Sub $1000 27" monitor for photo editing

I bought a Auria 27" 2560x1440 from micro center, I liked it so much I bought 2. Paid 399$ each. I used the spyderpro on them but was very unpleasant with the results. Bought color munki and they now match each other. It's a good monitor from Korea, I think it may have the same insides as the the apple displays. It's a great monitor for a great price.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
There are various issues with monitors, and they are not always apparent. Obviously, color gamut is important, but so is the back lighting. Some monitors (like my cheap Samsung 27 inch) do not have even back lighting. This can cause issues with calibration, and end up displaying colors wrong.

However, its a lot like buying a camera lens, you pay a lot more to get a small increment of improvement, and you have to decide how much you are willing to pay for each 0.1% improvement.

Personally, I prefer to spend the money on lenses, I calibrate my monitor, and prints match reasonably well and after tweaking the brightness in the Lightroom print module, they are very close. Since I already use Lightroom, it costs no more to get them very close.

If you do not look at your monitor straight on, a IPS panel will help reduce fading and loss of contrast from viewing at a angle. This helps to prevent you from adding contrast when its not wanted or needed.

Backlit displays have more even lighting than side lit displays.

You should be able to do quite well for under $1,000.

I prefer to stay away from shiny screens, reflections really make it hard to edit. Get a non-reflective screen.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
kennephoto said:
RLPhoto said:
The dell U3011. I have a pair of them @ 850$ on a Newegg sale 6 months ago. You should see them drop again by the end of this year but a fantastically accurate monitor and calibrates like a champ.

$850 for a pair? Wow! Time to look at newegg!

:p whoops. I meant I have a pair of them and paid @ 850$ each.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
There are various issues with monitors, and they are not always apparent. Obviously, color gamut is important, but so is the back lighting. Some monitors (like my cheap Samsung 27 inch) do not have even back lighting. This can cause issues with calibration, and end up displaying colors wrong.

However, its a lot like buying a camera lens, you pay a lot more to get a small increment of improvement, and you have to decide how much you are willing to pay for each 0.1% improvement.

Personally, I prefer to spend the money on lenses, I calibrate my computer monitor, and prints match reasonably well and after tweaking the brightness in the Lightroom print module, they are very close. Since I already use Lightroom, it costs no more to get them very close.

If you do not look at your monitor straight on, a IPS panel will help reduce fading and loss of contrast from viewing at a angle. This helps to prevent you from adding contrast when its not wanted or needed.

Backlit displays have more even lighting than side lit displays.

You should be able to do quite well for under $1,000.

I prefer to stay away from shiny screens, reflections really make it hard to edit. Get a non-reflective screen.
Thank you Mt Spokane Photography for your suggestions. Would you please suggest me a pc monitor under $150?

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Benq 32" 2k monitor :)

The price is spectacular (about $500 USD), it's huge, and the color gamut is good. It also comes with a programmable puck, that you can configure with hotkeys for a few one-button color settings.

Personally, I also prefer 2k to 4k for photo stuff, because not very many people out there have 4k (and I like to see things as they would). Not that many people have 2k either, but because the monitor is so large, the pixel density is only slightly more than a 1080p on the average monitor.

Upvote 0