Stronger body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those worried about how much a body can hold up, or just want a good laugh (or a cry), I've posted the videos below. When he started using the cameras for shoes, I thought it couldn't get any worse... but it did.

D70 vs 400D durability test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8

Shots with the camera's post-damage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWzsXeXCwuc

Despite the broken front lens on the Canon, the picture quality is still a champ.

D

DuLt

Macadameane said:
For those worried about how much a body can hold up, or just want a good laugh (or a cry), I've posted the videos below. When he started using the cameras for shoes, I thought it couldn't get any worse... but it did.

D70 vs 400D durability test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8

Shots with the camera's post-damage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWzsXeXCwuc

Despite the broken front lens on the Canon, the picture quality is still a champ.

It's cause of this that I'm not a bit worried about rugness.

I take good care of my cameras, they can take allot of abuse.

Maybe a rugged camera would take more of a beating or survive a harsher accident, but prevention is the best ruggedness.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
DuLt said:

Maybe a rugged camera would take more of a beating or survive a harsher accident, but prevention is the best ruggedness.
How do we prevent the shutter release button failure?? It is a commonly failure item before anything elses in the 20D,30D 40D 50D etc. They all have rugged metal body, but the shutter button failure will cost US$250 to be fixed. I do no think that I will spend that kind of money on a 3 years old DSLR.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
DuLt said:

In real life, the punishment cameras are more likely to experience day in day out include:
- cold
- rain + water splashes
- dust
- beach sand and salt spray

The last point is probably the worst - the beach is one of the worst possible environments for a camera. How a camera holds up to frequent exposure to grit and salt can be a big factor.

Some photographers do abuse their cameras though. My wife has shot some weddings with a photographer who just dumps his 1DsIII in the boot of the car between locations. Not only does it roll around during the drive, but it is exposed to all the dirt you normally find in a car's boot. He is also a spirited driver! (The punishment the camera gets is visible on the body.) He also leaves lenses on the floor of his studio without either front or rear dust caps.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
How do we prevent the shutter release button failure?? It is a commonly failure item before anything elses in the 20D,30D 40D 50D etc. They all have rugged metal body, but the shutter button failure will cost US$250 to be fixed. I do no think that I will spend that kind of money on a 3 years old DSLR.

This has been brought up before. It's at your own risk of course, but there are tutorials online on how to either dissemble the camera and clean the contacts, or very carefully tilt the camera the right way and pour pure alcohol up the battery compartment (alcohol cannot have water or components can rust). I haven't ever done either, but the logic is solid. Can't say that I would do it though. I'll have to decide when I run into that problem.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Macadameane said:
This has been brought up before. It's at your own risk of course, but there are tutorials online on how to either dissemble the camera and clean the contacts, or very carefully tilt the camera the right way and pour pure alcohol up the battery compartment (alcohol cannot have water or components can rust). I haven't ever done either, but the logic is solid. Can't say that I would do it though. I'll have to decide when I run into that problem.

I see how to fix it (at you own risk) in You tube. My point is if the shutter release burtton fails the rugged metal body becomes aboat anchore. So why there is a lot of people on this site insist on metal boby or nothing??

Upvote 0
gmrza said:
My wife has shot some weddings with a photographer who just dumps his 1DsIII in the boot of the car between locations. Not only does it roll around during the drive, but it is exposed to all the dirt you normally find in a car's boot. He is also a spirited driver! (The punishment the camera gets is visible on the body.) He also leaves lenses on the floor of his studio without either front or rear dust caps.

To many, tools of the trade are just that, tools. That being said, I wouldn't hire a carpenter that abused his tools.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the 5D2 is very dependable, but I prefer not to push my luck.

About a year ago I was shooting some shots in a mountain town but was caught by a sudden torrential rain. Despite the fact I didn't bring a rain coat for my camera, I kept shooting in the rain - trusting the camera to hold its grounds.

Even though nothing major went wrong, there was a problem with the joystick on the back side; there's no response when you push the joystick to the left, and the problem seems to be from the water-drenched gaps between the camera and joystick pad. Fortunately, sticking the camera back in the dehumidifier storage for a day.

Again, even though the body is dependable, I rather not push my luck and would stick an extra camera raincoat in my gear pack if possible.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Check out my troubles with button failure on my 40D

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,584.msg8485.html#msg8485

I went on safari, didnt clean it thoroughly (dust etc) then went out on the lake when it was like throwing it down. Few days later the button failed to work. In the end i got some ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL put the camera on a tripod and pored it down the battery compartment and it worked a treat, although not for the feint of hearted check the vid below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB_gSqyidI0

But now it works better than ever.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
bvukich said:
gmrza said:
My wife has shot some weddings with a photographer who just dumps his 1DsIII in the boot of the car between locations. Not only does it roll around during the drive, but it is exposed to all the dirt you normally find in a car's boot. He is also a spirited driver! (The punishment the camera gets is visible on the body.) He also leaves lenses on the floor of his studio without either front or rear dust caps.

To many, tools of the trade are just that, tools. That being said, I wouldn't hire a carpenter that abused his tools.

I'm totally with you on that. There is no way you can avoid shooting weddings where you get rained on, get covered in spray at the beach or have smoke from a bonfire pour into a reception venue. Your gear has to deal with that. There is absolutely no excuse, on the other hand, for abusing your gear. My wife's gear gets the same tender treatment she gives a newborn baby... (probably a reason why we have had relatively few "quality" problems with camera gear.) 8)

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
DuLt said:

To grossly summarize: Pour alcohol down the battery hole. The catch is that it needs to be absolutely pure >99% isopropyl, and you have to have the camera positioned just right or else you'll get these weird (but actually kinda cool looking) splotchy patterns in the top display when you turn on the light. If this does happen, it's not the end of the world as you can still clearly read all of the numbers. Make sure to research this before you do it, but it saved my 30D. EDIT: Tomscott posted a youtube video up there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB_gSqyidI0

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.