Tethered Shooting with 5D III & Microsoft Pro 3

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
jrista said:
Ruined said:
Hi,
Just a heads up - the Surface Pro 2 in my opinion is a lot better for photography and video than the Surface Pro 3. The Surface Pro 3 throttles like crazy and I think the SP2 would just be a lot better suited for field work - FYI.

You control this with the standard Windows power plans. The default plan on the SP3 is probably aggressively power-saving. Switch it to a less aggressive plan (Balanced should do it), or the high performance plan. Just keep in mind, if you limit the power saving, your battery life will suffer.

no snark intended: Are you certain that you can control throttling on the SP3 via changes in the power plan?

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
josephandrews222 said:
jrista said:
Ruined said:
Hi,
Just a heads up - the Surface Pro 2 in my opinion is a lot better for photography and video than the Surface Pro 3. The Surface Pro 3 throttles like crazy and I think the SP2 would just be a lot better suited for field work - FYI.

You control this with the standard Windows power plans. The default plan on the SP3 is probably aggressively power-saving. Switch it to a less aggressive plan (Balanced should do it), or the high performance plan. Just keep in mind, if you limit the power saving, your battery life will suffer.

no snark intended: Are you certain that you can control throttling on the SP3 via changes in the power plan?

It's a Microsoft device running a Microsoft operating system. If you could NOT, I would be extremely surprised. Microsoft knows how their own stuff works, if they botched that, then they deserve to lose sales. Every other device, both Microsoft or third party, that I have that runs Windows, supports power plans in exactly that way. This isn't some new feature...it's been around for years...since Vista at least (and in some form in XP before that.) I'd find it highly unusual if the SP3 did not.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
tolusina said:
tolusina said:

The Canon Utility interface is about as rudimentary as the Canon EOS Remote app for Android. Sorry, I've now seen and used DSLR Controller, can't go back to either of those Canon apps....
I have to retract that comparison between the Canon apps. I just tried the PC version of the EOS Utility again after a long time, there is a lot more there than in EOS Remote.
I'm still sticking by DLSR Controller though, it's just pretty much awesomely excellent.

I was wondering what Canon version you were using, Canon utilities is pretty comprehensive. I also use Breeze DSLR Pro for remote. Lightroom tethering is not really worth the bother.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
....I was wondering what Canon version you were using.....
EOS Utility Version 2.12.2.1, it's what was in the box with my 6D.

Seriously, if one has an Android device with USB host support (which includes most current models) and a somewhat recent Canon, the DSLR Controller app is only USD $8.00, a USB host cable adapter/dongle/thingy can be had for USD $3.00 to USD $20.00, it's very inexpensive to try.
Plus, once a USB host adapter is in hand, a plethora of USB devices become plug and play on your Android, things like thumb drives, card readers, external drives, keyboards, mice, mostly whatever.

The DSLR Controller web site lists compatible cameras, their list of compatible Androids is woefully incomplete and somewhat wrong. I have it running on four devices, only one of them is listed.
Support is rather lame, it mostly consists of a single thread of hundreds of pages at xda. I've had no need of the xda thread though, what few answers I needed were all on the app's main web site.

I find a USB host adapter so handy, one stays in my phone's case. When I'm out and about with the camera, my camera accessory belt pouch carries the standard USB cable, phone is always available if I need to tether. If I've planned ahead to tether for a specific shot or if I'm tethering in a studio environment, I tether to tablet.
---
I looked briefly at the Breeze site, it's Windows only so not as portable as an Android solution, it's got some license restrictions, it's pricier than Android solutions, I'll pass on that one.
I do thank you for the lead though, it's always good to know more of what all is out there and available. Multi camera support looks real trick indeed but way beyond my current needs and wants.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
tolusina said:
....I was wondering what Canon version you were using.....
EOS Utility Version 2.12.2.1, it's what was in the box with my 6D.

Seriously, if one has an Android device with USB host support (which includes most current models) and a somewhat recent Canon, the DSLR Controller app is only USD $8.00, a USB host cable adapter/dongle/thingy can be had for USD $3.00 to USD $20.00, it's very inexpensive to try.
Plus, once a USB host adapter is in hand, a plethora of USB devices become plug and play on your Android, things like thumb drives, card readers, external drives, keyboards, mice, mostly whatever.

