Sony A99 Rumored Specs "Leak"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engadget just posted this about the A99.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/28/sony-a99-rumored-specs-leak/

What are your thoughts?

24.3-megapixel CMOS Exmor sensor with an ISO range of 100-25,600, 14 bit RAW output and a 1/8000 maximum shutter speed. Other nuggets of interest include a 102 point AF system, full 1080p HD video recording (at 60fps) and a 921k dot LCD.

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
How much is too much?

PhotoRumors guy is reporting the next Sony a99 will have 102 autofocus points. This got me thinking – are we getting into overkill here?

Granted, it's not even been released yet, so there is no way to know just how good or bad the autofocus will be. But, I have to wonder if we are getting to the point of diminishing returns here. Are 102 autofocus points better than 61 points?

Is this the next form of megapixel wars? "Your 1DX has a mere 61 autofocus points while we have 102."

Realistically, how many autofocus points can be crammed into the space and do they, at some point, begin to make the focusing worse, not better.

Just something I'd like to hear opinions on from those who understand this sort of thing more than I do.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Re: How much is too much?

I remember my OM-1 which had an unlimited supply of AF points determined by my brain. ::)

I remember my minolta Maxxum AF 8000 which had the luxury of 1 AF point. Which was amazing!

Now my 5D3 has 61 points, 41 of which are crosstype and 5 which are double crosstype points. Amazing!

All these cameras were awesome in their time, and met the standard for pro's worldwide. Anything else is just fluff.

Upvote 0
For those who haven't hit the link, it's damn exciting stuff!

"Sony's not unleashed a full frame camera for some time." Looks like they're unleashing one soon -- now we'll know who let the dogs out!

The "purported spec sheet breaks cover" and they elbow their way to the front to see it. The battle of the pudgy nerds ensues! Also, there are "other nuggets of interest." And I don't think they're talking about McDonalds (But maybe they are -- all warriors need nourishment at some point. That elbow flinging can be quite a workout.)

The drama only subsides when "the rumor-mill" kicks in to provide a trite ending to an otherwise thrill-packed adventure in Futureland.

Stay tuned, kids!

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Re: How much is too much?

unfocused said:
PhotoRumors guy is reporting the next Sony a99 will have 102 autofocus points. This got me thinking – are we getting into overkill here?

Is this the next form of megapixel wars? "Your 1DX has a mere 61 autofocus points while we have 102."
Yes, and mostly because of how Sony did it. Only 11 of those AF points are cross-point, so, by that measure, its really on par with the 60D/T4i AF for cross-points. So, chances are the 102 is more just for the number than for practicality. But, if we start getting AF systems even more complex than the 5dIII/1DX, they could genuinely be 100+ pt AF with 90 cross-points and be better.

Roger at Lensrental had a cool break-down of why the new Canon AF is so good with the newest lenses. The lessons from the end seem to indicate that you could go further. But, in reality, it's gonna take decades to revamp all the lenses and all the camera AF systems.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/autofocus-reality-part-3b-canon-cameras

Upvote 0
I don't get why everyone is being so negative about this rumour. If it's true then Sony are making a strong return to the full frame fold; should they see fit to release some new Zeiss AF glass to go with it, then they will be a serious choice for prosumers and professionals. This can only be a good thing for all of us, the Canikon duopoly of the high end is doing nothing but inflating prices.

Upvote 0
traveller said:
I don't get why everyone is being so negative about this rumour. If it's true then Sony are making a strong return to the full frame fold; should they see fit to release some new Zeiss AF glass to go with it, then they will be a serious choice for prosumers and professionals. This can only be a good thing for all of us, the Canikon duopoly of the high end is doing nothing but inflating prices.

I totally agree. I'd be even more happy if they could release some good quality telephoto with half the price of Canikons.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
So....the entile screen is filled with dotssssssssssssssssssssssss ;D

or they can do what Nikon does and make then translucent so they don't get in the way. It is only a matter of time before the entire viewfinder is covered. Canon's lead with the 61pt was never meant to last long. 100-200 AF sensors are going to be the norm from all OEMs in the next gen bodies.

Upvote 0
dr croubie said:
Now, all Sony needs is to make some lenses worth having*, then this might be a decent system

(*zeiss 135/1.8 and 135/4.5 STF excluded, they don't have any other nice canikontax equivalents, yet)
Ditto even if sigma made Sony mount it would give it some respectable glass options but as it is it's not gonna compete with canon and nikon

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
For those who haven't hit the link, it's damn exciting stuff!

"Sony's not unleashed a full frame camera for some time." Looks like they're unleashing one soon -- now we'll know who let the dogs out!

The "purported spec sheet breaks cover" and they elbow their way to the front to see it. The battle of the pudgy nerds ensues! Also, there are "other nuggets of interest." And I don't think they're talking about McDonalds (But maybe they are -- all warriors need nourishment at some point. That elbow flinging can be quite a workout.)

The drama only subsides when "the rumor-mill" kicks in to provide a trite ending to an otherwise thrill-packed adventure in Futureland.

Stay tuned, kids!

Did you really just call McDonalds "nourishment "? Hahaha!

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
distant.star said:
"unleashed"? ... the last FF from Sony I remember was the A900 or 850?, which sank a without a trace.
Sony makes the sensor for Nikon D800 and if Sony is going to use the same sensor in their full frame wouldn't that hurt Nikon sales? ... but Sony won't be able to compete with the lens options of Nikon or Canon.

Upvote 0
An image of the new camera which is now due to be released 12 September I think (that might be the unveiling).

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-first-sony-a99-image-leak-via-xitek/

Sounds like an interesting camera but I personally do not like the lack of a view finder.

What really caught my attention on that page is this:

"I can confirm that there is also a new unexpected professional NEX camera coming too! I am working on that rumor but it looks like only few people on the world have access to the info. It’s the best kept Sony secret ever. I have been told this is a “Game Changer camera”."

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
expatinasia said:
"I can confirm that there is also a new unexpected professional NEX camera coming too! I am working on that rumor but it looks like only few people on the world have access to the info. It’s the best kept Sony secret ever. I have been told this is a “Game Changer camera”."

Please please please be referring to a mirrorless FF.
I wouldn't buy one, but it should spur on Canon to make one...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.