Tethering speeds

I am using a cable to tether my 5DM3 into Lightroom on my Macbook Pro. I am shooting .CR2. The speed is OK, though I would like it to be faster.

1. Is there anyway to increase the speed of the photos being tethered/imported into Lightroom?
2. If I want to tether wirelessly using a CamRanger are the speeds much slower than what I am experiencing with a cable?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 29, 2011
kat.hayes said:
I am using a cable to tether my 5DM3 into Lightroom on my Macbook Pro. I am shooting .CR2. The speed is OK, though I would like it to be faster.

1. Is there anyway to increase the speed of the photos being tethered/imported into Lightroom?
2. If I want to tether wirelessly using a CamRanger are the speeds much slower than what I am experiencing with a cable?

Thanks in advance.

The CamRanger is not as fast as tethered, some say the speed hit is too much when using RAW, I shoot RAW and jpeg and just send the jpeg to the CameRanger and it works well enough for me. Have you tried tethering just to DPP and import to Lightroom after, I find DPP faster then Lightroom for tethering?

Upvote 0
I'm guessing that there are no real differences between the .CR2 and .JPG for checking composition, lighting. I have never used DPP. I will take a look at it.

1. Is there any reason to tether with .CR2 vs. .JPG visually?
2. If shooting both .CR2 and .JPG is there a way to tether just the .JPG into Lightroom? I just searched and I found some old info indicating it was not, though that was with an older version of Lighroom.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
kat.hayes said:
I'm guessing that there are no real differences between the .CR2 and .JPG for checking composition, lighting. I have never used DPP. I will take a look at it.

1. Is there any reason to tether with .CR2 vs. .JPG visually?
2. If shooting both .CR2 and .JPG is there a way to tether just the .JPG into Lightroom? I just searched and I found some old info indicating it was not, though that was with an older version of Lighroom.

Thanks.

None. That's why I just send the jpeg, you get all the information you need, critical focus, composition, lighting etc but don't get the RAW overhead.

Don't know about Lightroom, I only do the split files with the CamRanger.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
The speed of information send is determined by the slowest part of the chain.
In this case, the camera is the limiting factor when connected by a USB cable to the computer.
And the size of the information. So, jpeg files sizes are only about a quarter or less than that of the RAW file size. In this case, sending jpeg takes shorter time than RAW.
With CamRanger, the limiting speed is the WiFi connection. It would take more than 15 seconds to get a RAW plus jpg files to the target device. Not something you want to do if you're in a hurry. And in the meantime, you almost can't shoot again under the control of the CamRanger until the files are sent.
So, choose your poison. Wired or wireless. Slow or even slower.
-r

Upvote 0