The DSLR Controller web site lists compatible cameras, their list of compatible Androids is woefully incomplete and somewhat wrong. I have it running on four devices, only one of them is listed.
Support is rather lame, it mostly consists of a single thread of hundreds of pages at xda. I've had no need of the xda thread though, what few answers I needed were all on the app's main web site.

I find a USB host adapter so handy, one stays in my phone's case. When I'm out and about with the camera, my camera accessory belt pouch carries the standard USB cable, phone is always available if I need to tether. If I've planned ahead to tether for a specific shot or if I'm tethering in a studio environment, I tether to tablet.
---
I looked briefly at the Breeze site, it's Windows only so not as portable as an Android solution, it's got some license restrictions, it's pricier than Android solutions, I'll pass on that one.
I do thank you for the lead though, it's always good to know more of what all is out there and available. Multi camera support looks real trick indeed but way beyond my current needs and wants.

Being more portable is certainly a advantage for some cases. I mostly tether in my studio, but I do have a Manfrotto clamp on tray that I place my Lenovo laptop on to run Focal. Its not ideal.

It would work with a tablet as well, its almost infinitely adjustable. That Lenovo Laptop has a horrible screen, no matter how I calibrate it, its inadequate for most anything. I spent most of a day looking at new laptops, including all the ones here. In the end, I gave up, none of them would work for me, but the ones mentioned are much much better than my old X200s.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
.... I spent most of a day looking at new laptops, including all the ones here. In the end, I gave up, none of them would work for me.....
I did the same searching for an optimal laptop, gave up, built a no compromise desktop instead.
I forgo editing until I'm back at my desktop.
---

sanjosedave said:
I'm looking for a tethered, Live View solution for macro imaging.

Does Live View work with both DSLR controller....
Yes indeed, DSLR Controller does that very well. You can choose 5x or 10x magnification same as on camera but on a much larger screen.
Additionally, for macro use DSLR Controller can automate focus stepping to build your stacked shots for focus stacking on your editing machine.

Here's a stack captured using DSLR Controller, can't miss focus breathing in action......
index.php

And the final, assembled stack.......
index.php

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
jrista said:
Ruined said:
Hi,

Can't be done with Surface Pro 3, two reasons:
1. Microsoft took traditional power plans out of Surface Pro 3. To get high performance back, you must enable Hyper-V which is incompatible with connected standby. Some have also reported the SP3 goes into thermal shutdown when this is attempted.

2. Even if you did step 1, it still throttles aggressively. Both in Windows and in Linux. It is in the firmware.

IMO Surface Pro 2 is a more reliable machine due to the throttling issues with SP3. Personally I don't believe the SP3 cooling design is adequate for Haswell.

Upvote 0
I found this thread with interest as I am considering the Surface Pro 3 after being epicly disappointed with the painfully slow transfers from Eye-Fi to iPad (JPEG set to Medium on 5D Mark III). Having used USB tethering to the laptop for years, love the transfer speed and near-immediate display of large JPEG images shot after shot.

I played with the trial copy of DSLR Remote PRO by BreezeSys on the laptop and I liked it very much. Curious if the "throttling" problem reported here also applied to other programs, I contacted the author Chris Breeze and he had this to say,

Hi Jan,

Our DSLR Remote Pro for Windows software doesn't have any "throttling" issues when run on a Surface Pro 3. I've run it on an i3 Surface Pro 3 and it works perfectly.

You can find out more about DSLR Remote Pro and download a free 15-day trial version from http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro

Regards,

Chris Breeze

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
tolusina said:
jrista said:
Third, when it comes to live view tethered shooting, you actually need to use the Canon utility for that. LR does not do live view, however it does let you control the camera from the tablet. I like using the Canon utility, as it basically makes your camera more like a view or field camera with large ground glass........
Just as I was posting above, I tried LR + tether for the first time, though my stupid was in action when I couldn't figure out how to switch on live view, d'oh...

The Canon Utility interface is about as rudimentary as the Canon EOS Remote app for Android. Sorry, I've now seen and used DSLR Controller, can't go back to either of those Canon apps.
I liked DSLR Controller so much on my phones, I bought a tablet primarily to run just that app. Sure I do a few other things on the tablet now that I have it, but I wouldn't have it but for DSLR Controller.

I'm surprised that you have a issue with the Canon Utilities tethering interface for the surface pro 3. I find it to be excellent, it controls every function of the shot. It is not the limited tablet interface for Android or IOS, but has full blown control.

Upvote 0