Sony RX100 MIII

Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Dylan777 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Sweet. 24mm on the wide end, 70mm f/2.8 (ok, f/7.6 equivalent), and only slightly larger than the MkII. I think I might just have to get one...

Be careful Neuro, you might end up with A7r... ;D

If Neuro gets an A7r and jumps on the DR bandwagon I'll eat my hat.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
I took a look at the RX100 models because I wanted something smaller for my upcoming vacation. I talked to Chris at The Camera Store (the guy who does these videos that are posted in this thread) and he didn't have much bad to say!

In the end the A6000 won me over with its autofocus and burst rate. It's just so entertaining to shoot!

The RX100 models are still fantastic and I'm now a bit bummed because I know I'll cave eventually and end up getting one too. :(

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
R1-7D said:
I took a look at the RX100 models because I wanted something smaller for my upcoming vacation. I talked to Chris at The Camera Store (the guy who does these videos that are posted in this thread) and he didn't have much bad to say!

In the end the A6000 won me over with its autofocus and burst rate. It's just so entertaining to shoot!

The RX100 models are still fantastic and I'm now a bit bummed because I know I'll cave eventually and end up getting one too. :(

It sounds interesting, and I'm waiting to see one, but I really do not think that its the best vacation camera, the focal length is too limiting. With the fast lens, it would be fine indoors at close range, but not all vacation photos can be shot from up close. The wide end is excellent for a small camera, so that would be useful for landscapes and group photos.
Even the conventional portrait focal lengths are missing. Its really limited itself to a specialized niche.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Mt Spokane Photography said:
R1-7D said:

It sounds interesting, and I'm waiting to see one, but I really do not think that its the best vacation camera, the focal length is too limiting. With the fast lens, it would be fine indoors at close range, but not all vacation photos can be shot from up close. The wide end is excellent for a small camera, so that would be useful for landscapes and group photos.
Even the conventional portrait focal lengths are missing. Its really limited itself to a specialized niche.

You mean like the kit lens on the typical consumer DSLR niche?

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
R1-7D said:
Dylan777 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Sweet. 24mm on the wide end, 70mm f/2.8 (ok, f/7.6 equivalent), and only slightly larger than the MkII. I think I might just have to get one...

Be careful Neuro, you might end up with A7r... ;D

If Neuro gets an A7r and jumps on the DR bandwagon I'll eat my hat.

Be careful when you say such a thing..... ;D

I

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
Tugela said:
R1-7D said:

Exactly, but the Consumer lens on as DSLR its a starter lens, and you can get the body only, or buy additional lenses.

With a point and shoot, you are stuck with the one lens, so a buyer needs to make sure that the lens has the right focal lengths for his usage. The lens on the RX 100 III is not a low end lens, it's a very good one, just be sure that its what you need.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Tugela said:
R1-7D said:

Exactly, but the Consumer lens on as DSLR its a starter lens, and you can get the body only, or buy additional lenses.

With a point and shoot, you are stuck with the one lens, so a buyer needs to make sure that the lens has the right focal lengths for his usage. The lens on the RX 100 III is not a low end lens, it's a very good one, just be sure that its what you need.

The average buyer of a consumer DSLR probably only gets the kit lens.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
Chisox2335 said:
I have a RX100 MI. I use it primarily for underwater photography. I prefer the size and being able to use the LCD screen while diving. It has advantages and disadvantages vs an DSLR. I have considered putting my 70D in a housing but have decided I don't use it enough to make it worth doing.

It is a great little camera to throw in your pocket and carry around if you want something small. Its barely bigger than a big wallet. Picture quality is excellent even at large size. I blew up a picture of a shark to 24x30 and it looks great.

Thanks for your feedback, Chisox2335.

I know the RX100 II is slightly larger than the I, and the III maybe be again but what housing are you using for the underwater photography with your I?

I am not happy taking my 1D X underwater as it is too valuable to me above ground, but it would be great to have something as small as the RX100 III to carry around and also be able to use as an underwater camera as well.

Are you tempted to upgrade to the III now you have seen the likely specs? There are some definite advantages.

My apologies I forgot I had posted. I use a nauticam aluminum housing. There are certainly advantages to the mkiii but since I only get max 1 week and a couple Sundays a year in to photograph underwater I can't justify an upgrade. I get so much more use out of my land cameras that I'd rather spend the money there right now.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
Tugela said:
Tugela said:
R1-7D said:

So what is your point? The average buyer of a low end camera probably uses a cell phone.

