Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This is a huge crop, but made my "shot of the day". Given the theme, I don't have a problem with the left side looking very bright. Checking the limits of my setup. The step up in megapixels from my 5D Mark III is very appreciated, so much so, that I will be looking hard at the high res R that replaces the 5DSr in the lineup Canon has. Also, Canon really did us a solid on the 85mm. It is the first 85mm prime I have owned, and I really do like it for portraits. My editing around her hair at the top of her head is really bad.

EOS R, RF 85mm f/1.2L, 1/8000 sec, f/1.2, ISO 50

Attachments

• Terra Angel 2 web.jpg
    Terra Angel 2 web.jpg
    827.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Terra Angel.JPG
    Terra Angel.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Wonderful lighting on Terra and great image. Somehow I suspect this is one you might windup playing with the PP on for a while. My thoughts... blown out left side of image works but needs a smoother transition to the rest of the background and the size of the highlight might be a little too big. The edge of the right wing (left side of image) is a little funky - perhaps softer editing brush? In my vision I see the whole image as wanting to be a little softer (that RF 85 is razor sharp!) with perhaps some 'God rays' (or lens flare lines) extending from slightly smaller blown out area across her wing. Don't know if that would work, just how I envision it. (Perhaps from shooting too many years with poorly coated lenses! In analog days I'd print this through a silk stocking.) Clearly just my opinion, not yours. Great job, have fun doing it your way!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Wonderful lighting on Terra and great image. Somehow I suspect this is one you might windup playing with the PP on for a while. My thoughts... blown out left side of image works but needs a smoother transition to the rest of the background and the size of the highlight might be a little too big. The edge of the right wing (left side of image) is a little funky - perhaps softer editing brush? In my vision I see the whole image as wanting to be a little softer (that RF 85 is razor sharp!) with perhaps some 'God rays' (or lens flare lines) extending from slightly smaller blown out area across her wing. Don't know if that would work, just how I envision it. (Perhaps from shooting too many years with poorly coated lenses! In analog days I'd print this through a silk stocking.) Clearly just my opinion, not yours. Great job, have fun doing it your way!
Thanks for your input! My Lightroom/ Photoshop skills aren't very good. So most all I post has very little done to them. A little exposure adjustment and cropping with some spot healing. That's about all. I don't know how to use masks, etc. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The problem with the left side is that it is the sun setting on the water, still quite bright. Not much to do about that at my skill level. Here's the uncropped image and then an image of when the sun got lower.

Attachments

• Tara 1 web.jpg
    Tara 1 web.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Terra Angel web.jpg
    Terra Angel web.jpg
    907.4 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 0
No apologies needed for editing skills, mine are probably worse than yours. Fortunately I have family to bail me out when I get in over my head. Thanks for the uncropped version it gives the shot a lot of context. So the funkiness along the righthand wing edge isn't from any editing at all... just naturally blown out, interesting. I tend to like the uncropped version more especially if the model could have been positioned so the sun was angled slightly so it came in diagonally from upper left rather than straight on. Oh, and have the model tug her skirt so it doesn't have such a deep fold. (Easy for me to say, hard to catch on the spot!) Anyway, still a great 'wow' shot. Thanks for sharing and putting up with an old-schooler's opinions.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No apologies needed for editing skills, mine are probably worse than yours. Fortunately I have family to bail me out when I get in over my head. Thanks for the uncropped version it gives the shot a lot of context. So the funkiness along the righthand wing edge isn't from any editing at all... just naturally blown out, interesting. I tend to like the uncropped version more especially if the model could have been positioned so the sun was angled slightly so it came in diagonally from upper left rather than straight on. Oh, and have the model tug her skirt so it doesn't have such a deep fold. (Easy for me to say, hard to catch on the spot!) Anyway, still a great 'wow' shot. Thanks for sharing and putting up with an old-schooler's opinions.
Yes, the tucked in skirt was the main reason for the crop. :) Little details always bite me.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Yes, the tucked in skirt was the main reason for the crop. :) Little details always bite me.
Interesting. I have a blown out backlighting shot from the 85mm 1.2 also, and it's great except where the hair gets raggedy from simply being "erased" in tiny patches by the overexposure. Otherwise I like the photo so much. I don't have my full setup right now for PP, as I'm remodeling and painting (real paint, latex!), so I haven't given it much attention yet.

My first thought would be to lightly clone in a smoother fringe using the other wing--while reversing the direction of effect in the Clone Tool's settings box. And probably fiddle with lightly smudging it...Or, just in LR, try using negative clarity along the raggedy part of the wing to mitigate the problem?

But I wonder if, in camera, I should be exposing less and more willing to lighten the skin tones in post. At low ISO's, not such a huge hit to IQ--maybe? When the sun is involved beyond true golden hour, hard to work with, for sure.

Were the two photos taken close to the same time? Or was the brighter one significantly earlier?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Interesting. I have a blown out backlighting shot from the 85mm 1.2 also, and it's great except where the hair gets raggedy from simply being "erased" in tiny patches by the overexposure. Otherwise I like the photo so much. I don't have my full setup right now for PP, as I'm remodeling and painting (real paint, latex!), so I haven't given it much attention yet.

My first thought would be to lightly clone in a smoother fringe using the other wing--while reversing the direction of effect in the Clone Tool's settings box. And probably fiddle with lightly smudging it...Or, just in LR, try using negative clarity along the raggedy part of the wing to mitigate the problem?

But I wonder if, in camera, I should be exposing less and more willing to lighten the skin tones in post. At low ISO's, not such a huge hit to IQ--maybe? When the sun is involved beyond true golden hour, hard to work with, for sure.

Were the two photos taken close to the same time? Or was the brighter one significantly earlier?
The bright one was a few minutes earlier. Had I thought about it I might have bumped to f/16 and seen whether I'd get a sun star from the orange sun. As the sun is setting, time gets real precious... so ideas are overwhelmed by time. Just need a lot more practice. ;) Still, given the theme, I don't mind the left side being blown out at all. Gives me the impression of moving from a dark world and into a world of light, if that makes sense.

Upvote 0