But it was the first and only time I saw this one

wasp_spider_argiope_bruennichi.JPG

Reactions: Pape and AlanF

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I came across this spider I took with the trusty old 5DSR/100-400 II in Malaysia. Any experts on what it is?
Looks like some kind of silk spider, I suppose a Nephila maculata. Found this pic on this German page on the web.
When I searched wikipedia I found this article about Nephila pilipes.

I think the yellow spots on the leg joints are pretty prominent.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanF

privatebydesign

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
Looks like a female Giant Golden Orb Weaver to me, but I am no spider expert.

We have their smaller cousin where my sister lives where they call them Banana Spiders, though they are still a decent size and their webs can be very big.

I came across this spider I took with the trusty old 5DSR/100-400 II in Malaysia. Any experts on what it is?

View attachment 187069

Reactions: jprusa and AlanF
Jul 12, 2013
Do spiders belong in the insects forum or not?!

5D3_8626 - Copy.JPG
5D3_8697 - Copy.JPG
5D3_8738 - Copy.JPG

...various places on the 'net say (rather authoritatively) that spiders are not insects...but when I aim to ID this one the first place I went to was here!?

Reactions: Click

tolusina

EOS RP
Mar 1, 2012
I would like to put credits to the owner of this orb. I was just the lucky observer.
THIS!
This is one photography philosophy, that art is present within scenes we encounter, as photographers it's our task to decide how to frame a scene prior to recording for later presentation.
I do not want viewers of my photos to wonder how I did that, I do not want my photos to say "look what my gear can do" or "look what I can do with my gear", I don't want viewers to even be aware they're viewing a photo, I want them to see what I saw. I much rather hear "beautiful subject" than "nice photo".

An Ansel Adams quote;
"For those who like eyes in focus, but nose and ears out of focus, the use of long-focus lenses and large apertures at close distances will do nicely! I prefer a reasonably sharp image throughout......"

- -
Oh, that's quite a web!

Reactions: Maximilian

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I would like to put credits to the owner of this orb. I was just the lucky observer.
THIS!
This is one photography philosophy, that art is present within scenes we encounter, as photographers it's our task to decide how to frame a scene prior to recording for later presentation.
Oh, that's quite a web!
Fully agree and thank you for pointing that out.
And I am glad that I could enjoy you with my "beautiful subject" :)

Reactions: tolusina

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Aug 9, 2018
Unfortunately, I only know the name of the orchid (orchis militaris).
Who could help with the name of the yellow little critter?
2021121248186C4A8895.jpg

Reactions: Maximilian

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The second time I saw a wasp spider (argiope bruennichi) in Germany.
The first time here in Franconia. Another sign of climate change as they used to live in Southern Europe. Although they moved even further north.

wasp_spider_02.JPG

wasp_spider_03.JPG

wasp_spider_04.JPG

Reactions: HenryL and Click