Tethered Shooting with 5D III & Microsoft Pro 3

Hi all
I am looking for a setup to do tethered shooting for Architecture/Property interior & exterior shoots & was thinking of using the new SP3.
Has anyone any experience with the SP3 for shooting or post production in LR5 and if so could you please share with me the specs of your SP3 and your thoughts on it's suitability including screen colour accuracy.
The SP3 was only released in Australia Monday so its just showing up in stores now.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Michael

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
I don't have the Surface Pro 3. But my main job daily is developing modified software for the SME based on the Microsoft Dynamics platform.

All the models of the Surface Pro, here available in Belgium, have 4Gb internal memory with the exception for version the 512Gb i7 version which has 8Gb internal memory.

I would never advice you to run LR on only 4Gb memory. I use a HP elitebook 8770w, dual i7 QM with 24Gb internal memory and 2 internal SSD harddisks. Does this laptop run smoothly? Mostly yes, but not that I never have to wait.

So the only advice I can give you is to think first again if you really want the Surface Pro as your post processing unit? If you decide to go on with the Surface Pro then please do take the 512Gb i7 with 8Gb internal memory. I know, its 1949€ over here, but only 4 Gb for LR is not enough !!

For shooting, even the basic version might be OK. But post processing asks for more power.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
FEBS said:
I don't have the Surface Pro 3. But my main job daily is developing modified software for the SME based on the Microsoft Dynamics platform.

All the models of the Surface Pro, here available in Belgium, have 4Gb internal memory with the exception for version the 512Gb i7 version which has 8Gb internal memory.

I would never advice you to run LR on only 4Gb memory. I use a HP elitebook 8770w, dual i7 QM with 24Gb internal memory and 2 internal SSD harddisks. Does this laptop run smoothly? Mostly yes, but not that I never have to wait.

So the only advice I can give you is to think first again if you really want the Surface Pro as your post processing unit? If you decide to go on with the Surface Pro then please do take the 512Gb i7 with 8Gb internal memory. I know, its 1949€ over here, but only 4 Gb for LR is not enough !!

For shooting, even the basic version might be OK. But post processing asks for more power.

...very good...and very useful advice.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
360_6pack said:
Hi all
I am looking for a setup to do tethered shooting for Architecture/Property interior & exterior shoots & was thinking of using the new SP3.
Has anyone any experience with the SP3 for shooting or post production in LR5 and if so could you please share with me the specs of your SP3 and your thoughts on it's suitability including screen colour accuracy.
The SP3 was only released in Australia Monday so its just showing up in stores now.
Michael

The issue is the small screen, its tough to do serious editing on a 12 inch screen. The screen has good color and contrast which helps. The 8GB i7 models can easily handle Lightroom 5, but I prefer 16 GB or more.

One of the active CR members uses one, search the forum, since he has already commented.

Upvote 0

markko

CR Pro
Jan 21, 2012
360_6pack said:
Hi all
Michael

I use the SP2 with i5 and 8GB of RAM as my working machine and happily use Photoshop CC and Premiere CC; as these run fine for me, I think LR5 would also run fine.

I agree with FEBS that 8GB RAM is really useful/required, but the i7 model is not the only one with 8GB. There is also an i5 model with 8GB RAM and 256 SSD, selling for 1,319 euro (here in the Netherlands).

The SP2 screen is even smaller than the SP3, but if you're close enough to the screen it's really OK to work with.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
I edit on a pretty powerful desktop with a calibrated, wide gamut monitor, profiled printer/paper/ink and so forth. I've not found anything reasonably comparable and reasonably portable, my sometimes limited imagination prevents me from even considering any comprehensive post processing/editing in the field.
I suppose if I was heading off on a Safari, I'd find an acceptable compromise solution.

Meanwhile, I'm quite satisfied, delighted actually, tethering with a (far less expensive than an SP3) 10" ASUS Android tablet using DSLR Controller.
Chainfire, the DSLR controller developer has released an Alpha build of DSLR Controller AFMA though I've not yet tried it.

Same dev has a WiFi adapter gizmo if you'd like to go that route, some fabrication and assembly required.

