Strange case of blur images. Canon RF 24-70 f2.8

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
DOH! Real world pain in the butt. Just below freezing here, so decided it was a good time to knock down a very big wasp nest. Taking shots straight up in challenging early morning light, I FORGOT TO CHECK MY SHUTTER MODE! Of course I was in mechanical. And, with some distractions from my little boy, and difficulty seeing much because of glare in the EVF, I also let my shutter speed go lower than necessary, 1/200th on a 70-200 lens. So I did not get a sharp shot of the wasp nest before knocking it down.

If I hadn't done the test shots, I would have just thought all the distractions blew the shot. I know I was steady and still at the moment of capture, and I now believe this was shutter shock. DOH!
Count yourself lucky it wasn't anaphylactic shock from wasp stings.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Count yourself lucky it wasn't anaphylactic shock from wasp stings.
Are you allergic? That would be horrible. I usually don't bother the nests, but this one got too big, scaring the kids. And this is a pretty aggressive variety. The dinner plate adds scale--the wasps are about the size of a toddler's pinky. Big!

The last shot, an hour after the first two, is sharper because the shutter speed was way up.

Attachments

• Cold Wasps (1).jpg
    Cold Wasps (1).jpg
    671 KB · Views: 97
  • Cold Wasps (2).jpg
    Cold Wasps (2).jpg
    869.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Cold Wasps (3).jpg
    Cold Wasps (3).jpg
    882 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0