ST-E3-RT & 600RT with Canon 5DIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to do the same. I use the 580EXII flashes with radio poppers and an ST-E2. Love the setup but the ST-E2 is hard to read in bright light since the red lights on it are dim. I had issues this weekend trying to do some A/B ratios since I couldn't see what the setting was. The new ST-E3 should fix that since it has a digital display. :)

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I did. I replaced the two 580 II with two 600s and the st-e3-rt.
For me the biggest plusses are:
Easy of use, everything can be driven from the camera (1DX), for example changing to HSS, just do it with the camera menu and the flashes change straight away to HSS. With the 580s you had to change it on the flash as well.
Radio control is a real plus. I use the small lastolite softboxes and was always cursing the line of sight issue, I mean the the soft boxes were "blocking" the optical transmission.
Radio control works fantastic, I put one behind a car and it happily fired.
Another (minor) plus is the extended zoom to 200 mm with 600s.

It was a lot of money to change, but as far as I am concerned, it was worth the money.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
victorwol said:
PW ... can control other studio flashes like Einsteins for example.

This is the main reason I've stuck with the Mini/Flex setup - I use an Einstein 640 as a main light with Canon Speedlites for background/separation lighting, and the PW's can trigger them all.

If Canon releases a receiver for their RT system that can trigger a monolight, I'm in...

Upvote 0
M

MarkeR2002

bornshooter said:
i wonder if anyone can help me.. i have a canon 430ex2 and pocketwizards mini and flex the question is if i buy a 600ex-rt and put it on the flex can i trigger the 430 using the 600 optically too?

I just purchased two 600rts. At my last wedding, I put one 600rt on camera and had the other 600rt on a stand by the head table I then put my 580ii on a stand by the cake, which was on the other side of the room. When I was by the head table I turned the 600rt on my camera to Radio link to trigger the 600rt off camera. Then when I was by the cake, I turned the 600rt to optical to trigger the 580 off camera. This setup worked for me, but I do plan on getting more 600's, they just work too well and from anywhere. Love how reliable they are using Radio now. ;D

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
MarkeR2002 said:
bornshooter said:
i wonder if anyone can help me.. i have a canon 430ex2 and pocketwizards mini and flex the question is if i buy a 600ex-rt and put it on the flex can i trigger the 430 using the 600 optically too?

I just purchased two 600rts. At my last wedding, I put one 600rt on camera and had the other 600rt on a stand by the head table I then put my 580ii on a stand by the cake, which was on the other side of the room. When I was by the head table I turned the 600rt on my camera to Radio link to trigger the 600rt off camera. Then when I was by the cake, I turned the 600rt to optical to trigger the 580 off camera. This setup worked for me, but I do plan on getting more 600's, they just work too well and from anywhere. Love how reliable they are using Radio now. ;D
thanks for your help ideally i will sell the 430ex2 and pocketwizards and get 2 600's and st-e3 :)

Upvote 0
I switched from the pocket wizard system to 3 600ex-rt flashes. I love them and the options they provide. They are very consistant and I enjoy being able to control almost every setting on my off camera flashes from the master. Using the 5D3 you can also utilize group mode where you can assign all flashes to up to 5 groups and change the mode of each group. So mixing manual and ettl is made easy. I would consider getting 3 flashes instead of the St-E3-rt it would only be $300 more and you have an extra flash if you need it or you can shoot with one on camera flash and two off. I do that during wedding receptions and I can make my own light in very difficult situations.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.