The RX100 is a enthusiast camera and not many will buy one. That's why Canon and Now Nikon are concentrating on large cameras, buyers in the USA and Europe want big if they are going to pay $800. That's just a economic fact, nothing to do with image quality or usefulness. The more knowledgeable enthusiasts are the main ones to consider a $800 small camera.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Tugela said:
Tugela said:
R1-7D said:

So what is your point? The average buyer of a low end camera probably uses a cell phone.

The RX100 is a enthusiast camera and not many will buy one. That's why Canon and Now Nikon are concentrating on large cameras, buyers in the USA and Europe want big if they are going to pay $800. That's just a economic fact, nothing to do with image quality or usefulness. The more knowledgeable enthusiasts are the main ones to consider a $800 small camera.

I am referring to the people who buy Rebels, not cellphones, which is about the same price point for a new release. I know that at the moment Rebels are cheaper than that, but they are due for an update. On first release a Tni body with the standard kit lens costs about $100-200 more than the RX100.

Most folk who buy those cameras only use the 18-55mm zoom that comes with the kit, they don't buy additional lenses. The camera is perfectly functional with that lens for most purposes, which is the standard you would use for a compact travel camera.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
Tugela said:
I am referring to the people who buy Rebels, not cellphones, which is about the same price point for a new release. I know that at the moment Rebels are cheaper than that, but they are due for an update. On first release a Tni body with the standard kit lens costs about $100-200 more than the RX100.

Most folk who buy those cameras only use the 18-55mm zoom that comes with the kit, they don't buy additional lenses. The camera is perfectly functional with that lens for most purposes, which is the standard you would use for a compact travel camera.

Its a matter of opinion, the 24-70mm FF equivalent lens on the Sony is closer to a 15-43.5 mm lens on a Rebel. At least, the Rebel covers the standard 85mm FF equivalent portrait focal length.

I'd not be happy just taking my 24-70mmL with me as a vacation lens or walk around lens.
There is a huge market for those 18-135, 18-200, and 18-270, etc super zooms. That's because they are good for vacations and cover a wide range of circumstances, even though they may be a compromise quality wise, they fly off the shelves. Canon has stated in some recent interviews that the superzoom bodies are a bright spot in their sales, because the standard focal lengths are covered by camera phones. Certainly, a lot of users never upgrade their 18-55 lenses, but many of them take a superzoom point and shoot on vacation.

That's also why so many users come here to ask about getting something better to use for their vacation.

If a 24-70mm focal length range is all that you need, that's great, but one size does not fit all, and a buyer needs to consider this before plunking down $800.

Upvote 0
i really liked the first RX100. My friend had one and it seemed like a great little camera. The II seemed good but not that special after the first.
Now, the III looks simply awesome. 24mm on the wide end, a 1.8-2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range, with a flash, and an EVF makes this camera basically perfect in my mind.
Bravo Sony!

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Dylan777 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
R1-7D said:
+1 ... I'll be getting the 100 MK III within this month.

sounds like your GAS kicks in AGAIN....... ;D
Indeed ;D ... I've taken a liking to Sony mirrorless cameras and lenses ... the more I use them, the more I like them ... it has been 2 months since I touched my 5D MK III & the 70D ... but my Canon lenses do get a work out with the a7 ... I can easily carry from 12mm (FF FOV) to 200mm + 2 Sony mirrorless cameras in my office bag, its fun and convenient when the size is small while still providing great image quality.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Rienzphotoz said:
Dylan777 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
R1-7D said:

Indeed ;D ... I've taken a liking to Sony mirrorless cameras and lenses ... the more I use them, the more I like them ... it has been 2 months since I touched my 5D MK III & the 70D ... but my Canon lenses do get a work out with the a7 ... I can easily carry from 12mm (FF FOV) to 200mm + 2 Sony mirrorless cameras in my office bag, its fun and convenient when the size is small while still providing great image quality.

You going to need more space under your signature soon ;D

I went to local camera shop last week, just looking for camera backpack that can hold x2 5d III with 24-70 II and 70-200 attached. I ended up with this............. ::)

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 866
Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Dylan777 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
Dylan777 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
R1-7D said:

You going to need more space under your signature soon ;D

I went to local camera shop last week, just looking for camera backpack that can hold x2 5d III with 24-70 II and 70-200 attached. I ended up with this............. ::)
Congratulations! That is one impressive camera ... I understand how easy it is to get tempted ... that's one of the reasons I sometimes do not carry my debit or credit cards (especially when I am going to a good camera store), coz I am scared I'll end up buying something that I may not use much ;D

Upvote 0