There's also Helicon Remote for Android with similar functionality from the same folks that offer Helicon Focus for PC and MAC, I just now see they also offer Helicon Remote for PC and MAC as well as Android.

I'm delighted enough with DSLR Controller that I've not been tempted by Helicon Remote though I'm quite pleased with Helicon Focus for Macro Focus stacking.

edit....... One quirk, maybe it's a 'feature' I've found with DSLR Controller, the program displays an error on connection if you've set to Back Button Focus.
Since so many of my starting settings when tethered differ from my handheld preferences, I've set one of my custom shooting mode settings to full manual, live view with exposure simulation, shutter button controlled focus, works a treat.

Upvote 0

LJ3Jim

CR Pro
Jun 29, 2014
360_6pack said:
Hi all
Michael

I tried a Surface Pro 3 for a couple of weeks this summer. Although the machine runs well (including LR5), I found a number of drawbacks.

1. The kickstand and keyboard don't offer enough flexibility for positioning the machine. Anytime you need to reposition the machine (which could happen often when shooting), you have to fiddle with both. It was a nuisance, but not necessarily a killer.

2. The screen itself was fine with its color, but I did use a Spyder calibrator to get it there. The screen is glossy, whereas my main monitor at home is non-glare. I prefer non-glare.

3. The 2160x1440 display was a problem. In order to use the machine, you must use screen scaling to make items visible. 125% or 150% is needed. Unfortunately, that has a huge impact on apps like LR. The reason for this is a little complicated. Software apps request the screen size from Windows so that they know how to size themselves. When the SP3 uses scaling, the size of the screen as reported to the apps gets smaller. I think I was using 125% scaling, and the reported screen size was something like 1750x1100. So LR scales your photos down to a size that will fit on the reduced resolution, and then Windows scales everything up to the native 2160x1440 resolution. The net result of this is that you can't see a true 1:1 view of your photos. That was the killer for me.

The machine that I found (and love) is a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga. It's i7, 8GB, 256GB SSD. It has a 12.5" 1920x1080 screen with a non-glare finish. 12.5" is big enough so that I don't need scaling. Thus I'm always using the native resolution of the machine. The Yoga line flips the keyboard around for tablet mode. It's like the Surfaces do, but the keyboard is real. I do use the machine both at home and in the field. It works well for me.

Regards, Jim

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
I have used my original Surface Pro for tethered shooting for some time. It is actually not nearly as bad as anyone has indicated.

First things first, you have to set the DPI scaling in LR itself, if you want to use LR. You can set 150% or 200%. I don't know why Adobe does not use the Windows OS scaling, rather annoying that it does not, but once you set the scaling, it sticks, so it's not a big deal.

Second, make sure you get and use the stylus. The original Surface Pro came with a stylus, and it is VERY easy to use, and make controlling the sliders and whatnot in LR a breeze. This also goes for Photoshop.

Third, when it comes to live view tethered shooting, you actually need to use the Canon utility for that. LR does not do live view, however it does let you control the camera from the tablet. I like using the Canon utility, as it basically makes your camera more like a view or field camera with large ground glass.

So long as you get and use the stylus, and fix the DPI in LR, in general the Surface Pro 3 should make for an awesome tablet to control your camera.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
jrista said:
Third, when it comes to live view tethered shooting, you actually need to use the Canon utility for that. LR does not do live view, however it does let you control the camera from the tablet. I like using the Canon utility, as it basically makes your camera more like a view or field camera with large ground glass........
Just as I was posting above, I tried LR + tether for the first time, though my stupid was in action when I couldn't figure out how to switch on live view, d'oh...

The Canon Utility interface is about as rudimentary as the Canon EOS Remote app for Android. Sorry, I've now seen and used DSLR Controller, can't go back to either of those Canon apps.
I liked DSLR Controller so much on my phones, I bought a tablet primarily to run just that app. Sure I do a few other things on the tablet now that I have it, but I wouldn't have it but for DSLR Controller.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
Another option for live view shooting is to use BackyardEOS. It's actually intended for astrophotography, but it is very feature rich, and even includes a very powerful, fine grained manual focus control feature which would be awesome for landscapes. I have that on both my tablet and laptop, never thought to use it for landscapes before...but it would be freaking awesome. Just for the full screen live view and focus control...but you can also program sequences (that's really what it's for, astro imaging sequencing), which would make doing multi-frame and even multi-ISO bracketing really easy.

