the basic 24-105 f4, the 24-70 f2.8, the 70-200 f2.8 and the bargain 800mm f11 -- all lenses that would be prime candidates for R3 buyers. I would not be surprised if Canon wants to get the supply issues resolved with their RF lenses before releasing the R3.
That makes sense. Personally, I want RF-mount 100-500, 24/28-70, and possibly a 70-200/2.8. Since I have an EOS R, I’m going to order at least the 100-500(and extenders) before the R3. I have the EF 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses to adapt.

Upvote 0

emailfortom

Full time sports shooter
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2014
East Coast US
That makes sense. Personally, I want RF-mount 100-500, 24/28-70, and possibly a 70-200/2.8. Since I have an EOS R, I’m going to order at least the 100-500(and extenders) before the R3. I have the EF 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses to adapt.
Might also be a good idea to purchase a couple of the batteries & memory cards. I did.

Upvote 0