Testing out some uncommon infrared lenses

Recently I received my 6D back from LifePixel converted to infrared (OK, 590nm - so purists won't consider this true infrared) and I decided to try out a few more uncommon lenses to see how well they handled.

Below are a few of the photos, but here are my rough findings.

200-400/1.4x I had problems getting AF to catch, so I had to use MF. Not really a big deal. The lens seems to handle fine and I used this for the heron shot below.

MP-E 65 The jury is still out in terms of diffraction. It seems like it might be a bit worse but my MT-24EX ran out of batteries before I could stress it out much. The ant shot below is with this combo.

100/2.8 IS Macro This lens handled fine. However, this is one lens I have used with an unconverted camera + 720nm filter and with that combo I saw banding except at apertures 2.8-4. I'm not sure if this is an artifact with the longer exposures or with the infrared bandwidth, but at 590nm I am not seeing problems. The bee below is with this combo.

70-200/2.8 II This is another lens that performs poorly with a 720nm filter, but performed fine with the 590nm 6D.

24-70/2.8 II Similar to the 70-200/2.8 II. Works fine with the 590nm converted 6D, but just OK with the 720nm filter. In particular there is extreme flaring if the lens is pointed anywhere near the sun (which does not happen in visible light). Note that I have yet to test the converted 6D with the sun in the shot.

8-15 fisheye Works fine with the converted 6D. Of course I cannot test with the filter.

11-24 Works fine with the 590nm 6D. Could not test with the filter.

16-35/4 IS Have not tested yet with the 590nm 6D, but I doubt there will be any problems. This is one of the few lenses that works without issues with the 720nm filter.

TS-E 24 II With the 720nm filter this lens works fine as long as I don't shift it. I haven't tested it with the converted 6D yet.

I also have a TS-E 90 and TS-E 17 that I have yet to test.

Bee Story by Joseph Calev, on Flickr

On the Edge by Joseph Calev, on Flickr

Waiting by Joseph Calev, on Flickr