Taking photos with the R5 causing overheating when switching to video

Nov 12, 2016
So he uses the camera for an hour in 86 deg F "summer weather" (does this mean out in the sun?) and he's shocked that it got hot? The only thing that's pretty ridiculous here is using an electronic device for an hour straight in hot summer weather and expecting it not to get hot. I wouldn't use a laptop outdoors for an hour in 86 degree weather and expect it to be in very good shape afterward either.

Everyone needs to calm down. Barely anyone has the camera in their hands yet. Nobody knows how this will truly work in the real world. If this overheating thing is that terrifying to you, go buy a 5D Mark IV. It will almost never overheat. It's a capable camera, albeit missing about five years of technological advancements. People need to come to terms with the fact that cameras are becoming processing intensive electronic devices like everything else. It can't defy physics. It's going to generate heat, and if you use it outside in hot weather, it's going to get even hotter. Again if that's too much of a problem, enjoy the last several decades of camera technology. They were robust and reliable for what they were.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
So he uses the camera for an hour in 86 deg F "summer weather" (does this mean out in the sun?) and he's shocked that it got hot? The only thing that's pretty ridiculous here is using an electronic device for an hour straight in hot summer weather and expecting it not to get hot. I wouldn't use a laptop outdoors for an hour in 86 degree weather and expect it to be in very good shape afterward either.

Everyone needs to calm down. Barely anyone has the camera in their hands yet. Nobody knows how this will truly work in the real world. If this overheating thing is that terrifying to you, go buy a 5D Mark IV. It will almost never overheat. It's a capable camera, albeit missing about five years of technological advancements. People need to come to terms with the fact that cameras are becoming processing intensive electronic devices like everything else. It can't defy physics. It's going to generate heat, and if you use it outside in hot weather, it's going to get even hotter. Again if that's too much of a problem, enjoy the last several decades of camera technology. They were robust and reliable for what they were.

Yeah I guess if you're shooting a few photos of your dog than this camera is fine.

I wasn't too concerned with the initial overheating reports because I don't shoot interviews or long clips. But as a hybrid shooter who switchs between photos and videos I can't rely on this camera if I want to do professional work with it.

After waiting on canon to release something for 5 years I'll have to wait a few more for the r5ii, maybe they'll get their shit together by then.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
So... assuming he was using 4k 30p HQ (8k oversample)??? Would have been nice if he elaborated what he was shooting before hand, if any of the other modes worked, or if he switched to camera mode and it continued to work fine.

I don't mind people reporting the bad... but would like to get some context.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I am disappointed by the lack of detail in this tweet.

If the Camera is fully locked up after an hour of shooting photos than my pre-order will feel pretty fn stupid.

No way Canon would release a stills Camera that cannot shoot stills. My order cannot come soon enough so I can go back to taking photos and ignore all the noise.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

If the Camera is fully locked up after an hour of shooting photos than my pre-order will feel pretty fn stupid.
The man is after clickbait, and he is doing a very good job of it. Relax, your camera will be fine but the truth is if you don't love it you can return it, but you'll love it! Stop listening to people like Gerald and make your own decision when you have your own camera....

DPReview are saying completely contradictory stuff to this and whilst I don't trust them an inch I'd say if there was a problem they would be highlighting it.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
The man is after clickbait, and he is doing a very good job of it. Relax, your camera will be fine but the truth is if you don't love it you can return it, but you'll love it! Stop listening to people like Gerald and make your own decision when you have your own camera....

DPReview are saying completely contradictory stuff to this and whilst I don't trust them an inch I'd say if there was a problem they would be highlighting it.
I think that's a fair enough perspective.. Personally though, there is just too much doubt aroubd this camera for me to justify a pre-order. I'm going to wait a few months until some more thorough real world testing has been done. I often shoot a lot of stills and then transition to video on the fly... so this tweet is definitely at least a slight concern

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019

Your right of course, this tweet was the first thing that rattled my resolve as it was so unexpected.

The one hour of shooting and then switching to video is a use case I use often for air shows so like I said it rattled me.

I am confident my 22 years of software and hardware testing will serve me well in determining if the system meets my needs.

Thanks for the virtual slap in the face, I needed that.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think Gerald produces reasonably good and informative videos. But I think these tweets are subjective and personal opinions only. They may have click value but perhaps they rather harm his credibility that he has worked hard to establish.
I'd rather know the setup of his shooting experiment (e.g. how many shots in one hour interval? resolution? RAW/Jpeg? camera off in-between shots? shots via EVF or LCD? LCD facing front or back? long or short shutter speeds? bursts or single shot? AF or manual? indoor/outdoor? sun/shade? etc.). That is the only way to let the others repeat the experiment and verify the claims.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

I have had a 5D Mark IV (or maybe it was a 5D Mark III?) get too hot and refuse to operate after sitting in direct sunlight in 90°F+ conditions. Covering it with a shade for a few minutes solved the issue. Lesson learned.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020

No way Canon would release a stills Camera that cannot shoot stills. My order cannot come soon enough so I can go back to taking photos and ignore all the noise.

he took 30-40 shots during that hour.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I was really hoping to be able to shoot stills with the camera, which is 95+% of what I do, and then switch to 8K video for 10-15 sec for short burst. Maybe not unreasonable to expect that a black body camera to get warm in the summer. Should Canon have made the camera white so it would not have absorbed all wavelengths of radiation? I will test this myself once the camera is in hand. 30 day return policies exist for a reason.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I was really hoping to be able to shoot stills with the camera, which is 95+% of what I do, and then switch to 8K video for 10-15 sec for short burst. Maybe not unreasonable to expect that a black body camera to get warm in the summer. Should Canon have made the camera white so it would not have absorbed all wavelengths of radiation? I will test this myself once the camera is in hand. 30 day return policies exist for a reason.

not in Australia though.. once you bought you bought for good. unless there is a problem with the item, then either exchange for a brand new item or repair...

• Haha
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Thank you to others for pointing out that a 30 day return policy is not universal. In that case I am glad that my local retailer has a 30 day return policy. If I were in other circumstances, I would consider delaying my order until more info becomes available over the next few weeks. Likely I will keep the camera and buy a Tilta cage and cooling system for shooting video.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If you don’t have a return policy why in gods name would you preorder if you are not 100% sure the thing is what you need? Avarice, impatience, oneupmanship? It just doesn’t make sense to me ordering something without the ability to return it before the first reliable reports, reviews and RAW files are freely available.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0