You can get the basic version for $30, which is all you would need. The $50 version has a bunch of features only necessary for astrophotography, like drift alignment. Probably the best tool on the market for tablet-tethered live view control of an EOS DSLR.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
tolusina said:

The Canon Utility interface is about as rudimentary as the Canon EOS Remote app for Android. Sorry, I've now seen and used DSLR Controller, can't go back to either of those Canon apps....
I have to retract that comparison between the Canon apps. I just tried the PC version of the EOS Utility again after a long time, there is a lot more there than in EOS Remote.
I'm still sticking by DLSR Controller though, it's just pretty much awesomely excellent.

Upvote 0

LJ3Jim

CR Pro
Jun 29, 2014
jrista said:
Second, make sure you get and use the stylus. The original Surface Pro came with a stylus, and it is VERY easy to use, and make controlling the sliders and whatnot in LR a breeze. This also goes for Photoshop.

Agreed. Not all ThinkPad Yogas come with a stylus, but mine did. It is worth getting. I think all of the Surface Pro 3s come with one.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
LJ3Jim said:
jrista said:

Agreed. Not all ThinkPad Yogas come with a stylus, but mine did. It is worth getting. I think all of the Surface Pro 3s come with one.

I know the previous two Surface Pros came with one, however, I think the Stylus is now an extra device for the Pro 3. It's a LOT better stylus than the really simple, plastic one I got...but it is highly recommended. It just makes using desktop mode so much vastly easier than trying to use a mouse or the touch pad...it's well worth the cost, IMO. (Not to mention the fact that the new one is fully pressure sensitive and multi modal and all that.)

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
360_6pack said:
Hi allI am looking for a setup to do tethered shooting for Architecture/Property interior & exterior shoots & was thinking of using the new SP3.
I've been using a Surface 2 Pro (i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) for months, it works flawlessly for tethered shooting using the EOS Utility (using a 5m USB cable, hope to test soon with a WFT E7), and it is adequate for LR5 use on the field, although my final processing is performed on a desktop system and larger monitor. You can always connect the Surface to an external monitor, if you need it.
Its screen can be calibrated, but of course is not a wide gamut monitor, and take into account setting a fixed brightness can reduce how long a charge lasts.
You can find some supports to clamp the tablet to something or put it on a tripod, but don't know what is available yet for the larger SP3.
For tethered shooting I use it without the keyboard, just touch/pen or the Bluetooth mouse, while LR is faster to use with the keyboard docked, yet basic processing can be easily performed with the stylus, which is of course very handy for local adjustments.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
jrista said:
It's a LOT better stylus than the really simple, plastic one I got...but it is highly recommended. It just makes using desktop mode so much vastly easier than trying to use a mouse or the touch pad...it's well worth the cost, IMO. (Not to mention the fact that the new one is fully pressure sensitive and multi modal and all that.)
Wacom makes better styluses that works with the SP2 (which uses a Wacom digitizer, I got one and feels much better) but doesn't work with the SP3 which uses a different technology. The SP2 stylus is passive and doesn't require batteries. The SP3 one is Bluetooth unit and requires batteries.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
Ruined said:
Hi,
Just a heads up - the Surface Pro 2 in my opinion is a lot better for photography and video than the Surface Pro 3. The Surface Pro 3 throttles like crazy and I think the SP2 would just be a lot better suited for field work - FYI.

You control this with the standard Windows power plans. The default plan on the SP3 is probably aggressively power-saving. Switch it to a less aggressive plan (Balanced should do it), or the high performance plan. Just keep in mind, if you limit the power saving, your battery life will suffer.

Upvote 0
Hi All
Thank you all for your advice.

I should have made it clear I would only be using LR for in field quick looking & adjusting or when I'm away from home, the final editing etc would be done on my desktop at home.
It would appear that the SP3 would achieve my objective better than a small laptop as the laptop would be larger and not have a better screen resolution.

Michael

Upvote 0